Jurasic Park Diorama & Other Themes

Ailsa McVicar

I'm new to model building and I have a could of dinosaur models in my growing stash, my idea is to do a Jurasic Park theme, years after park was abandoned & a predator attacking herbivore scene.  I'm researching how to do dioramas and I wonder if you wouldn't mind sharing with a new mobel builder your experience & if possible a basic list of what I'd need, shopping list if you will.  Of course I am doing my own research or trying to.  I do have other theme ideas I want to do as well.

This would be very much appreciated :)

Edited by Ailsa McVicar
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Ailsa McVicar said:

basic list of what I'd need

What you need is a skip – preferably with a neighbour doing new building work, as insulation board is perfect as a base, and very easy to carve into natural looking shapes. Use diluted PVA glue to seal the surface.

You probably know already about there being no grass at the time, so you'll need something else to cover the base. You could use sand* mixed with diluted PVA glue. If you are concerned that the grain scale is too big, you can grind it down in a cheap mortar & pestle and then sieve it. I've done that for 1/48 so (I assume) 1/35 should be okay. It will look dark to start but will get lighter when it dries fully. If it isn't light enough, when the PVA is fully dry, it is possible to paint over it.

You can buy loads of stuff for dioramas, but half the time you can use things that are free or very cheap.

* If the sand is damp in the bag, you might need to put it in the oven for about 20mins (I put it in takeaway foil containers). That will stop it going mouldy over time.

• Like 1

If you are landscaping, plaster bandage is cheap, and will allow you to form rolling terrain ... but keep the area under your figures flat; they were designed to stand on a table or shelf and will look wrong if they are toppling.

Because you are modelling a post-Jurassic Park scene, modern things could sneak in - including modern grass, birds, and mammals (including humans and their toys).

p.s. If you do use plaster bandage, there is a trick that makes it easier to work with.
Don't soak the bandage, but lay it flat(ish) where you want it.
Spray with water (a cheap plant watering spray will help) and leave to soak up the water.
Wearing a rubber glove (optional) use your fingers to gently stir the surface of the plaster ... you don't want to disturb the bandage, but to start filling the holes in the weave.

It didn't register yesterday that you were doing a modern Jurassic dio, so grass is okay. The only realistic way (that I've seen) in 1/35 to do realistic grass is by using 'static grass'. There are loads of videos about static grass online – the applicators are cheap (about £15 when I last looked) but to make it more realistic you will need three or four different types of grass – different lengths and/or shade of green. If you just use one type it won't look realistic unless you are going for the manicured lawn look.

Incidentally, if you want a darker cover representing soil or mud, you can use soil from the garden in the same way that I mentioned sand although you will definitely have to cook in the oven to kill bacteria. This is a thread about the process:

Please let me know if you can't see the photos.

• Like 1

For grass I like plush ... soft toy fur (find it on evil bay)

Look for natural colours, possibly with some variation in colour (e.g. lighter tips)

This article gives a good idea ...

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/mink_grass/

obj27geo27pg1p33.jpg

Don't splash out on all the fancy tools used there - a pair of sharp scissors is all I used for mowing the hair ... and a bin to collect the trimmings.
A bit of PVA glue or acrylic medium will help stiffen the hairs after mowing and help any paint to adhear.

p.s. Watch out for the edges of the cloth - it will need camouflaging (hide it with mud, or under stones &c.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 3:51 PM, Eric Mc said:

Your starter question for 10 points - in the first Jurassic Park movie, how many actual Jurassic Era dinosaur species make an appearance.

I'm guessing it's a very low number...... errrr.......none?

Chris.  

• 2 months later...