1/72nd Valom Vickers Valetta C.Mk.1, 84 Sqn, Cyprus 1956, Suez Crisis

Your modelling is as impressive as ever with this one Tony and the back story is very enlightening. 

The Valetta is a good looking, but portly aeroplane when compared to Dakota, which seems somewhat slender by comparison, but they do make a good looking pair. 

The RAF had a fine selection of aircraft during this period in it's history for the modeller to choose from and seeing models of this calabre certainly has me drawn to the stash and thence the workbench. 

Thank you for a great WIP and the beautiful photographs that you've attached, but most of all, thanks once again for the inspiration. 

• Like 1

Superb work as usual, Tony! The Suez stripes really suit this tubby little bird. (Very slimming ;) )

This must have been about the last time the Wimpy (or at least a derivative of it) was used in anger like this? (Coming under fire that is.)

• Like 2

That is excellent!

Must admit, at first I didn't know what a Valetta was, until I saw your photos and went "oh, that it's that one".

Always learning on this site!

:goodjob:

• Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 9:33 PM, Andy Dyck said:

Hi,

absolutely perfect. Never saw this amazing plane. 

cheers

Andy 

Thanks Andy,..... much appreciated,..... yeah the Valetta was something of an unsung warrior.

On 7/25/2020 at 9:42 PM, RichieW said:

Totally in agreement, don't really need to say any more than that. Andy said it already.

Richie

Cheers Richie.

On 7/25/2020 at 10:19 PM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

This is a really stunning build, and encourages those of us who have not tackled Valom kits previously to try our hand at this attractive subject.  One of my favorite shots shows how glossy smooth the cabin transparencies are: you can see silver reflections off the engine nacelles in the windows!

Thanks mate,.... Valom have come a long way recently and yes, the canopy was the same width as the fuselage this time! In the shot that I think you mean, the last one, above the Dakota,...... you can actually see the nacelle on the other wing through both sets of windows!!! The glazing in this kit was very clear indeed. 

On 7/25/2020 at 10:25 PM, VG 33 said:

Hi Tony

It is very nice and I like this aircraft too.

Patrick

Thank you Patrick,.... like you,.... I prefer to go for the less well known subjects.

On 7/25/2020 at 10:29 PM, woody37 said:

Proper little beaut and great background to it as well mate :)

Cheers Neil,..... glad you like it mate and the little history too,...... looking forward to seeing your next build. 

On 7/25/2020 at 10:32 PM, Buzby061 said:

Absolutely lovely. Something I never thought I’d see in plastic. 

Pete

Thanks Pete,...... me neither mate,...... we are being blessed lately,...... roll on a Hastings eh?!!!

On 7/25/2020 at 11:37 PM, Binbrooksumpy said:

Don't know how you keep up the pace. Lovely kite, and an absolutely fantastic finish. 

Thanks mate,..... glad you like the finish too,...... the brushed on coat of so called matt left just the semi gloss sheen that I wanted........ just by not shaking the bottle. 

On 7/25/2020 at 10:50 PM, Pete in a shed said:

Excellent job. Great scheme. The whole project has been beautifully executed. 

Cheers

Pete

Thanks Pete,..... glad you`ve enjoyed the built too,...... we got there in the end eh!! 

On 7/25/2020 at 10:50 PM, RidgeRunner said:

A super job, Tony!

Martin

Thanks Martin,..... glad you like it mate.

On 7/25/2020 at 10:59 PM, Murdo said:

Now that's niiiiice!!!!!!!

:clap2:

The transparencies look superb.

Valom have some really nice kits and their customer service is excellent!

Cheers Murdo,...... yeah Valom have really improved their transparencies and they fit now too! Valom really are turning out some nice stuff and I do hope they consider a Hastings! 

On 7/25/2020 at 11:07 PM, kev67 said:

Just to add what I have said before, a lovely build Tony, will have to crack on with mine 

Cheers Kev,..... yeah I look forward to seeing yours finished too. More the merrier!

On 7/25/2020 at 11:27 PM, RMCS said:

Stunning 

Thanks mate,..... glad you like it. 

On 7/25/2020 at 11:35 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Lovely model Tony, great work as always fella. They look very chunky and quite a large machine looking at it next to the Dakota.

Looks fantastic.

All the best

Chris

Cheers Chris and thanks for your support along the way as usual. Yeah it is surprisingly chunky and with those two Hercules engines it must have been pretty nippy too compared to the old Dak? 

On 7/25/2020 at 11:49 PM, Shorty84 said:

Great model and nice backstory. Amazing how you can maintain pace and still keep your build quality that high. Wish I could manage a fraction of your output.

Cheers

Markus

Thanks Markus,.... glad you like it and the back story,...... I just keep chugging along and usually have a couple of models on the go at the same time,.....with others on the backburner. The thing is,....I`ve nowhere to put them now as I`ve run out of room!

On 7/25/2020 at 11:55 PM, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

Great work and encouraging me to fork out some readies to get one Tony - and I did not envision it being bulkier than a Dak.

Thanks mate and I hope you enjoy yours,.... I`ve certainly enjoyed mine and have another lined up. Yeah the Dak is surprisingly slender compared to the old `Pig' isn`t it! 

On 7/26/2020 at 1:24 AM, SAT69 said:

Agree absolutely!

Thanks mate. 

On 7/26/2020 at 2:27 AM, stevehnz said:

That is brilliant Tony. I'm trying to resist one of these, you're making it hard though. ;) :unsure: That comparison between the Dak & the Valetta is interesting, chubby wee chap isn't it? Very similar in size otherwise.

Steve.

Thanks Steve and thanks again for your support too. The Valetta was used to re supply ANZAC troops in Malaya and Borneo,.... if that helps you to decide!!  Yeah the old `Pig' was a chubby chappie indeed.

On 7/26/2020 at 2:46 AM, Space Ranger said:

Gorgeous model of an aircraft most Norteamericanos are probably unfamiliar with, as well as the paradrop to secure the airfield. I had never heard of the latter, but I was only 10 years old at the time of the actual event.

Thank you,.... yeah I can see why most North American`s would be oblivious to the Valetta,..... but it was a very important aircraft to the British Army,..... and glad to hear that I taught you something new about the Suez campaign too. 

On 7/26/2020 at 7:39 AM, Eric Mc said:

Great build. One of my favourite aeroplanes, whether in Viking or Valetta form.

Thanks Eric,.... yeah mine too,...... I love the Hastings and the Beverley too,..... hint hint to any manufacturer reading this,....LOL

On 7/26/2020 at 7:56 AM, DaveyGair said:

A superb and well researched model as usual Tony. Resisting the urge to buy one as not the usual subject I go for. I may wait until someone releases a decal sheet, just if it's based on information supplied by yourself of course 😉

Davey

Cheers Davey,......  glad you like it mate and if you like post war RAF aircraft you have to get one before they sell out,.... as Valom kits swiftly seem to do. I have hinted at a decal sheet with one manufacturer and sent some info,.... so fingers crossed eh?

On 7/26/2020 at 10:06 AM, Spitfire31 said:

A marvellous model and an interesting history lesson as well.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim,..... glad you like it and the history too. 

On 7/26/2020 at 11:20 AM, Meatbox8 said:

That is a wonderful looking Valetta.  A great paint finish and interesting scheme.  I've never seen the trim in that sand/yellow colour before but it really suits it.  I'm going to have to save my pennies and get one of these I think.  An interesting comaprison with the Dakota.  Curiously the proportions of the Valetta make it look like the model is of a bigger scale of a smaller aircraft, it that makes sense.

Cheers mate,..... glad you like the model and its `different' scheme. It definitely looks portly compared to the Dakota,....not such a bad thing with a transport,....and you must get one,...before they sell out. I know what you mean about the scale thing too,.... strange isn`t it?

On 7/26/2020 at 11:57 AM, Robin said:

That is an excellent piece of work, very interesting to have seen the amount of effort that went into the build.  Sadly, my effort is on hold at the moment, but I will get there in the end, hopefully.

Cheers Robin, it may have been a lot of ffort but I really enjoyed it and I look forward to seeing yours finished when you get the chnce. 

21 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

Absolutely stunning! 👍

Thanks mate,...... it must look better in the photos,..... which makes a change LOL

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Fantastic build Tony, always liked the look of the Valetta after having a good look around the example at Flixton.

A Varsity next, or maybe you've already built one?

Martin

Thanks Martin,...... I`m hoping to get to Flixton next month as I`ve never been before,......looking forward to seeing a real Valetta at last. Varsity you say,..... well mine was a victim of the cellar flood,..... but I`ve rescued it yesterday and I`m hoping to re build it,...... here it is at the moment looking a bit sad and worse for wear with some bits missing.

DSCF8393.jpg

DSCF8394.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cngaero said:

Your modelling is as impressive as ever with this one Tony and the back story is very enlightening. 

The Valetta is a good looking, but portly aeroplane when compared to Dakota, which seems somewhat slender by comparison, but they do make a good looking pair. 

The RAF had a fine selection of aircraft during this period in it's history for the modeller to choose from and seeing models of this calabre certainly has me drawn to the stash and thence the workbench. 

Thank you for a great WIP and the beautiful photographs that you've attached, but most of all, thanks once again for the inspiration. 

Cheers Chris,.... that is very kind of you. If I`ve inspired you, then that is brilliant,....... and I couldn`t ask for more. 

11 hours ago, Dunny said:

Lovely finish Tony - congratulations! :clap2:

Cheers Dunny and thanks for the encouragement along the way too.

9 hours ago, Gazontipede said:

Superb work as usual, Tony! The Suez stripes really suit this tubby little bird. (Very slimming ;) )

This must have been about the last time the Wimpy (or at least a derivative of it) was used in anger like this? (Coming under fire that is.)

Thanks mate,..... yeah they say that stripes can be slimming LOL! The Valetta was used a lot in the Middle East and Far East and I dare say they came under fire from small arms fire in these areas too,..... the Arab`s were always pooping off at passing RAF aircraft and could be very accurate shots,..... they even shot down a Hunter! 

9 hours ago, kapam said:

That is excellent!

Must admit, at first I didn't know what a Valetta was, until I saw your photos and went "oh, that it's that one".

Always learning on this site!

Thanks very much,... very kind of you to say so. Glad to be able to put a name to a face so to speak!

3 hours ago, Duncan B said:

A stunning build as ever, very nice work.

Duncan B

Thanks Duncan and very kind of you to say so,...... cheers.

1 hour ago, Meatbox8 said:

Ha ha.  Your flood damaged Varsity look a darned sight better than most of my builds!

LOL,.... you should see it close up mate,..... it is a mess and was built around 20 years ago if not longer and was a bit rough to start with,...... lovely kit,....I just didn`t have the skill to make the most of it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonyot said:

Thanks Martin,...... I`m hoping to get to Flixton next month as I`ve never been before,......looking forward to seeing a real Valetta at last. Varsity you say,..... well mine was a victim of the cellar flood,..... but I`ve rescued it yesterday and I`m hoping to re build it,...... here it is at the moment looking a bit sad and worse for wear with some bits missing.

DSCF8393.jpg

DSCF8394.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Nah, I like the look of that as it is! Nicely weathered! 😉

If you go to Flixton I hope they're accomodating & let you have a look inside! It's been a good few years since I was allowed to take a few pics inside it. If memory serves me right, I might have some pics on the walkaround section here of its interior.

What I'd really like to see is a red & white Varsity like the one at Cosford!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Just wonderful!

TT

Cheers TT,........ 

7 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Nah, I like the look of that as it is! Nicely weathered! 😉

If you go to Flixton I hope they're accomodating & let you have a look inside! It's been a good few years since I was allowed to take a few pics inside it. If memory serves me right, I might have some pics on the walkaround section here of its interior.

What I'd really like to see is a red & white Varsity like the one at Cosford!

LOL,.... The Varsity is a bit too weathered,..... it looks more like a barn find!! I`ve looked up lixton and they are still closed which is a shame,..... I`m going down to Duxford next month as a birthday prezzie,.... making it a short family break and was hoping to dart across to Norwich! Might just go to the Shuttleworth again,..... I love that place,.....the smells,,, everything!

The Varsity at Cosford is in Raspberry Ripple colours and it is very close to my heart,........it was based at Farnborough and during P Company,..... the selection for the Paras,.....I was really struggling to keep up on the 10 miler,...... up to my shins in mud out on the tank tracks on the training area,..... when I heard this loud roaring noise and that Varsity came over the tree`s at less than 100 feet having just taken off,........ it really bucked me up and I got my 3rd wind to catch up with the squad and get in under the allotted time. I`m tempted to do it in this scheme,.... but may just go for a red white and grey scheme,......... there are some great schemes in this book,..... so I may have a flick through it at some stage;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAF-Little-Rissington-1946-History/dp/0993093442

Cheers,.... Tony

5 hours ago, basket said:

Thanks for sharing with us.

It's the first time I hear from this beautiful cargo bird. ( shame on me ... ).

Your replica is brilliantely executed. 

Thank you ever so much,..... and glad to introduce you to a new aeroplane. 

5 hours ago, PhantomLover said:

Absolutely lovely build and subject! (although imho the Valetta looks like a Dakota eggplane...)

Kind regards,

Gerben

Thanks Gerben and yeah I can see what you mean,.... eggplane LOL!!

5 hours ago, Paulaero said:

That's very very nice mate !!

Easy to see the linage between the Valetta and the Varsity, what scheme were you going for , might have some decals floating about .....

Thanks Paul,........ yeah you can definitely see the family lineage can`t you eh!  I would like to be brave and go for the Rasperry Ripple scheme for reasons explained above,...... but I`m not sure about the scheme on the Varsity,...... maybe red white and grey,..... I`m not sure yet. If you have any decals that might help they would be much appreciated cheers mate.

All the best

Tony

People are saying they are glad to see the Valetta/Viking in plastic. I seem to recall that Maquette did a 1/72 Valetta/Viking making use of the FROG Wellington moulds to which was added a new fuselage - or am I imagining things? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

People are saying they are glad to see the Valetta/Viking in plastic. I seem to recall that Maquette did a 1/72 Valetta/Viking making use of the FROG Wellington moulds to which was added a new fuselage - or am I imagining things? 

If you have a look at my WIP you`ll see a photo of the parts along with a vacuformed kit too,...... the Maquette parts were very crude and were for a Viking.  

3 hours ago, russ c said:

Brilliant job Tony and a bit different too

Cheers Russ,..... glad you like it,...... my next one will be more up your street as it will be a Far East Transport Wing aircraft.

3 hours ago, T-21 said:

Such a nice change lovely markings . There are other worthy aircraft than Spitfires !!

Yeah I like to go for the less obvious,..... both subjects and markings.  

• Like 1

A real rarity there, I don't think I've ever seen a model of the Valetta. Interesting story too.

Surprising how big it is next to the Dak.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Viking said:

A real rarity there, I don't think I've ever seen a model of the Valetta. Interesting story too.

Surprising how big it is next to the Dak.

Cheers

John

Thanks John,..... glad you like it and yeah it does look surprisingly large,.....portly even,.... compared to the old Dak. 

5 hours ago, Vulcanicity said:

Terrific stuff Tony, looks great! Had my eye on this for a while and now very tempted to buy one :)

Cheers mate,...... if you are tempted I`d get one quick because Valom kits soon sell out and become very hard to find and rather expensive! I`d search e bay first as you can get them for around £33 post free,...... rather than £45!

Thanks fellas,

Tony