Su-35 cockpit surround colour / Aubergine

lesthegringo

Hi all, I have the Kittyhawk Su-35 Flanker -E kit which depicts some Russian and Chinese subjects. I haven't quite settled on a scheme yet, I sort of like the Aubergine  scheme, which has you mixing Gunze 131 'propeller colour' and 37 RLM 75 together but am not convinced of whether is is right. If anyone has done this and can comment I'd like to know what you think. If there is a better (preferably single) colour in the Gunze / Tamiya / Humbrol ranges I would like to know about it. I know MRP do a dedicated colour, but right now I don't trust the local mail service as many things I have ordered from on line vendors have never shown up, and as they are not available locally internet would be the only way.

But all the schemes seem to have the same colour as the cockpit surround but there is no colour callout on the Kittyhawk instructions. I am thinking it is black, but would like confirmation of this

Cheers

Les

Hi Les,

if you want an accurate colour, AKAN is your only choice (AKAN 63166 or their water-based acrylics as AKAN 73166). While Gunze and MRP do this colour too, Gunze (Mr.Color 393) is much too blue and MRP (MRP-205) is too purple. Gunze makes another colour, Mr.Colour AVC06 which I cannot comment on regarding accuracy.

If you want to mix it yourself, the Russians matched the eggplant colour to RAL 7015.

Of course this colour can fade quite dramatically, so if you don't want to show an pristine example the Gunze/MRP colours maybe of use.

Cheers

Markus

Thanks guys. There are not many Model shops in Budapest, and I have been round them all. You can get Revell, Humbrol, Tamiya and Gunze paints in limited quantities / ranges, but I have never seen AKAN in any of the stores, nor Mr Paint unfortunately, despite the fact that you would have thought it probable.

I hope the current situation improves, then I can try and mail order it, but right now it is not worth the risk of the stuff never arriving.

Cheers

Les

AK interactive also makes a “dark eggplant grey” which is pretty spot on (and with Mr Leveling Thinner sprays beautifully). This site here https://www.e-paint.co.uk/Compare_colours.asp gives as another close match to RAL 7015 extra dark sea grey which is available in the Humbrol range for example but I can’t vouch for in terms of accuracy. MRPs eggplant grey is too purple but they also make a FS36076 which is the closest match to RAL 7015.

Thanks guys. The simplest for me in the current situation may be the Tamiya option, though I may be able to use that to help me formulate a Gunze mix - they spray better than Tamiya.

The other solution is to wait until the mail services are more reliable, which considering the other kits I have in my stash, is not a bad option!

Les