Bristol Scout 1/32 first scratch build attempt

39 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Congratulations Richie on getting the wings sorted, they look great fella.  Crikey the work bench looks very busy, there's no such thing as untidy, just busy!!!

Great work 

Chris

Thanks Chris, I shall be 'there's no such thing as untidy, just busy' to Mrs. W later. If it goes wrong it's been nice knowing you!😂

20 minutes ago, hendie said:

nice result.  Practice makes perfect eh?

Cheers Hendie, if that's true I'd better have another go! 😉

Jests aside, thanks for the encouragement chaps. This step has tested my abilities and patience to the utmost. I think a beer is in order. 

Richie

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, RichieW said:

Thanks Chris, I shall be 'there's no such thing as untidy, just busy' to Mrs. W later. If it goes wrong it's been nice knowing you!😂

Just tell SWMBO that something fell and landed on your bench and you are in the process of cleaning up!!!

Chris

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Johnny Tip said:

Only caught up with this right now... scratchbuild beginner my behind! I built kits that looked worse than your rejected parts! 

Cheers Johnny, I'm getting fussy in my old age! Pretty much every part has needed many attempts, this has been going on since last June! I've started eating healthily and exercising so I might live long enough to finish it! 😂

• Like 1

Well it has been a very busy week so what little bench time I had was largely given to the task of clearing up the mess and putting things away.

I have found time for a few experiments, I wanted to give the impression of 3d rib tapes. I have some Archer rib tape decals but I don't really like them much. They seem to thick and too wide, I have had bad masking experiences where I left the masks on too long and ended up with steps between colours so I thought this would be a good way to go. Lots of masking and bit of airbrushing later;

51212460458_49388aa47d_c.jpgRib tapes from paint by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I managed to miss a few somehow but have since corrected the mistakes, a quick rub with micro mesh keeps the effect more subtle.

One stage I have been very much looking forward to but unsure how to do was trying to create the translucency of the lower wing  surfaces. Thankfully I have several failed wing making attempts to experiment with. I drew the internal wing structure with a pencil and drew the cockade (with the colours the wrong way round!) using watercolour pencils and just rubbed my finger over it to create a softer edge. Around the edges of the framework I drew lighty with a pale ochre pencil and then airbrushed a light coat of MRP bleached CDL. Between the ribs and spars I then sprayed MRP white and finally a very light of thinned white was airbrushed to bring it all together. 

51213005599_97504b3f41_c.jpgStrut making and translucent painting experiment by Richard Williams, on Flickr

With a bit of tweaking I think this method will work well, I still have a few reject wings to play with and I am definitely not in a hurry.

You may have noticed a single strut in the picture, I tried to make them from bamboo skewers but struggled to make several identical and had problems with drilling a hole to insert a brass pin. In the end I opted to have a 0.5mm brass rod run the length of a strut made from 3 layers of 0.5mm styrene sheet. The middle layer is cut down the middle to make room for the brass rod. The result seem easily stiff enough to use as a strut and if I use my cutter to produce the styrene layers I should end up with identical struts. This technique should work for making the undercarriage legs too.

Many thanks for reading, if you have any opinion on whether to cut out the ailerons and wing segments before painting I would appreciate any advice offered, I'm a little puzzled about which is the best order.

Richie

• Like 4

Hi Ritchie 

The wings look great andctge subtle ribbing looks fantastic.  The strut idea sounds good and at least you know they are sturdy enough too. I like the paint effects with paint and pencil, this looks very promising and I like the idea, may have to use something similar when I finally get to my DH2 , with some tweaking to the framework thickness and fading that will look absolutely spot on .  Great work fella 

Chris 

• Thanks 1

I think I can say without fear of contradiction that if someone were to miss the title of this thread and just jumped in, there would be no way that they would believe this is your first scratch build.

Stunning work, a beauty to behold

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

I like the paint effects with paint and pencil, this looks very promising and I like the idea, may have to use something similar when I finally get to my DH2 ,

Cheers Chris, it wasn't such a bad thing to mess up so many wings. I can experiment freely without fear. Looking forward to seeing your DH2, is it a Wingnut? 

6 hours ago, hendie said:

I think I can say without fear of contradiction that if someone were to miss the title of this thread and just jumped in, there would be no way that they would believe this is your first scratch build.

Stunning work, a beauty to behold

Hendie I'm blushing mate. Thank you so much. Coming from such a great vampire slaying model maker that means a lot to me. I'm having a heck of a lot of fun with this. I'm contemplating attempting a Navy Board style ship next. Ever seen Phillip Reed's model ships? Have a peep on YouTube, he's a genius!

Many thanks again

Richie

40 minutes ago, RichieW said:

Cheers Chris, it wasn't such a bad thing to mess up so many wings. I can experiment freely without fear. Looking forward to seeing your DH2, is it a Wingnut?

Mate, it looks awesome so far and when you have tweeted it will look phenomenal. 

The DH2 is the wingnut one and is my only WNW kit.  I did want to get some others however they ceased trading and the prices went up too much for my budget.  I do keep fishing it out of the stash and putting it back but am itching to start it, but I have a few builds on my FAA thread I also want to get done, so many kits, so little time !!!

Great job on this build,  I am loving the development of your wonderful model.

Chris

• Like 1

I think you'll love the Wingnut kit Chris. I have a few in the stash, the DH2 being one of them. The prices they are going for on ebay is astounding. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RichieW said:

I think you'll love the Wingnut kit Chris. I have a few in the stash, the DH2 being one of them. The prices they are going for on ebay is astounding. 

Thanks Richie,  it certainly does look wonderful and yes it's amazing how much they are going for,  was almost tempted to sell and get the Roden one, but didn't. 

Chris

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Oh no! 😱

Yet another ‘beginner’ who’s better at this than me. 😡

Ain't so mate! You're definitely safe for now. I keep reading through your Avro 504 build with a real sense of joy and amazement. That was some clever and beautiful build! I'll keep experimenting and muddling through for now. Scratchbuilding is awesome fun, I'm even contemplating selling my stash to concentrate on it.

Many thanks for the compliment, that's made me very happy! :)

Richie

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RichieW said:

I'll keep experimenting and muddling through for now.

I’m starting to think that with scratchbuilding that’s as far as anyone ever gets! 😀

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

was almost tempted to sell and get the Roden one, but didn't.

Right move Chris, nothing against Roden kits I think they're much better than people often give them credit for, the Wingnut kits are on a different level though.

I've spent a very pleasant couple of hours at the bench this morning making struts. With no brass tube of the right size to squish I used my Cricut cutter to make the strut shapes from 0.5mm card, a 0.5mm brass rod was the CAd in place after drawing a pencil line to mark the correct position. Each was then glued to another piece of 0.5mm card using the rod as a guide. The first piece of strut shaped styrene then acts as a cutting guide.

51217512446_e924eaee80_c.jpgStruts by Richard Williams, on Flickr

The sandwich is then completed by gluing another pre cut piece of styrene on top. This leaves a small groove at the top which is easily filled. I used deluxe perfect plastic putty followed by a quick wipe with ultra thin CA glue and a dab of talc.

51216794487_149d16ff9f_c.jpgStruts by Richard Williams, on Flickr

A bit of scrapery and sanding and we have wing and cabane struts with a brass pin for mounting. All perfectly symmetrical, except somehow these aren't quite. :(

51218579260_7596d7a114_c.jpgStruts by Richard Williams, on Flickr

A feature that I was going to ignore was the fringe at the bottom of oil tank due to the difficulties of making it. You can see it here above the access hatch on the side panel.

50083571913_37d5cab14a_c.jpgBristol Scout 1264 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I didn't think my Cricut would be able to cut such a precise shape and thought that even it could it would be a complete pain in the backside to draw the shape in the supplied software. In the end it was simplicity itself, a quick roll along with a rivet wheel and it was done.

51216795597_3b79f9d7a3_c.jpgOil tank fringe by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Although looking at the photo I seem to have lost my rivets and will have to do this side again.

Many thanks for reading, the sun's out, I'm feeling cheery and it's time for a sarnie and a celebratory beer. 

Richie

Edited by RichieW
spelling
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Very nice indeed great strut idea and will have to squirrel away in the old noggin incase I get this good.

Great work Richie

Chris

Thanks so much Chris, please don't be too impressed. Nothing I have done so far requires any great skill. Lots of patience and advice from the good folk on WW1aircraft models forum perhaps. You are easily capable of anything I've done on this build. Once I got started on this project I found things that seemed terrifyingly difficult and way beyond me weren't quite so hard after all once I stuffed them up a few times. 😃

Richie

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well here's where I'm at at the moment, only a tiny little step forward but as I will not get any bench time for a week I thought I'd add an update to let you know I haven't thrown the towel in.

A little plumbing was added to the pulsometer and what will be visible of the internal rigging added with Prym, I used my Cricut cutter to make the serrated edge to fuel tank before adding yet more tiny rivets one at a time.

51225515420_6aaed38e53_c.jpg20210604_145823 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

The task of masking and adding rib tape textures with paint was very time consuming but is now done. It's a bit rough in places but I got better at it as I went along, the effect is very low key as I wanted so all the errors will hopefully be the visual equivalent of gentle background noise.

51238202216_33dcc1a27a_c.jpg20210610_162459 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

The undercarriage legs at the bottom of the picture were made using the same method as the wing struts, they are wrapped with 1mm Tamiya tape. These will need a bit of tidying up to tone down and neaten the binding a little but they do align properly with where they need to be mounted.

51237489912_744ca10f43_c.jpg20210610_163155 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Skinning has started, there were a few rivets to add, you may notice a few missing, this is just a little fun as that is the case with aircraft I am making. All other errors are entirely unintentional! I had to make a new blister as the original was somehow over a centimetre too long, I must have forgotten to zero my digital caliper when I measured up.

Some remedial work was needed on the cockpit covering. I made a total mess of putting it on, it should form a straight line with the cowling but was at an angle sloping up towards the cockpit opening. I had to file it right down, remove a section and glue it back down. I haven't fully cured the problem but will be much better once fully patched up.

51239259240_ff851362ee_c.jpg20210610_163209 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I finished playing with wood effects on the cabane and wing struts, these will need micro meshing.

51238404663_920ae8aebe_c.jpg20210610_162949 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

So next jobs are to drill holes for strut mounting and rigging before painting the wings. I have been experimenting a lot over the last few days with methods for painting translucent effects and am looking forward to that part very much. I think only parts left to make are the control horns, tail skid and Lewis gun mount. Little at a time I am getting there!

Many thanks for taking time to read this, please feel free to offer any criticism or advice.

Richie

• Like 6

Wow Richie a mega update, and some cracking work there fella.  Skinning on fuselage taking shape and wings and struts look great, can't wait for the paint effects on the wings.  I suppose we can let you have a week off 😉

Cracking job .

Chris

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Wow Richie a mega update, and some cracking work there fella.  Skinning on fuselage taking shape and wings and struts look great, can't wait for the paint effects on the wings.  I suppose we can let you have a week off 😉

Cracking job .

Chris

Thanks Chris, yes I need a few days to build my mojo levels back up before painting the wings. I'm praying it doesn't look underwhelming by playing too safe. On the other hand I don't want to go all Jackson Pollock and slosh the paint on!

32 minutes ago, hendie said:

nice update Richie.  I can't wait to see skin, wait... that doesn't sound right!

I love the rivets - very convincing

😂😂😂 Cheers Hendie, give the rivet method a try on your Whirlwind. It's painstaking and time consuming but SWMBO will understand and give you a pass from household chores. I hear girls love guys who do modelling or have I misunderstood the use of the word? 😉

Richie

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well I got back from a walking holiday among the Neolithic stone circles, burial mounds and monuments of Wiltshire. Very nice it was too.

51245387974_0b3fc47d47_c.jpgAvebury, Neolithic Avenue of sarsen stones by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Well they say absence makes the heart grow fonder, unfortunately it seems to make the hands grow clumsier too. I skinned the fuselage sides with no alarms then set about the turtle deck. I made a few, test fitted them, chose the best one and then everything went horribly wrong. Only milliput and some careful finishing can save the day now. I am actually well used to saving models from far worse states than this so I think I can correct or camouflage my clumsiness.

As my brother said to me earlier 'putty and paint makes a chippy what he ain't!'  

51254777630_ecd198ce5a_c.jpgBristol Scout Fuselage skinned by Richard Williams, on Flickr

51253004952_01abfb7796_c.jpgBristol Scout Fuselage skinned by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I hope to have pictures of a better looking Bristol Scout soon but least you got to see a photo of Avebury stone circle!

Thanks for looking in Richie

• Like 2