Four and half of He-111, how many I will manage? * FINISHED ALL*

JWM

Hi

I glued u/c in both Roden Heinkels

50272636841_50ab980f84_b.jpg

50271963433_05c15233f9_b.jpg

The oil coolers are made from a profile (a square tube) with still net to pretend cooler itself.

The props for G-3 are basicly done as resin cast copies from some spare ant-clock pitch ones, and the hubs are scratch build

50272799472_f2eec7db53_b.jpg

Regards

J-W

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Greg Law said:

Yes i like it too. I wish ICM would make a 1/48 version of this plane.

There are some decals for a Hungarian 111P in the early paints. If I am not mistaken then there were also some early P's in the old scheme. I have seen some decals from xtradecals in 1/72 with it.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SBSD7223D?result-token=VYIsj

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72220?result-token=VYIsj

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/lf-models-c48189-heinkel-he-111p--1294855

there were also three conversion sets from cutting edge for the early versions in 1/48. But I think they have become very rare and also very expensive.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/cutting-edge-modelworks-cec48449-heinkel-he-111d-e-conversion-set--202174

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/cutting-edge-modelworks-cec48446-heinkel-he-111b-j-conversion-set--202171

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/cutting-edge-modelworks-cec48452-he-111f-conversion--202176

Cheers,

• Like 1

So let say (?!)  that He-111 E3 is finished:

50291297887_b72866bf82_b.jpg

The scheme is from 1./KG 1 "Hindenburg", Polish campaign, September 1939. Bombers from this unit bombed seaplane base in Puck and flying club in Rumia (not far from Gdańsk, in north-west direction).

More photos in gallery and larger set in RFI

There is some progress with G-3, it will be second post later in evening.

Regards

J-W

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Mottlemaster said:

Congratulations on your superb paint finish and being the first to the gallery.

Thank you! Since I want to do four I have to speed up a bit... :)

Regrads

J-W

That  is very nice indeed. It has really made me want a 1/48 version in that same camouflage scheme.

In fact there is a Cutting-Edge conversion set on Ebay right now. However it would cost me $600NZ so if will pass on that.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Greg Law said:

That  is very nice indeed. It has really made me want a 1/48 version in that same camouflage scheme.

In fact there is a Cutting-Edge conversion set on Ebay right now. However it would cost me $600NZ so if will pass on that.

Thanks! The conversion is really massive - the whole wings and front of fuselage, many details as well. I belive that sooner or later some mainstream company will do the model in 1/48 also... This is very basic machine for WW2 and Spain Civil War.

Regards

J-W

Progress report from G-3

The oil coolers - some modifications and I moved them forward. On the top of photo the profile used to construct coolers.

50291849601_efe83234de_o.jpg 

Engines on positions

50291170483_dd5714c267_o.jpg

50291847441_3ece499f59_o.jpg

50291847796_cd426811ae_o.jpg

The Z and H are pausing...

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

I have started painting of G-3, however if I look at photos I do not see any traces of two colour scheme on it. Looks to have only rlm71 on top... 

Besides what was shown already please have a look here:

50305635501_ea9a7c929f_o.jpg

50305783207_bdb4971d37_b.jpg

Moreover, the "X" has wider white outline and the lettering is just outline, not black insides, just like swastika! OK, maybe the "X" is black, but not the others for sure.

On this picture machine has spinners, still looks like one colour from top and letters are not outlined but they are black and yellow wingtips from bottom are seen

he111g_cph_194x__5a11ce579606ee4f81a536a

Here no spinners, only outlined codes, emblem on nose - were here still yellow wing tips? Who knows...

facfe95b15f3eb1ee31dfb37b84a0a86.jpg

Looks like a time evolution of scheme. Please note, that on this side the "X" looks different from other elements of code. Again wider white - I cannot tell anything on iside of "X" because the wider outline increase contrast and one can see darker inside. 

In this photo of another machine 

50207528738_b67de96c0c_b.jpg

The lettering is black but the last character  "K" (?) has wide white outline. BTW - this is the only photo suggesting two colours on fuselage top.

So - as summary - I will go rather with  single top colour RLM 71, yellow wingtips from bottom and only outlined characters in code, but maybe "X" with black inside...

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

In the colored picture it looks like it has got a 70/71 scheme. the top of the tailfin looks a darker color to me and also on the edge  of the wing the is a difference with green. The black and white pictures are difficult to see, but that could be because the two greens are almost the same. I have seen that before in pictures of some Stuka's.

I hope it helps. 

Cheers,

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Arniec said:

In the colored picture it looks like it has got a 70/71 scheme. the top of the tailfin looks a darker color to me and also on the edge  of the wing the is a difference with green. The black and white pictures are difficult to see, but that could be because the two greens are almost the same. I have seen that before in pictures of some Stuka's.

Absolutely right. IIRC the Schwarzgrun was fading quicker than Dunkelgrun and after some time one couldn't say which one is darker - the only difference was more bluish hue of Schwarzgrun against the more yellowish Dunkelgrun. Thus on the b/w photos they can look like the single colour overall, which led some authors to the conclusion similar to yours. IMHO there were no Luftwaffe aircraft painted in single (i.e. either 70 or 71) Grun on uppersurfaces.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 2

It's the other way round, Michael.  When new the two colours appear very close in b&w photos, at least in some light, on some film, and (certainly) in some poor printing.  That's why it was long thought that prewar Bf109s were in a single tone green.  (It didn't help that the Swiss, Yugoslav and Romanian ones were.)  But in service the Dunkelgrun 71 faded more rapidly, so the pattern is clear on aircraft which have been around a while.  The 71 often seems to appear slightly patchy whereas the 70 still looks a solid tone.

• Like 1

Despite many artworks, as far as I can see there were only a few legitimate options of a single uppersurface green.  There are a few Bf109Es prewar that are difficult to interpret as anything else.  Some trainers including the North American types received an upper coat of dark green when it became necessary to camouflage trainers.  It has often been shown on Eastern Front Stukas and Hs 123s, supposedly after local repairs/repaint but in decent photographic reproductions it only looks convincing on the Henschels.

I may have missed one or two examples.  I'm not sure about Lufthansa aircraft late in the war, some of their Douglases perhaps?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

When new the two colours appear very close in b&w photos, at least in some light, on some film, and (certainly) in some poor printing.  That's why it was long thought that prewar Bf109s were in a single tone green.  But in service the Dunkelgrun 71 faded more rapidly, so the pattern is clear on aircraft which have been around a while.  The 71 often seems to appear slightly patchy whereas the 70 still looks a solid tone.

OK - let's agree mid way. The impression depends most on the light, the film and the print quality. And (although I'm not sure) on the paint supplier. Perhaps you're right if we can trust that every can of Schwarzgrun 70 (as well as the Dunkelgrun 71)  between 1939 and 1945 followed the same chemical formula.

Probably it is not the case (for the Duxford boys weren't using the original RLM formula in the 21st Century), but as the museum curator I'm really used to the various (and totally unpredictable) cases of the paint fading process. Just have a look of the "Schwarzgrun" fading effects on the Duxford-painted Ju-52 at the Polish Aviation Museum in Krakow. Strangely the "Dunkelgrun" painted at the same occasion remains green after all these years.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Despite many artworks, as far as I can see there were only a few legitimate options of a single uppersurface green.  There are a few Bf109Es prewar that are difficult to interpret as anything else.  Some trainers including the North American types received an upper coat of dark green when it became necessary to camouflage trainers.  It has often been shown on Eastern Front Stukas and Hs 123s, supposedly after local repairs/repaint but in decent photographic reproductions it only looks convincing on the Henschels.

I may have missed one or two examples.  I'm not sure about Lufthansa aircraft late in the war, some of their Douglases perhaps?

That was my doubt, because He 111g3 was both: trainer and ex-Lufthansa.  But indeed on one above presented  photo I could see some dark spot on top of fuselage and perhaps also on tail. 

The another photo from anther crash

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/139132001@N03/47970290088/  shows at least again yellow bottom wingtips while already an emblem is present on nose...spaceout.gif

Anyway, Gentelmen, many thanks for efforts to help.

Here is progress report:

The upper side painted Dunkelgrun (RLM 71 - in this role I used Humbrol 116)

50308075592_913b3ce92f_o.jpg

50308075717_0a282b595b_o.jpg

Those were photos from yesterday evening.

After morning reading of e-mails I made masking for RLM-70 application:

50308075887_b6b0f52451_o.jpg

And painted:

50307917481_72b707aaa0_b.jpg

As you see I used the Ford method and painted also He 111 H with the same colors. OK, with one exception from the Ford method - black will be only the bottom side  and it will be  only in "H".  ;)

Regards

J-W

• Like 2