Ju52 minesweeper colour scheme

fernandocouto

spacer.png

When I build Italeri Ju52 minesweeper, I confused with the colours on upper side. Did they remain RLM 70/71 common with transports, or take RLM 72/73 as maritime aircraft?

Italeri instruction said FS34079\FS34092, seemed alike 72/73, but how could we trust Italeri instruction...it referred RLM65 as "Light ghost gray", with incorrect splinter schemes...

Here is a floatplane version, should this one use RLM 72/73 as other floats?

spacer.png

I do not know, however n this photo the contrast is high what would rather suggest 70/71

IT126.png

albeit here the contrast is much lower and paint faded

667270d8527d03fa448eff605e337075.jpg

z_-_junkers_ju-52_ms_mo.230119_181952_23

In text it is said that they were minesweeping in Danube reiver, so no rason for 72/73 in this case. 

http://www.ondrejkovics-sandor.com/?lg=2&s=121

The float version has low contrast

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGTY8OAK93L1hBgy0V1vX

Regards

J-W

• Thanks 1

Junkers seems to have used 70/71 throughout on their Ju.88s, even when intended for Marineflieger units.   So extend this to other types.  This would not allow for repaints late in their life, of course, but given the steady reduction in marine control of units during the war dedicated maintenance units (and hence repaints) would seem unlikely.  I painted my Mausi in Xtracolour 72/73, but the resulting colours were very green, and seems to lack the distinct grey tone commented on for 72/73.  I think that I won't do another now, but if I did it would be in 70/71.  Floatplane versions might be different., I'm not sure just how exchangeable the undercarriages were in practice.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Junkers seems to have used 70/71 throughout on their Ju.88s, even when intended for Marineflieger units.   So extend this to other types.  This would not allow for repaints late in their life, of course, but given the steady reduction in marine control of units during the war dedicated maintenance units (and hence repaints) would seem unlikely.  I painted my Mausi in Xtracolour 72/73, but the resulting colours were very green, and seems to lack the distinct grey tone commented on for 72/73.  I think that I won't do another now, but if I did it would be in 70/71.  Floatplane versions might be different., I'm not sure just how exchangeable the undercarriages were in practice.

For Ju88, once I read somewhere, they painted zestroyers (C-6 of V/KG40) 70/71, torpedo bombers (A-17?) 72/73. But no more evidence...

On 25/07/2020 at 09:16, JWM said:

I do not know, jowever n this photo the contrast is high what would rather suggest 70/71

albeit here the contrast is much lower and paint faded

In text it is said that they were minesweeping in Danube reiver, so no rason for 72/73 in this case. 

http://www.ondrejkovics-sandor.com/?lg=2&s=121

The float version has low contrast

Regards

J-W

Thanks a lot, J-W.  The "white B" looks same to Italei second marking scheme, however windows painted over are different, also something wrong with decal: mission marks on rudder with different dimensions.

Edited by Julien
DONT QUOTE ALL THE PICTURES

I admit to thinking more of the early war Kustenfliegergruppe, but later war anti-shipping Ju,88 units seem to have developed their own schemes, such as the blue used in the Mediterranean.  Most of them simply seem to have used a meander pattern over the existing scheme, of whatever shade of green.  However, this doesn't mean they left the factory in that scheme.

5 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I admit to thinking more of the early war Kustenfliegergruppe, but later war anti-shipping Ju,88 units seem to have developed their own schemes, such as the blue used in the Mediterranean.  Most of them simply seem to have used a meander pattern over the existing scheme, of whatever shade of green.  However, this doesn't mean they left the factory in that scheme.

Has there been a single verifiable picture of any aircraft painted in that blue color?

12 hours ago, 11bravo said:

Has there been a single verifiable picture of any aircraft painted in that blue color?

There are no colour photos found yet to my knowledge; but there is a report in Swiss archives describing it, RAF Intelligence reports of blue Ju.88s found in Italy, and German records of a blue colour in this period.  There are quite a lot of colours in aviation history that lack convincing colour photographs.

12 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I've just posted this question on the Luftwaffe Research Group forum.

https://luftwaffe-research-group.org/

Chris

Hi,

We would ask that you dont post links to any other sites which require you to log in to see them as its frustrating and just wastes peoples time,

thx

Julien

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 11bravo said:

Since you have to be a member to view posts and new memberships are not currently being accepted, please report back to the group on any interesting responses.  

Nothing yet.

Chris

8 hours ago, Julien said:

Hi,

We would ask that you dont post links to any other sites which require you to log in to see them as its frustrating and just wastes peoples time,

thx

Julien

Oh, right! I forgot. Sorry!

I have removed that link. 

It's hard to be smart and this good looking, too.

Chris

• Haha 1