Bristol Scout 1/32 first scratch build attempt

23 hours ago, hendie said:

I have to state (again) that for a first time scratch build, this is just phenomenal, it really is.

THAT, right there is something that anyone would be proud to display. I know I would.

Hendie, thank you so much. You have no idea how much that has lifted my morale!

22 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh wow Richie,  looks flippin awesome fella, so glad the hammer test did not go ahead.  This is a marvellous model and you should be justifiably proud of your great efforts. 

Chris

Chris, you've been a great support mate. Thanks for your generosity!

I got quite a lot done today. Out came the letraset and on went the serial number closely followed by the tail feathers. I used E6000 glue (cheers Hendie) which gave me time to get everything lined up properly and used wooden splints to keep the elevators in line while it all set.

51353025296_918f9a0280_z.jpgTail feathers by Richard Williams, on Flickr

The rigging was completed, this is the first time I have used fishing line instead of elastic thread. I hoped to be able to pull the top wing into alignment, it didn't quite work but certainly did improve matters.

51353500528_b6b55f4653_z.jpgRigging completed by Richard Williams, on Flickr

51354011544_045da6c2f2_z.jpgRigging completed by Richard Williams, on Flickr

51354011524_12595d61cc_z.jpgRigging completed by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I have many repairs to do to the paintwork but apart from that I just have a few struts to add to the tail plane and bamboo hoops to add to the lower wing and then I can call this one done. Hooray!

Best wishes everybody, thanks for reading

Richie

• Like 10

Oh wow Richie it looks absolutely magnificent fella. You have done an amazing job on this.   

I am not sure if this will help, but I hold a hot soldering iron near to any rigging wires that are not as tight as I would like, literally for a very sort time and the wire just tightens instantly.  I don't know if this would work to help pull it into alignment?

Personally though I think you have done an amazing job here and it looks fine to me so would not be worth risking all your hard work to tighten the wires.

Chris

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

am not sure if this will help, but I hold a hot soldering iron near to any rigging wires that are not as tight as I would like,

That's a great tip Chris, I will give that a try. There is a wire that needs tightening up even it don't manage to pull the top wing into better alignment. 

Many thanks!

Richie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichieW said:

That's a great tip Chris, I will give that a try. There is a wire that needs tightening up even it don't manage to pull the top wing into better alignment. 

Many thanks!

Richie

No worries fella, Don't get it too close though !!!

Chris

• Like 1

Extremely impressive build, especially for a first scratch build. 

I find with rigging that I have to progressively tension the lines and tensioning one bay can lead to another loosing it, it’s a bit of a black art :) .

So what’s next? I’m sure that wonderful Scout is looking awfully lonesome in its own :) 

Might I suggest sticking with the obscure British fighters and building a DH 5 or a Bristol bullet, or perhaps balancing the nationalities with a Halberstadt DII (Richthofen flew one for a while owing to the spate of unexplained Albatross DIII crashes early in its service history but eventually returned to the Albatros because of its superior performance) or an early Fokker ?

Edited by Marklo
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Marklo said:

So what’s next? I’m sure that wonderful Scout is looking awfully lonesome in its own :)

That's the problem Marklo, I have so many ideas kicking around in my head! I'm thinking the Bristol M1c would be a nice project or maybe a Bleriot XI or a 1/24 Tripehound, a Pup,  a Bristfit,  or maybe a 1 1/2 strutter arghhh my head is spinning! Perhaps the Bullet would be good to keep with the Shuttleworth Collection theme. I wouldn't need to worry about the upper wing problem at least! 😁

• Like 1

Once you start delving into the more obscure British and German WWI types you realise there are just so many interesting builds.

I’d strongly recommend getting hold of copies of Warplanes of the First World War volumes 1 to 3 by JM Bruce,  the British fighter since 1912 by Peter Lewis and Britain’s forgotten fighters of the First World War by Paul m Hare absolute goldmines the first two including many scale drawings.

so far I’ve scratch built these from the first three books:- 

resized_fe6355b8-4481-4023-9edf-22eab1a5

resized_0dbddc60-20ff-4b3a-8e6a-0baa38e1
resized_d825ffef-988f-43dc-9e28-4ad3b3a0

resized_16f97ecf-eae7-4ee3-a9e7-2e011b5f

4ca1d015-715c-4ac4-bfe4-3ef98569e066.jpe

ps apologies if I’m hijacking your thread.

• Like 1

Now 1/24th scale scratchbuilding,  now your talking, I have a plan for a large-scale biplane rattling around my brain cushioned by yhe sawdust of course!!!

Looking forward to seeing what the next masterpiece will be.  Take your time though fella as I know what it's like trying to build one from the stash, let alone scratchbuilding something. 

Chris

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

ps apologies if I’m hijacking your thread

No need to apologise Marklo, I really enjoyed seeing these lovely scratch builds. Thanks for the book recommendations. I'm a bit short of readies at the moment so I shall have to sell a kidney.  Perhaps a Wingnut Wings kit from the stash would raise far more! 

Thanks for the book recommendations. I'm a bit short of readies at the moment

Aren’t we all. Hss added the time that’s why I scratch build :) 

Take a look on eBay, abebooks or the book depository I got the first three for less than a tenner each. The book depository also does free shipping or 10% off specials  a lot. 

The interweb is also a good source of plans especially blueprints.com with the caveat that they may not have plans for some of the more obscure types.

• Thanks 1

95b11dff-1ce5-4744-b252-1e9f4b854540.png

Just checked they have a copy of volume three for £2.92 plus shipping which covers Sopwith through to Wight.

Actually they have the other two volumes for small money too. My problem is that vols 4 & 5 which covers the French go for silly money and they don’t seem to have gotten around to the German volumes ( 6,7 &8 I presume)

Then sell the WNW and invest in plenty of brass rod, tube and plastic sheet, oh and a cheap inkjet copier or a t square for scaling plans :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Thanks 1

Dear all, I think it's done! See you in RFI shortly.

Big thanks to Bandsaw Steve, Hendie, Chris and Marklo for tagging along and keeping me on the straight and narrow with great tips, advice and encouragement.

Here's a little preview;

51357345679_549cb050e0_z.jpg1/32 Scratch built Bristol Scout by Richard Williams, on Flickr

best wishes

Richie

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Simply gorgeous model Richie, it's been an absolute pleasure to watch this progress. Great work and skill fella 

Chris

You've been a big source of help and inspiration mate. I actually think you skills are a lot more developed than mine and I would love to see you scratch build something. I think you would take to it like a duck to water.

Richie

• Thanks 1

You've been a big source of help and inspiration mate. I actually think you skills are a lot more developed than mine and I would love to see you scratch build something. I think you would take to it like a duck to water.

Richie

Oh wow thanks Richie that is really kind of you to say, I do have an idea for a scratch build project rattling around the old noggin in a large scale too.  Will have to see , hmm....

Chris

• Like 1