What-if, more realistic HMS Nelson 1/700 Tamiya

Superb display there Chris and great work on the WIF.

I think I may have already met you at SMW!

Never realised you were, to quote @Courageous, an armour dude! As well as ships and aircraft, I'm working on these currently. The Scimitar is from ACE in 1/72, the Mk VI is S Model with Dan Taylor Modelworks added brass...

IMG20200808115127

Terry

• Like 3

I knew there was something I liked about Chris? Like me, he was a member of the Black Mafia. I was an Armoured kilted Jock in NZ Scots during the 90’s. But I’m not allowed to Tanks or Aircraft as I have these wee babies and in fact I’m very lucky to do even model ships btw.

P.S, I’m really enjoy watching this build atm and especially when you showed the hull of the DKM battle wagon Hatton.

A44AB6EA-C307-400B-BD14-41F54FF9E77A

349EEA8A-EBA3-4E76-B5A1-320C0C52F5D4

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 3

OK, I've actually been a member for several years, but havn't got into this posting business, apart from Facebook where some of you will know me as James (my Sunday best name). Anyway, I'm Ray, the other half of the Chris and Ray Maritime Roadshow - I'm the short fat one on the right........ 

So only half of the ships are Hewitts, the other half are mine, but you have to admit, we've got some tasty stuff which unfortunately no one has been able to see this year......... 

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Ray N said:

OK, I've actually been a member for several years, but havn't got into this posting business, apart from Facebook where some of you will know me as James (my Sunday best name). Anyway, I'm Ray, the other half of the Chris and Ray Maritime Roadshow - I'm the short fat one on the right........ 

So only half of the ships are Hewitts, the other half are mine, but you have to admit, we've got some tasty stuff which unfortunately no one has been able to see this year......... 

I looking forward to catch up with you & Chris at a show probably Telford once this Covid19 has settled down as I’m hoping to do a 6mth trip to the UK providing the ministry of finance approves it?

• Like 1

Hi all ,

Nelson will be a slower in build ,been called back to work Boohoo however ,can't complain ,still have a job ,were 100 of my colleague do not !very sad times.

Back to Nelson,started to added the ships boats and 4 pompoms,I have been placing the tubs for the 20mm,must check Nelson and Rodney to see where they were on then.I think my Nelson is starting to look the part

I check My Barham and everything seems to be in order.I did check her against the books I have ,won't be the first I have put something on wrong .Here she is a close up.There is a mistake ,which I have done ,but only notice after I finished her.Normally I would take it part,but as I said she was finished and wanted to move on to the next project. 

XmLVpEQ.jpg

iPy1JIL.jpg

4Kn03hU.jpg

Edited by Chris Hewitt
  • Like 9

6 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

That Barham is gorgeous

I agree whole heartedly too. :) My comment re the mast Chris was based on very limited online refs & I happily defer to your almost certainly much better ones. The new Nelson is looking brilliant & so much better the the real deal.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments,the first photo is Nelson, before I received a better matching wooden for the quarter deck ,which has been fitted in the second and third photo.The main superstructure,funnel,turrets,ships boats and the hull are all fixed down. The deck is a bit reddish,but can tone that. The tubs I'm still playing about ,been looking at the KGV layout,because she is more in line with then.

Should say the dry dock is from company called Snowman ,the ship is HMS Legion produced by Flywalk .

knarfu5.jpg

F0Xoc2V.jpg

sZjn5LI.jpg

Edited by Chris Hewitt
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Chris Hewitt said:

Thanks for the comments,the first photo is Nelson, before I received a better matching wooden for the quarter deck ,which has been fitted in the second and third photo.The main superstructure,funnel,turrets,ships boats and the hull are all fixed down. The deck is a bit reddish,but can tone that. The tubs I'm still playing about ,been looking at the KGV layout,because she is more in line with then.

Should say the dry dock is from company called Snowman ,the ship is HMS Legion produced by Flywalk .

knarfu5.jpg

F0Xoc2V.jpg

sZjn5LI.jpg

That is so lovely too see. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Chris Hewitt said:

knarfu5.jpg

F0Xoc2V.jpg

sZjn5LI.jpg

That is so lovely too see. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's the rigging done,was easier this time because l just copied the same  rigging from the correct Nelson and I use the superb line from Uschi.Now moving on to the 20mm Oerlikons(22 for Nelson),I always do more than I require ,putting the shields on ,some always seem to move.

gZLrs7y.jpg

eq9n3qf.jpg

nWrrpOY.jpg

Edited by Chris Hewitt
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Gidday Chris, the whiff version definitely looks the more balanced design. And as a model it looks very authentic, IMHO. Are you going to keep the name 'Nelson' or give it a fictitious name? Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

I'm really liking this Chris. It is stirring the latent ( for over 50 years) ship builder in me. I'm wondering, do I want to turn my old & slightly battered Nelson into one of these, or get a KGV kit & use the turrets to do a Lion class vessel or do both with some 3d turrets on the Lion, or give myself a stern talking to for being so silly? :D

Steve.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Gidday, we're all silly, or we wouldn't be here! 😁 Here's option five - 3d or Nelson turrets onto the KGV to build HMS Lion, and both 14-inch quads onto the Nelson (moving the superstructure forward to cover 'C' turret barbette) and you have a RN version of the French Dunkerque or Richelieu. This will also give you a spare twin 14-inch turret for your scratch build monitor. 😀 No end to the possibilities!

Damn, now I've got ME thinking (a dangerous situation).

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 29/08/2020 at 15:24, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Chris, the whiff version definitely looks the more balanced design. And as a model it looks very authentic, IMHO. Are you going to keep the name 'Nelson' or give it a fictitious name? Regards, Jeff.

Hi Jeff 

I,m keeping the name Nelson.mainly to catch folk out at models show always get good comments with my G3 battlecruiser,H class german battleship and an Invincible class carrier with an angle deck,yes that one always catch everyone out.I have added the railings today,getter closer to finish her.

Hzby6s6.jpg

• Like 6

Gidday Chris, I guess it keeps viewers on their toes. I've done the same in the past with a couple of whiffs at the WASMEx here - a sixteen gun (4x4) version of the KGV kit I called HMS Monarch and a version of the HMS Repulse kit I called HMS Reliant

I wonder if any of the folk visiting your shows will confuse your build with a USS South Dakota class? You and I know the differences (you do, I take it 😁) but the un-enlightened masses may not. 🙂 The railings are a nice touch, and it looks almost done. A few Bofors and pompoms still to be fitted?

Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

She's turning up a treat!

I'm getting a bit of an American 'Standard' vibe looking at her.

Which is rather different than the oiler vibe one gets from the real thing. ;)

I must say all this talking about whiffing ships is making me consider a long held perverse desire to build a 12 (3x 4) gun KGV, along the lines of 14N or was it 14O?

Can't wait to see this one finished!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Gazontipede said:

I must say all this talking about whiffing ships is making me consider a long held perverse desire to build a 12 (3x 4) gun KGV, along the lines of 14N or was it 14O?

Gidday, "perverse"? You should fit right in here, then. 😁 Go ahead and do your build, you know you want to.

See what you've started here, Chris? Perhaps you should have started a Nelson/KGV group build.😀              Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2