Buccaneer help -

I'm doing the new tool Brick as a WE177 armed one as part of a small Cold War Hot scenario in the mid 80s.  I have my squadron chosen (16 Sqn, at Laarbruken in 1984), it's all together and ready for paint, but what colour should the weapon bay be in the WE177 armed onfiguration?  I'm leaning towards white but as the other bays seem to be some sort of grey is it likely that the weapon bay was this colour too?

Secondly, does anyone do a set of tanks for the new tool kit?  The ones supplied seem a tad slim.

The inside of the bomb bay was the same grey as all inside panels, so exactly the same as the undercarriage bays. Then it had a liberal coating of half dried OM15 hydraulic oil, sort of red/brown colour. It leaked everywhere. Nice and sticky when loading bombs in there.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

The period you are talking about the aircraft was green/grey overall,however I seem to recall the fairings were never painted to match and remained light grey the same as the bomb bay interior. Incidentally the three dents on the rearmost fairing were probably caused by the application of a size nine boot when fitting said fairing.

Koala

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Koala said:

Incidentally the three dents on the rearmost fairing were probably caused by the application of a size nine boot when fitting said fairing.

Koala

...funny that you should say that, I was helping out putting an aircraft together a couple of weekends back, one of the guys there was ex Bucc and said that it was a right pig to fit those fairings, to the extent that each set had to marked for use on one particular jet.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 71chally said:

...funny that you should say that, I was helping out putting an aircraft together a couple of weekends back, one of the guys there was ex Bucc and said that it was a right pig to fit those fairings, to the extent that each set had to marked for use on one particular jet.

Exactly right.  On 237 OCU they remained fitted, and were definitely LAG, even after the wrap-round DG/DSG was introduced in the late seventies.

• Like 1

Not sure of any answers and definitely don't know about the fairings but will leave these here for consideration:

50155092181_957cfd5614_b.jpg

50155334407_a6f76e73e1_b.jpg

50155330672_cba11bec90_b.jpg

The top two are in service pics from the period.  The bottom one is of a preserved example.  Note the difference in the bottom pic showing the "internal" color (often noted as being light admiralty grey) and the inside of the bomb bay door which has a darker grey.

Edited by wadeocu
  • Like 3