Hello everyone... Since I'm almost done with painting on my current builds time to start the next one. I plan on doing R.S.Tucks V6555 257 Squadron (Burma) October 1940. I know that Pat @JOCKNEY is also building this plane but he doesn't mind if I do the same. UmZe0RW.jpg

kxt66x5.jpg

96WGik5.jpg

To say Ive been looking forward to this is an understatement. The kit was a gift from @Cookenbacher and the Decals were a gift from @Stew Dapple. This will get a start after the weekend. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

Morning everybody... I did some more work tonight on both the Hurricane and Spitfire. I was able to start on the Hurricane, Arma would have you start with the wheel bays and wings.

T7ekueM.jpg

XpnT1Bu.jpg

I chose to do the interior of the plane first. I will go back and do the wings tomorrow and close up the fuselage as well. I plan on buying the Arma IIc tomorrow when I place my Birthday order from Hannants. That will be Tucks FM*A from 1941. 

Dennis

• Like 14

Morning everyone... I was able to build up the wings and close the fuselage tonight. Following tips from @lasermonkey’s build and something he posted in @Olmec Head’s build i had know issues. AzbBwm9.jpg

zSh3JQB.jpg

tz8pnvC.jpg

wwfbfvz.jpg

Nothing a little PPP wont take of. I ordered the Arma IIc today so I can do Tucks later 1941 Hurricane. I like these kits but they do need a little fiddling to get a great fit. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts.  

Dennis

• Like 11

Looking good Dennis.

I have heard a lot of good things about Arma Hobbies Hurricanes.I am tempted to get one. Do you know how it compares to the recent Airfix tooling? I've built that and it was a good kit, cheaper too.

Cheers Greg 👍

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Looking good Dennis.

I have heard a lot of good things about Arma Hobbies Hurricanes.I am tempted to get one. Do you know how it compares to the recent Airfix tooling? I've built that and it was a good kit, cheaper too.

Cheers Greg 👍

Hi Greg

The Airfix Hurricane has ''fabric covered wings'' when the Arma Hobby one has ''metal wings'' and as far as I know most of the Hurricanes used during the Battle of Britain had ''metal wings'' ..

Best Regards

Patrice

• Like 3

6 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Looking good Dennis.

Cheers Greg 👍

5 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Hi Greg

The Airfix Hurricane has ''fabric covered wings'' when the Arma Hobby one has ''metal wings'' and as far as I know most of the Hurricanes used during the Battle of Britain had ''metal wings'' ..

Best Regards

Patrice

Hello Greg Ive built three airfix kits one fabric wing, one with the alleycat conversion to a metal wing, and a third that i sanded down/re-scribed all the fabric texture on the wings. They're great kits but very limited as to accuracy simply because most of the fabric wings had either been replaced by the B.o.Britain. The alleycat is a good option but you will need to trim a little on the fuselage, much like i did here to get the wings to fit really nice. Patrice is correct If you want an early hurricane say from the B.o.France then build it. That or you aren't bothered by accuracy or can find appropriate decals there were fabric wings in the B.o.B.. Now @Troy Smith or @Graham Boak and many others could point you towards the correct codes and serials for the few that flew through the Battle and possibly into 1941.

Dennis

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Morning everyone.... I was finally able to get back to the Hurricane build. I sprayed the Sky and Dk.earth tonight in-fact I just finished about 20 minutes ago. I started at 11:00 last night and in between colors to let the sky cure I worked on a Spitfire and P-51 mustang. 
sDw9eXH.jpg

CFdNPv2.jpg

KYfhYFh.jpg

UHqeP2D.jpg

QyAySsP.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 11

Morning everyone... I finished painting this tonight. The port wing isn't perfect but it will get covered by the roundel. Next up will be the decals. G1CNVO0.jpg

NOBfnSi.jpg

uy3xbob.jpg

VsVO9Jy.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 12

Good Morning everyone... I had a sad day so needed to take something off my mind, my best friends mom passed and I went to her memorial today. Somebody Ive known for 41 years and it was hard to deal with. So I Pulled another all nighter tonight to focus away from the day. I decal’d three of four builds on my desk. This was one of them, the others were a Spitfire Mk.IX, Mustang Mk.IV, and my Cessna Birddog over in the Vietnam group build.

5HdoACT.jpg

33PbH70.jpg

LRUgLun.jpg

ctIyxJW.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 10

36 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Nice work Dennis; sorry you had a bad day but at least you made the best of the night :) 

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew.. Thinking I goofed on this though, I think the scheme is backwards ? I must’ve have found the wrong “A” scheme. Odd’s wore “A” and even’s wore “B” correct ?

19 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thanks Stew.. Thinking I goofed on this though, I think the scheme is backwards ? I must’ve have found the wrong “A” scheme. Odd’s wore “A” and even’s wore “B” correct ?

I've seen profiles of it done both ways, what I haven't seen is an original photograph so I wouldn't like to venture an opinion. While it is generally accepted that odd- and even-number serials wore the specific schemes, this was not always adhered to, for whatever reason, so in the absence of evidence to the contrary I'd suggest you rest easy :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Thanks 1

Evening everyone... Well I think I discovered a flaw in this kit, the landing gear struts and linkage went in fine after all the work. But i found that the wheels need to be drilled out to fit on the axles. I followed Arma’s instructions by building the landing gear on the plane, another mistake in my estimation. I may wind up getting lopsided wheels/tires as a result. My Arma IIc which is coming up soon will be built following my preferred method of building up the gear and then installing them after painting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Morning everyone... Well Im calling this one done. 
Ukdso3c.jpg

i7MubvO.jpg

IqYVnVg.jpg

Id like to thank the hosts for all the fun. Im going on to the MTO (Macchi C.202 and KittyHawk) and Interceptor (Tomahawk and Hurricane IIc) builds next. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 8