Help needed - Scissor Bridge for Valentine/Covenantor/Crusader

scoopey

Hello there folks,

Does anyone have pictures or plans for the Scissor Bridge that was used on smaller British AFV's like the Valentine etc.
S and S Models do a conversion kit but I suspect like the Churchill ARVE Bridge Layer conversion, the main bridge pieces will be solid with recessed areas representing the frame.

I plan on using the white metal hull parts to do the conversion but would then scratchbuild my own bridge frames...but I need a proper plans or some descent pictures if I use the resin pieces as a starting point,

Regards

Steve C

George Bradford offers a good set of 1/48 scale plans for the Valentine Bridgelayer - http://afvplans.blogspot.com/

The Tank Museum at Bovington used to offer 'Plans Packs' (not sure if they still do) including a very good set for the Valentine. They aren't plans in the usual sense but copies of many component parts and stowage diagrams.

John

I had a look at the plans albeit I couldn't find them.
The IWM tip was good - never thought of that and you can download a low res version which is perfect.
I'm guessing the size of the Bridge spars on the S and S models is correct so I can use them as template for an open frame version. What was good with the IWM pictures is they were taken at the "proving ground" so you get to see it partially deployed. Certain details I suppose would be a compromise at 1/72.

Bovington of course have a Valentine bridgelayer 'in the flesh', so to speak. It is complete.  You can get right up to it to take your own photos of the mechanism and bridge structure, although in its new location the back is less accessible in a corner: flash definitely needed. Taking measurements is permitted there, but if you fancy getting up on your stepladder to measure or want to get up on the vehicle itself then you will need to ask special permission from the curatorial dept.

Their archive dept is not yet re-opened and I imagine they will have an enquiry backlog.

From the hull perspective it is the prototype on a Mk1 petrol engined hull, whereas production vehicles were on diesel Mk IIs. The mechanism was not changed except in minor detail IIRC.

hi scoopey

yes our bridge is a solid resin casting due to cost and casting ability.

the mmp book is worth getting however.

you should be able to use some of our metal bits for the conversion but they have been simplified for gamers and ease of assembly.

thanks

shaun

s&s models.

No worries, I liked the hull fitting anyhows, hence I ordered it. I figured if the frames were made in resin then they would snap very easily lol!

Even Airfix simplified their Bridge Layer and the decking is the wrong pattern for a WW2 vehicle.
I have figured out how I might go about it.

• Like 1