Bristol Scout 1/32 first scratch build attempt

18 minutes ago, RichieW said:

That's very kind of you Chris, it's a bit of a venture into the unknown for me but it's good fun. I still have no idea how I'm going to attach the lower wings but I'll worry about once they're skinned and the cockpit is finished. Don't hold your breath though, nothing happens very quickly on my bench! 😄

I know what you mean , my builds are usually at a glacial pace !!!

Keep up the good work. 

Chris

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RichieW said:

I still have no idea how I'm going to attach the lower wings but I'll worry about once they're skinned and the cockpit is finished. Don't hold your breath though, nothing happens very quickly on my bench!

I’d be inclined to drill two holes through the fuselage and put a length of brass rod through both then drill holes in the wings, that way you can assure alignment of the wings. butt joints rarely survive well.

50678654563_a2f5017012_c.jpgThat’s the way I tackled the lower wings on the PB31 the upper ones are just pinned with brass rod.

50324670022_b20e4b1674_c.jpgOn my Taube the rods are actually through the wing acting as a spar.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

May I say how very well you are doing with a very challenging subject. 

If you want to see how I did something very similar, very badly, feel free to have a look at my Avro 504 on these very pages. (Sorry I’ve never worked out how to post a link while using a phone but a quick search should find it.)

@hendie @phoenix  @Martian get over here guys- you have to see this!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Bandsaw, will definitely check out your Avro 504, I love that aircraft! Off to early morning cricket practice now, will check it out when I get home. I shall resume hostilities with the wings too. 🤔 

Sounds good mate.

As you can see I have taken the liberty of inviting a few of my raggamuffin mates over to your place. Just be aware:

- To maintain @hendie ‘s interest you may need to convince him that this aircraft served with 28 squadron.

- @phoenix will try to convince you to mount the engine and propeller at the rear of the aircraft.

- No-one can guess what @Martian might ask for, but laser guns, antigravity engines and force-field generators are all possible. 

Despite their rather ‘unique’ characteristics each of these folks can offer expert advice on this project. I suspect you will just need to sort the wheat from their -typically rather voluminous- chaff. 🤔

Hope the cricket practice goes well!

Bandsaw Steve

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Sounds good mate.

As you can see I have taken the liberty of inviting a few of my raggamuffin mates over to your place. Just be aware:

- To maintain @hendie ‘s interest you may need to convince him that this aircraft served with 28 squadron.

- @phoenix will try to convince you to mount the engine and propeller at the rear of the aircraft.

- No-one can guess what @Martian might ask for, but laser guns, antigravity engines and force-field generators are all possible. 

Despite their rather ‘unique’ characteristics each of these folks can offer expert advice on this project. I suspect you will just need to sort the wheat from their -typically rather voluminous- chaff. 🤔

Hope the cricket practice goes well!

Bandsaw Steve

To be honest, I am more likely to ask for a barrel of real ale. Laser guns only come out if the ale is withheld.

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, hendie said:

I put a Vickers MkII Light Saber on my Wapiti build. Does that count?

Screenshot-2021-03-18-130147.png

Most definitely! The force is strong in this one! 

• Like 1

Well cricket practice was fun Steve, I'm still awful. Good to know my performance level hasn't dropped! ;)

I saw your Avro 504 and remembered I lurked in the background and followed the build, incredible stuff!

I got a little bit done, the wings are sort of skinned. I couldn't get the skin to follow the wing tip contours so opted for milliput extensions and a lot of sanding. Much to do yet but I reckon I can get them to look OK. I also whittled a rudder bar out of sheet plastic so I could hide it in the cockpit never to be seen again and made a pump out of brass tube and a pin with the head filed to look like a handle. I will hide this from sight in the cockpit too. 

51123179933_eb9f8b8b93_c.jpgWing Skinning, by Richard Williams, on Flickr

51124072595_9af5a4733f_c.jpgpump, by Richard Williams, on Flickr

You've got me thinking it might be fun to hide a light sabre in there somewhere too! ;)

I've been ordered into the garden so tidying up the wings will have to wait.

Cheers all, thanks for looking in.

Richie

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Like I said. Lots of chaff before you get any wheat! 😀

The chaff is all very welcome, put a big smile on my face today! Been reading through your Avro build again. I'm thinking why bother with all that wing skinning faff? Will look into methods of getting a good enough surface to paint straight onto. I have a feeling I will find the answer in your build thread. :(

• Like 1

Just a little update, there has been a lot of filling and sanding on the wings, there is a lot more in my immediate future. I hope to have them ready for primer and paint in a week or two. For a little bit of therapy I decided to make some cockpit parts. There are a couple of levers on a bracket with what look like pipes, I'm guessing that one is a throttle lever. One lever  and the frame was made out of a ghastly photoectched turnbuckle and the frame from part of the brass fret. The other lever has a flat shaft and round handle so I just walloped a piece of brass tube. It's all just CAd together. Nice and easy but it took hours whilst I scratched my head and wondered whether to bother and how to do it. 

51125884753_4f25c87eb2_c.jpg20210419_190321 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

The instrument panel and pump are glued in place here, I will glue what I am calling the throttle lever in place later once more of the internal gubbins is in place.

51126786050_f831cf5240_c.jpgCockpit details by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Now back to sanding and filling......

Cheers all

Richie

• Like 8

Spent a pleasant few hours making tiny little pieces, when I first came back to modelling I used to just throw away all small kit parts. Buying an optivisor was a good idea....maybe!

The control stick and rock tube front bracket are mostly finished. The hex bolts on the control stick are punched out of styrene as is the 2mm circular disc that the tube will be fixed, probably with a pin. It's just sitting on the tube here to save me from losing it. 

The control stick horns were cut from litho and filed into shape after punching 0.5mm holes to take the control lines. The painted metal parts were primed with Future, hopefully the paint will stick.

51133229605_238815d59a_c.jpgScout Rock Tube by Richard Williams, on Flickr

51133229635_2e5562b816_c.jpgScout control column by Richard Williams, on Flickr

51132118466_789d7d4d45_c.jpgScout Control stick and rock tube by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I doubt any of this will be seen again once/if the  build is finished but it was fun to do.

Thanks for stopping by

Richie

• Like 5

6 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

But - you know it’s there ;) 

Nice work!

Regards,

Adrian 

I have photographic evidence to prove it too! 😏