Problems with an AS196 Compressor

The Lampost

I purchased the above compressor last December and until recently it was great but recently its started to sound like an engine where the bigs are failing, It rattles really loudly and i'm mystified what it could be. Can anyone help me to resolve this problem?

It sounds like a moving part has worked its way loose (an educated guess, admittedly). I'm no expert on the internal mechanisms of compressors - I'm sure more learned folk on here will be able to advise you. Does the casing get very hot after a lot of use? I've been told this can be a real issue with the "cheaper" Chinese machines.

Hope this is of some help to you. 

Chris. 

Is it a constant rattling? Or does it do that when it goes toward the 6bar limit (or whatever it is on that one)? 

Best case scenario you have a faulty bearing, worst case there's something wrong with the piston. You're going to have to tear it down and check everything. 

The compressor is fine to start with but as the pressure increases to about 2 bar (what I have set it too), then the rattling starts. As its a new unit, Iess than 6 months old, So I wouldn't think that it's worn bearings or piston slap. In the interim I have dropped a line to the supplier, informing them of the problem.

I'd have a brief look around with it running, and if it's not something obvious that you can just nip up on the exterior, I would rely on your guarantee rather than risk voiding the warranty :)

Thanks Mike

Thats sound advice and many thanks for that. The reason for my Post was to see if anyone had experienced the same problem and also to get a handle on the likely source of the problem so that I can talk to the supplier with a degree of confidence. I must admit I thought the compressor was great from day one, it performed faultlessly until now. I was disappointed when it happened and I thought I would reach out to you guys.

Many thanks

David

A friend has one....bought a few years ago, can't remember exactly when. I had a chance to hear at the very first run and then about a year later. There was a definite change in the sound, a subtle rattling. It works just fine, but there's definitely some wear somewhere. Given the level of QC in the cheap area of Chinese products it wouldn't be unlikely that you have a faulty part somewhere. If you do still have a warranty by all means use it. I thought it had expired.

Thank You for that. I sent an Email to the supplier yesterday and have yet to receive a response. I will give them a call on Monday and try and move things along.

Kind Regards to all those who have responded and many thanks

David