Bristol Scout 1/32 first scratch build attempt

6 hours ago, hendie said:

I don't see anything horribly wrong there.  You'll have that sorted in no time.

I've seen kits a lot worse than that

Cheers Hendie, I should have taken some before milliput photos but thought nobody should have their eyeballs assailed by anything quite so ugly. I made a huge error with the formers for the turtle deck and ended up with a huge dip between them on one side. I filled it with milliput and used water and plastic tube to try to reinstate the contours created by the stringers. I'll shut myself away in the cave tonight to see if I can get it right. 

Richie

• Like 1

If you think that’s bad you should see the embarrassment that is the lower wing surface on my Mirage…😱

But you never will because it will never be shown to another living soul. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, RichieW said:

I got back from a walking holiday among the Neolithic stone circles, burial mounds and monuments of Wiltshire.

I like the look of this. I tend to head up big hills when I'm out and about, but as I advance in years I think I might look towards gentler inclines with a historical slant.

The Scout is looking great!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

But you never will because it will never be shown to another living soul. 

Haha, I'm taking a similar approach to the twist I seemed to incorporate into the rear of the fuselage. I never noticed until I skinned it, the top will be concealed by her tail feathers but her bottom will never be seen in public. ;)

Must check in your Mirage, was looking for it last night. 

2 hours ago, TonyOD said:

think I might look towards gentler inclines with a historical slant.

I highly recommend it Tony, my knees and hips feel like they need a refit but it's great to get outside still.

Richie

Edited by RichieW
Missing word
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, RichieW said:

39 minutes ago, RichieW said:

Must check in your Mirage, was looking for it last night. 

Search for the word ‘wibble’ that’ll find it quick-smart!

• Haha 1

Well I'm still plugging away a little at a time and haven't got much done this week but at least the battle of the turtle deck is over. My first attempt ended in shattering defeat when my milliput didn't set, I probably didn't knead it together enough. The fuselage covering is covered in Hycote primer/filler, as you can probably see there is more to be done. This stuff blasts out of the can and is difficult to control but it is possible to get a fantastic finish with it.

The D shape surrounds to the foot holds were added with styrene and filed down to a more scale thickness, unfortunately I seem to have sliced through my internal rigging wires which should be seen. I'm not too bothered and won't attempt to correct the mistake. Eduard etched stitching has been added, more will be added to run alongside the down side of the metal panels.

51263157127_fa9d1a3b74_c.jpgTurtle deck repaired by Richard Williams, on Flickr

The cowling and side panel are just taped in place here. A lot of time has been spent preparing roundel and Union Jack masks but every time I prepare to paint the wings I notice something horrible that needs to be remedied. Perhaps I should stop fussing and just get on with it!

In the absence of any other pictures here is a picture from my recent walking holiday of Silbury Hill which is basically just an enormous Neolithic mud pie. Well what else were they going to model? Biplanes didn't appear for another 6 thousand years! 

51243308420_9e026a33ab_c.jpgSilbury Hill ancient monument by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Thanks for your patience, this will get finished one day!

Richie

Edited by RichieW
Missing word
  • Like 7

34 minutes ago, RichieW said:

Hhmmm, just posted an update which seems to have got buried on page 6. Just seeing if I can bump it to page 1.

Richie 

That worked and has happened to me a few times.

The fuselage is looking great and the addition of the stitching looks good too.  Really starting to come together now,  shame about the internal rigging wire, if it's  noticeable just say it's in for repairs!!!

Great work 

Chris

• Haha 1

Excellent work Richie. That's looking great.

There comes a time when you say enough is enough and have to draw a line and move on. That being said, there's nothing I see there that I wouldn't be pleased to put in my own display case.

Whatever you decide... in a years time.youre going to look back at this and say "oh, I could have done this better.  I could have done that better" and so on.  We all do it.  I look back at ALL my previous builds and all I see are mistakes and sloppy work.  Remember - this is your FIRST scratch build and you're doing a fantastic job.  Every build I do is a learning experience and with every build I try and do a little better than my previous builds.  We can all be our own worst critics at times, but as far as I am concerned... I'm loving what I'm seeing.

Carry on...

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, hendie said:

Excellent work Richie. That's looking great.

There comes a time when you say enough is enough and have to draw a line and move on.

Thank you so much Hendie, that is really good advice which I shall follow. My OCD tendencies have stopped me having fun with this in the last week or so. It's time to remember what I enjoy about modelling and move on. I've definitely learned heaps from this one and am already planning the next project. :)

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Really starting to come together now,  shame about the internal rigging wire, if it's  noticeable just say it's in for repairs!!!

Chris, you gem! That's the way ahead! :)

Richie

• Like 1

Hi Richie, As Hendie said, there comes a point when you have to move on, the lily can only take so much gilding. You did say it was fun, so stop mithering marra and push on. It is/will look great. I like the strut method, did a similar one but with 0.8 ply and balsa for a 1/24th Macchi M39, never thought about cutting the struts on the Silhouette cutter sitting on the bench!

Hendie’s last quote rings a bell, yes, the teddy bear ladies on Repair Shop use it, so that’s where he is moonlighting?!!

Cracking job, cheers, Dave

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Old Mull said:

did a similar one but with 0.8 ply and balsa for a 1/24th Macchi M39,

Cheers Dave, been contemplating a micro ply, balsa and tissue build. Bit concerned about warping, does it stand the test of time?

You're so right though, it's time to push on. Can't start the next project until I'm done with this one. Teddy bear ladies on The Repair Shop would just crack on and get the job done! :)

• Haha 1

It was great advice to stop fussing and just move on, I think I've been suffering from what is often called paralysis by analysis. All the main scratch building tasks are done, it's time to break out the airbrush before it becomes fossilised!

Today I made a start on the RNAS roundels, I like to paint them first then mask over them while I paint the rest of the wing surface. It makes it much easier to mask the thin white outline. Speaking of which I thought early RNAS roundels didn't have them but they are on the aircraft I am modelling. David Bremner who flies and built Scout 1264 thoroughly researched everything so I'll go with what he has done.

51268984359_3eea7e6f96_c.jpgRoundels painted by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Very little touching up needed, I am using MRP Richthofen Red and Oxford Blue, I really like them.  

I called time on fussing over the fuselage nose and added the oil and petrol tank filler caps. I think it's the oil tank cap at the front, whatever it is there is a little breather tube which has a brass guard round it. There is also a little copper tube that runs under a tape to the oil tank. I think this leads to the pulsometer in the cockpit. I also finished adding the photo etch stitching. Everything is now primed in white paint.

51268350853_585a4c2659_c.jpg20210624_172100 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Well that was fun, I feel very happy to be moving forward again. With a bit of luck it'll all be over by Christmas!

Thanks for reading

Richie

• Like 5

Well, I got the wings painted. I used Ammo oil brushers in bone yellow, ochre and buff. It all looks a little rough in close up but at a normal viewing distance it looks quite acceptable. There's always a bit of tidying up to do but the underside of the wings will be in shadow once mounted so the many scruffiness won't really show.

51271102432_ff3dcaa770_z.jpgWings painted by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I am actually really pleased with the effect and will use this method again in future, hopefully with a bit more refinement!

Have a lovely weekend everybody
Richie

• Like 7

Thanks Chris, I have a lot of tidying up to do on it. This will be easy enough as apart from the roundels it's all oil paint. Not sure why I chose to do it this way. That's the last time I do hung over modelling! ;)

Richie

• Like 1

Loving the build, very impressive for a first scratchbuild. I keep a stash and intersperse Oob builds, conversions and scratch builds.

Many of my builds are more filler than plastic, but ( generally) they get there in the end :) e.g

50058427303_d4b195ba5e_c.jpg

50319792706_23c076e85e_c.jpg

My 1/48 Caproni Campini

resized_0c54aa51-b013-4e4a-a58e-dc42b9c7

resized_6a97e414-c2dc-4a25-beab-81848c4c
My 1/32 Bristol racer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much Marklo, I wish I could keep as many balls in the air as you. I get in a chaotic tangle with just one. Love that Bristol racer!

3 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Outstanding! Especially for a first effort. 👍

Thanks Steve, I'm picking up some great tips from following more experienced guys like your good self. Wish I had room for a bandsaw! 😃

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, RichieW said:

Love that Bristol racer!

Must agree I think it’s one of the cutest planes ever. BTW Arctic do a 1/32 decal set for the plane which I did use for the build ( but oddly I don’t think there are any kits in that scale)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1