Four and half of He-111, how many I will manage? * FINISHED ALL*

JWM

Hi

Indeed, one can say, that some difference in fit between Hasegawa/Revell and Roden kits can be observed ;) . I will say - easily observed! For instance, the wheel bay is deeper (taller)  for about 2 mm then should be if someone would like to meet wings halves over it.

50189511281_7c73e259f0_o.jpg

I cut the 2 mm in height from tom and again glued wheel bay box together. This was for "E". In case of "G" I used wheel bays from Zwilling kit - there are two spare one.

Similar the fuselage of "G" (originally "C")  - if you set the glued together inside into fuselage halves 2 mm gap appears.

50189765617_99ecd8274a_o.jpg

50188961638_371c9f3efd_o.jpg

To be honest it looks that model was prepared in CAD by some inexperienced engineer who forgot to add 1 mm for thickness of plastic in fuselage or wings halves. So he made the inner parts dimensions also in 1/72, not comprimising the accuracy with material (here plastic) limitations. So I diminished sizes and again it fit.

Similar I did for "E" but here I furnished the bomb "wardrobes"on in each side separately and the main compartment I will stuff with parts from the open belly.

50188961283_bcd5eeb258_o.jpg

The wings for G after sanding (still some corrections needed)

50189765927_530b8f21b9_o.jpg

50189512036_f0e14eb026_o.jpg

To be continued

Cheers

J-W

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Mottlemaster said:

Arnold, , the machine you reference to in Norway ,is that the one shot down by the Skuas asiv painted interior Rlm 02

Cheers Alistair

Yes it is. 

Cheers,

• Like 1

Sorry, I went away for a couple of days on vacation. 

Regarding the engine fairings on my Heinkel He 111G-3. 

In my pictures they were not glued in place because I couldn't find any decent references who showed how their shape. I still haven't found anything useful... 

I guess that they should be smaller than the Junkers Ju 86 ones that I'm going to start from. They are probably slightly larger than the original ones due to the larger frontal area of the engines? 

If you find any information on this I would be really thankful. 🙂 

Nice work with your modification of your early wings. I was lucky to have a scrapped Italeri kit to steal the wings from. 

Rudolf_Filip 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Touvdal said:

So J-W i can see you enjoy the outstanding fit of the Roden kit, have you remembered to order extra filler 😆😆

Cheers

Jes

Actually the saw or razor are even more important than filler :) ,,,

4 hours ago, Rudolf_Filip said:

Regarding the engine fairings on my Heinkel He 111G-3. 

In my pictures they were not glued in place because I couldn't find any decent references who showed how their shape. I still haven't found anything useful... 

I guess that they should be smaller than the Junkers Ju 86 ones that I'm going to start from. They are probably slightly larger than the original ones due to the larger frontal area of the engines? 

If you find any information on this I would be really thankful. 🙂 

This color photo 

he111g_cph_194x__5a11ce579606ee4f81a536a

shows that spinner is still below the position of leading edge center, so it is identical like in V-engines variants. But the upper fairing looks a bit more cylindrical and higher. I am going to use cowlings from RS Do-17P/M model (as I remember there are two sets) ; The cowlings from Do17z looks for me too big. 

The Roden kit of 111 C has additional fairing, I am thinking on use it. If you compare those two drawings:

he111c-c1.jpg 

he111c-c2.jpg

The fairings on top of wing could be very similar, especially if one remember, that I think four "C" were converted later to "L" by replacing engines to radial one.

Menwhile, just to relax a bit I closed fuselages and glued main components of Hase/Revell He 111 H and Z:

50192957073_60291b2f22_o.jpg

50193762867_5193b2867c_o.jpg

Next question to experts: in Zwilling the pilot was siting in right fuselage and only there were control instruments. Buat what was with pilot chair? Was it left there for sight seeing purposes perhaps ( ;) )or was romoved? How do you think or know?

Regards

J-W 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Arniec said:

take a look here J-W. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinkel_He_111

Cheers,

Is it about my question on pilot position? It is said there:

"The layout of the He 111Z had the pilot and his controls in the port fuselage only. The controls themselves and essential equipment were all that remained in the starboard section. The aircraft had a crew of seven; a pilot, first mechanic, radio operator and gunner in the port fuselage, and the observer, second mechanic and gunner in the starboard fuselage."

Since my English is maybe not that perfect I am not sure what is said here . 

Port is left side. So pilot was sitting in left fuselage (not right as I found somewhere previously) .  The next sentence says that control instruments were also in second fuselage, but not used?  Did I got it correct?

Regarding G engine fairings: Since the BMW engine was also in Do 17 P-Z I used the Monogram Do-17 cowling to check diameters. since behind engine the cylindrical part of fairing is of the same diameter:.

50196850567_1038d46d68_o.jpg

50196042283_6ecfd367ec_o.jpg

50196591401_192431d4b7_o.jpg

Looks that it does not need any extra fairing on the top side of wing.

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

If the He 111 G3 had the same BMW engine "egg" like Ju-90 had (see the Wiki link)

17 hours ago, Arniec said:

take a look here J-W. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinkel_He_111

Cheers,

The dark object below the leading edge is an exhaust pipe

he111g_cph_194x__5a11ce579606ee4f81a536a

(to be compared with this https://www.flickr.com/photos/skylarkair/40207206585  or

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-transport-transportation-aviation-airplanes-junkers-ju-90-wuerttemberg-86496686.html )

and  light point below the cowling at its end (second is invisible ) is the mounting point

Regards

J-W

• Like 2

On 6 augustus 2020 at 10:48 PM, JWM said:

Is it about my question on pilot position? It is said there:

"The layout of the He 111Z had the pilot and his controls in the port fuselage only. The controls themselves and essential equipment were all that remained in the starboard section. The aircraft had a crew of seven; a pilot, first mechanic, radio operator and gunner in the port fuselage, and the observer, second mechanic and gunner in the starboard fuselage."

Since my English is maybe not that perfect I am not sure what is said here . 

Port is left side. So pilot was sitting in left fuselage (not right as I found somewhere previously) .  The next sentence says that control instruments were also in second fuselage, but not used?  Did I got it correct?

Yes, that is correct. As in a normal 111, the observer/ bombardeer could take over when the pilot got wounded.

Cheers,

• Thanks 1

Hi 

I dig out my old silicon form for large tank as used in Zwilling (since mine Zwilling kit is a bomber Z2 variant and I am going to do Z1). This is a copy from Italeri Do 217 K. I did it some 15 years ago doing long range Iraqi Me 110. I have found only form fro a part without tail, but add of Tail 9stabilizer) will not be difficult. Here we have four tanks cast with resin:

50208023371_2942b6d6a8_o.jpg

The inside of G-3 I decided to do very basic, like with other military cargo with only a ditting along the walls of cabine. No data how it should be if fact, on the other hand not too much can be observed by windows.

50207498783_2af109e8b2_o.jpg

It started to work with radial engines fairings and I glued fuselages from both Roden kits

50208299872_a2efac7ab3_o.jpg

I  have found in Net very interesting photos of G-3 after belly landing

50207528738_b67de96c0c_b.jpg

It is interesting since it is very likely the same machine(is it X in withe outline?) with only one character from code outlined and without number 28 on tail. The wings fairings really looks like standard ones,

Another photo from the same crash (?) 

50208337777_76eaea6072_b.jpg

again shows small fairings like standard, reveals small inlets on top of cowlings and something on nose tip (landing lamp or photo gun?) and DF loop/

@Rudolf_Filip - so the cowling fairings I suggest just leave original

Regards

J-W

{Edid - added p.s }.

This is another crash! The positions of props are different.

Edited by JWM
added PS
  • Like 4

J-W, nice pictures. I think that it is White outlined K on the fuselage. 

Great progress with your builds. Good work on the droptanks.

Cheers,

• Thanks 1

Hi

Since Zwilling was build in H-16 either H-6 standard I will have to find out if for example DG+DY one was based on H-16. The ICM kit in 1/48 suggest this particular machine as a doubled H-6. 

Here are some possible (in same cases) or sure photos from Net (

Heinkel-He-111Z-Zwilling-Stkz-DG+xx-01.j

Heinkel-He-111Z-Zwilling-Stkz-DG+xx-02.j

Heinkel-He-115Z1-DG+DY-WNr-2704-during-e

Heinkel-He-115Z1-DG+DY-WNr-2704-towing-G

For me the spinners are long, the upper gunner position is in H-16 style (longer, with fixed part, not lobster tail rear part)  and the gunner gondola has no side windows - so again the H-16 style.  Any experts's comment on that?

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

J-W, this could be possible. But maybe you could search on the codes given, so you know for sure.

It is not much of a help, but I hope it is usefull.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Arnold, thank you. I will try. 

I stated to work on engines  - besides simply glueing I am blinding the back of carburetor intake and the upper cooler

50216164936_1da3e02de8_o.jpg

regards

J-W

• Like 2

Just another photo of DG+DY

Heinkel-He-111-Zwilling-7.jpg.b579afeba5

Now it looks more like doubled H-6. The upper gunner canopy seens to be a lobstar-tail type and gondola has large window from back....

What can be notice here is different gun in nose - the starboard one looks heavier, 

Here ( https://live.warthunder.com/post/600569/en/ ) it is suggested that only four saw operational service, and DG+DY was photograpjed on Eastern front, so apparently in operational circumstances. 

Here the difference in nose MGs is seen also

he111z_02.jpg

Another photo from net (this is DG+D? - rather not "Y" ! , mabe "Z"? - they have subsequent radio codes?)

1Zwilling.jpg

Maybe I will quit my research and just follow for example this (upper - winter) scheme

AIM48D027_3.jpg?t=1581863661

Some other people solved my question, since the lobster tail upper canopy repeats everywhere...

BTW - the code could be also DG+DV!

profiles.jpg

Above one is from ICM box in 1/48.

Next one (the most bottom there):

R2X5VO894xPejyJj_4RCYjUMvhQ60sRyfBfARwnl

Regards

J-W

• Like 2

The ring just behind the spinner at least in He 111 e looks like painted in some color different from any one from camo. I think it is RLM-02

7-2.jpg

15-2.jpg

here it is not so well visible

4-1.jpg

Newer models had it painted in two color (RLM 70 and 02?)

35-2.jpg

25-2.jpg

BTW - I have found nice photo of V4+AB

15-3.jpg

• Like 1

Progress report

50242134381_e88639412d_o.jpg

In case of H 111 H I decided to do small conversion from H6 to H3 variant. So the props and spinners are taken from Roden kit:

50242346537_d11b5ea9f5_o.jpg

It will be most likely this scheme

2_2.jpg

He 111g3 - I scribed ailerons, the nine cylinder engines are copy from DC2 (SH) - they looks very similar to BMW 132 , cowlings are taken from RS Do 17 P (spare one)

50242134686_e124accafc_o.jpg

And He 111 e, it will be V4+BH from Polish campaign, sep. 39., this scheme

2_50.jpg

50242346932_20f9eed5ee_o.jpg

Regards

J-W

• Like 5

I was closing today cockpits in He 111 e and g-3. So I glued the instrument panel to canopy, painted in RLM-02 before, aplied decals, added safety belts cut out  from Tamiya tape darkered with permanent black pen 

50245930162_8439930c89_o.jpg

Similar with He 111 g-3, but since I am doing this machine from blind flying school I think it must be double controlled, so I added second control wheel

50245083988_e330a8161d_o.jpg

After gluing canopy in the G-3 some putty I had to add to align canopy and curve of fuselage (this problem did not existed in case of E, so maybe it was due to intense sanding...)

50245084393_b5dcc0fe27_o.jpg

On above photo you can notice also scribed surface of upper side of wing and engines glued into cowlings.

In the evening I started painting of He 111e, using thinned colours. There will be 3 layers applied. I do not use any masks, it is a free hand painting with flat brush No 4.

50245084138_fb0ddb69fb_o.jpg

50245084258_2907f8f484_o.jpg

To be continued...

Regards

J-W

• Like 9

The He 111E painted with masking done using Tamiya tape (Humbrol 98, 117 and 64)

50255549143_039e78aeb6_o.jpg

some corrections needed...Canopies need masking and painting

Regards

J-W

• Like 9