HMS Ark Royal IV circa 1977 scratchbuilt 1/1250

Amazing details after the casting process is it white metal cast  :book:

looks so smooth I thought it would have been a resin  🤔

beefy

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 6:37 AM, mollythedog said:

Thanks for all the encouraging comments. As I have said on a number of occasions,the size of the model doesn't really apply,if you want to make something then just treat it as "blocks" and scale accordingly, whether 1/200 or 1/1250 makes little difference,except of course that in larger scales you can work in much more detail. But a model is a model in the end. Except when it's a dogs dinner that is. 

The thing continues to fight me, even just trying to photo a hull proved beyond my lighting and photo set up,it is just a teeny bit too big to really fit the background. Apologies for the grubby mitts, I have been rebuilding the front end of my wifes 1972 Honda 350K and the sludge from the front fork oil and rock hard steering head bearing grease won't come off. Another reason to avoid models for the moment,as oily or greasy hands destroy paint finishes. 

So here is a hull casting, one piece and in metal. It has been fettled a bit,but not much,and primed and blown over in a top coat. My old camera decided not to allow me to reset depth of field hence blurry ends, but you get the idea. The model dates from so far back that I have almost no constructional photos so these will have to do. 

Dscn0563 1

Dscn0562 1

I also got a header notice the other day going on about postings for WIP of RFI that had no photos, not sure why that was, maybe I hadn't posted enough,or maybe it was just a generic thing. I am sure the mods will red flag me or something if it applies....

mtd

Outstanding.  I haven't visited in some time but am so very glad I did.  Chris

This is far as I've got on this,though there are several "modules" still not shown. I guess you can refer to aircraft as "modules" when thinking of aircraft carriers,as they make up the main weapons system. 

Ark grey 4

Ark grey 2

Ark grey 3

Dscn0232 1

Dscn0229 1

mtd

• Like 10

11 hours ago, mollythedog said:

Dscn0229 1

This really is all rather remarkable. Here I am continually convincing myself that 1/700 is way too small now and that all future large warship builds for me must be 1/350 at the very least, and you give us this...................

So where do you get such HUGE tins of Humbrol enamel?

Terry

• Haha 1