Hi all

This has been a bit of a long build which started in 2015 as part of a Group Build.  Needless to say I did not finish, as building the Loft conversion I have been doing at home for the past 3 and a half years and work, family got in the way.  However seeing all the fellow BM'ers doing shelf of doom builds I got inspired to do a few shelf of Doom builds myself.  This is one along with the 48th Westland Whirlwind I posted in June and a 48th Seahawk which is still ongoing but has also been receiving lots of extra correcting etc.

The WIP for this build is here

The extra details are numerous with the seat, Throttle controls, Gauges, Compasses, wing mounts aileron cables and bar, engine details, rigging, cables, windscreens fuel tank accessories such as valve mechanism, fuel pipe, fuel gauge etc and most recently cockpit access doors being scratch built.   

I would like to say a big thank you to Max a.k.a Galgos for his help and support and encouragement throughout this build. 

The doors made from Plasticard sheet and square rod

spacer.png

The fuel gauge was made from clear sprue filed down to size in a drill, polished and then painted in clear orange  to represent the fuel, Allumium paint then followed  which was covered in dark earth.  I am quite pleased with this.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hope you enjoy

Thanks for looking

Chris

• Like 41

54 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Superb job on the Matchbox oldie Chris,love it.

Thanks Steve, it is a lovely old kit

37 minutes ago, Buzby061 said:

An absolute stunner.

Pete

Thanks Pete very kind

19 minutes ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Now that is first class- love the subtle weathering-well done Chris!

Thanks Colin, very kind fella, I thought I would keep it subtle as they were probably looked after machines

18 minutes ago, Michael51 said:

What a marvellous result you have achieved: it looks superb,

Michael

Thanks Michael, I am very pleased with it, although it has taken long enough!!!

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

Wow that is gorgeous Chris,...... I missed the WIP,..... but I`m going to have a look through it now! Nice to see it representing an Airborne Forces aircraft too....... well it was used for training Glider Pilot Regiment candidates,....... these men were ultimate soldiers as well as pilots. 

Well done mate,.......

Cheers

Tony  

• Thanks 1

Beautiful build. Especially impressed with the cockpit, the rigging and the weathering. I like the base too.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Great job on the old kit, Chris. I bought this kit when my wife bought me a Classic Wings flight from Duxford as a birthday present. Needless to say, I haven't built it!

Thanks AD210, it's a lovely kit and actually goes together well, there are a couple of issues which are easily overcome the wing struts are slightly too long and the lower wing dihedral needed a slight alteration, that info is right at the beginning of the WIP if it helps.  Go on get the kit out and give it a go. You will enjoy it.

2 hours ago, tonyot said:

Wow that is gorgeous Chris,...... I missed the WIP,..... but I`m going to have a look through it now! Nice to see it representing an Airborne Forces aircraft too....... well it was used for training Glider Pilot Regiment candidates,....... these men were ultimate soldiers as well as pilots. 

Well done mate,.......

Cheers

Tony  

Thank you Tony, very kind of you.  They certainly were brave chaps and it's such a striking scheme with the yellow wingtips. It was an enjoyable build overall. 

1 hour ago, SAT69 said:

Beautiful build. Especially impressed with the cockpit, the rigging and the weathering. I like the base too.

Thanks SAT69, very kind. I did quite a bit of work in the cockpit as it is such a focal point and open, it needed to be done. I use that base for all my models.

1 hour ago, RMCS said:

Niiiice 

Thanks RMCS

33 minutes ago, neilfergylee said:

That is just lovely!  Well done and I love the fuel gauge!

Thank you Neil, very kind. I am really pleased with the fuel gauge. Photographing it was a bit of a so and so though on my phone!!!

27 minutes ago, Baldy said:

Lovely rendition of this (very) old kit Chris - beautifully detailed and finished.

Cheers

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm very kind of you to say.  The fit of the kit is great.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

I challenge anyone to tell this build is based on a more than 40 years old kit ... me at least, I couldn't have if you had not said it was the Matchbox one.

Superb.

• Thanks 1

Outstanding work and very inspirational. Your colour tones are soooo good! Love the rigging as well. you've added so many "little" details that make the model stand out. It's a great model in this scale.

• Thanks 1

Beautiful work Chris - love the fuel gauge (have to steal that one!) :clap2:

All the best,

Roger

• Thanks 1

I for one am glad this made it off the shelf of doom!

Wonderful build. From the little details to the finished article as a whole, a delight to look at.

Matt

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PattheCat said:

I challenge anyone to tell this build is based on a more than 40 years old kit ... me at least, I couldn't have if you had not said it was the Matchbox one.

Superb.

Thanks Pat for the very kind compliments, although despite it's age it goes together well. I can't wait to see what the Silver Wings, Special Hobby and ICM ones look like when built but don't think I will get one.  Ideally I would like Airfix to do a 24th Scale Tiggie, now that would be lovely, come on Airfix, please!

7 hours ago, bertielissie said:

Outstanding work and very inspirational. Your colour tones are soooo good! Love the rigging as well. you've added so many "little" details that make the model stand out. It's a great model in this scale.

Thanks Bertie that is very kind indeed.  The paint is Humbrol enamel and is all brush painted. The rigging is pleasing and is invisible thread with Bob's Buckles eyelets and turnbuckle tubes, not prototypical for the Tiggie but I was not sure of a way around it, although I am now typically!!!

6 hours ago, Dunny said:

Beautiful work Chris - love the fuel gauge (have to steal that one!) :clap2:

All the best,

Roger

Thanks Roger, yes help yourself fella, I was particularly pleased with that and glad it worked. Does this mean there is a 32nd scale Tiggie build coming up???

5 hours ago, Angell328 said:

I for one am glad this made it off the shelf of doom!

Wonderful build. From the little details to the finished article as a whole, a delight to look at.

Matt

Thank you Matt, me too and very kind of you. I must admit I keep looking at it, I must stop and get on with some modelling again!!!

2 hours ago, HOUSTON said:

STUNNING...  :wow:

:goodjob:

Thanks Houston

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Cracking job there, Chris. Superb modelling sir👍

Thanks Bonnie very kind of you.

16 minutes ago, petetasker said:

Lovely build

Thanks Pete

All the best

Chris

7 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

What a marvellous Moth! It's obvious that the old Matchbox kit has received a lot of love to be transformed into such a superb replica.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim, very kind of you. Yes it certainly was a labour of love.  Very pleased with the results.

All the best

Chris