Introduction and overview of 3D printing technologies

qn30jEkPz7

Hi LostCosmonauts

This is a really good overview on the universe of 3D Printing. I work in the 3D Printing world and focus on the liquid resin printing systems. I also teach a university level course on the liquid resin 3D Printing technology.

I would like to suggest a correct to your description of DLP print technology. The LCD DLP technology description is good but that is not the primary technology used for DLP printing. By far and away, the most common type of DLP printing uses a DLP projector like the type that is used for PowerPoint presentations in an office or classroom. This is where the DLP name came from. A UV light source is used to project the 2D image onto the liquid resin where it is cured in a manner similar to how you described above. The use of LCD screens as a mask has been around for much less time than the use of a projector and only recently has become common in mostly low end printers as the cost of LCD screens became cost effective. BTW, the use of UV energy degrades the LCD screen which is why this version of DLP only became widespread when the LCD screen cost dropped down to an acceptable level. 

Thanks for putting this together, well done!

Have fun modeling

Mike

🍻

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, PhantomMJI said:

I would like to suggest a correct to your description of DLP print technology

Much appreciated, thank you. I’ll add that in when I next edit. A long way from comprehensive yet but still trying to organise and filter what might be useful for a modeller audience.

On 28/07/2020 at 09:49, Schwarz-Brot said:

I foresee quite a lot crossreferencing and copy-editing to get all the information sorted into suitable topics in a digestable format 😄

I agree, I think there is a lot of knowledge in the forum it is just a case of gathering it all in and making it digestible for the mainstream reader

Added link to @PhantomMJI's article on safe handling, use and disposal of resin and prints