F3H-2 Demon - warning ! pic intensive

Hello Gentlemen,

Haven't been completing anything in a while, here's the 1/48 HobbyBoss F3H-2 Demon, of VF-31 Squadron "Tomcatters". A very impressive kit, quite an easy build providing you correct the few version mixes by Hobby Boss.

Corrected

F3H-2 has the short beaver tail type, while the kit provide the long one.

Weapons stations1 and 8 are moved closer to the wingfold hinge line

Kit is providing Sparrow and Sidewinder missiles, but only Sparrow rails. If using sidewinder, rail is to be changed

Other  : dash is to be trimmed so the front windshield can sit and the articulation plates for stabs were sanded from fuselage and redone in plasticard, so stabs could be posed angled.

Paints are Gunze and Tamiya acryls. 

You need to make room on the shelves, this one is a big boy ;).

Hope you'll like her.

Best,

Stéphane

demon-01.jpg

demon-02.jpg

demon-03.jpg

demon-04.jpg

demon-05.jpg

demon-06.jpg

demon-07.jpg

demon-08.jpg

demon-09.jpg

demon-10.jpg

demon-11.jpg

demon-12.jpg

demon-13.jpg

demon-14.jpg

demon-15.jpg

demon-16.jpg

demon-17.jpg

demon-18.jpg

demon-19.jpg

demon-20.jpg

demon-21.jpg

demon-22.jpg

demon-23.jpg

demon-24.jpg

• Like 38

Very nice Demon Stéphane - lovely build and subtle level of weathering. I can remember way back a discussion on whether the overwing spoilers were proud of the wing or flush. I think they were slightly proud as you have them.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

Hello guys, 

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated. 

Baldy, as for the spoilers, they were added later in the plane development, so I assume that's why it's not flush.  Beside, on all the pics in the Detail and Scale, it's not flush either and there is a raised cover for the Hinge mechanism. 

I always like to discuss these kind of topics, it's what makes this hobby much interesting 😁

Very nicely finished indeed. The weathering you have applied is very well done.

The Demon is an interesting aircraft, you can see details of the Phantom II starting to develop.

Duncan B

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stéphane said:

Hello guys, 

Baldy, as for the spoilers, they were added later in the plane development, so I assume that's why it's not flush.  Beside, on all the pics in the Detail and Scale, it's not flush either and there is a raised cover for the Hinge mechanism. 

I always like to discuss these kind of topics, it's what makes this hobby much interesting 😁

It was added after the airplane was initially deployed due to the reduction in roll rate at high speeds caused by the ailerons being able to twist the wing rather than increase lift. There was a switch over between aileron and the spoiler control. The spoilers were far enough aft on the airfoil to be within the boundary layer when not activated so just scabbing them onto the top of the wing didn’t significantly increase drag.  The two “fingers” on the aft side of the spoiler cover the holes required for the actuator extension to raise the spoilers.

FYI, there were -2s with the longer beaver tail. For that and much, much more, see here: https://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2019/05/more-mcdonnell-f3h-demon-configuration.html

• Like 1

Beautiful model, Stephane.

Glad to see you got 'er done. The F3H seems to have had more little nuances and detail differences than one would think. Seems like i might need to have BOTH Hobby Boss F3H Kits to build two correct, coherent versions.

I know Phase Hangar Resin makes some aftermarket Sparrow rails, for what little that is worth.

I want to build a Demon, but there are 2 F8Us i need to get off the workbench first.

Crusader numeros dos and Tres

-d-

• Like 1

Hello guys,