DH 106 Comet C4 RAF - Amodel 1/144

Simply gorgeous John,.....and your Britannia is lovely too mate,....... I love this era for RAF transports. I have the Mach 2 1/72nd kit and keep looking at it and putting the lid back!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

On 7/26/2020 at 5:04 PM, SAT69 said:

The white markings are paint on the panels that covered the stowage areas where the life rafts were stored.

Thanks SAT69, Another mystery solved! That does make sense - I don’t think I’ve seen these areas marked out on any civil aircraft. Not surprising really, it seems that the military versions of most aircraft seem to have a lot more functional features marked out and more obvious than civil equivalents.

Thanks also John for the link to the walk around photo.

cheers, Andy

Hello Viking,

You can park it straight into the museum. Looks incredible good.

Regards, Orion

• 1 year later...

How spooky! Let me explain...........

I was doing some research on google, as to the best way to make an RAF Comet 4C and I found your WIP, which led me to this excellent RFI. The reason I was researching being that I'm considering a future build the RAF Comet 4C that I had two hours and 15 minutes Air Experience in as a Cadet, back in August 1970, out of RAF Lyneham. I was even more fortunate to get around 15 minutes in the cockpit during the flight. My log book entry tells me it was XR395 the very one you have modelled.

You have made a superb job of this, but I'm wondering if for me, the Authentic Airliner release would be easier. Do you have any views on that?

Thanks for sharing such a superb build, and bringing back some very happy memories.

Terry

As an old Dan-Air employee I have a soft spot for the Comet. We had loads of them and I was lucky enough to fly in many of them, often on the flight deck. We also had most of the 216 sqn crews too. As their roster planner I got to know many and to hear many stories ;).

Very nice!

Martin

21 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

How spooky! Let me explain...........

I was doing some research on google, as to the best way to make an RAF Comet 4C and I found your WIP, which led me to this excellent RFI. The reason I was researching being that I'm considering a future build the RAF Comet 4C that I had two hours and 15 minutes Air Experience in as a Cadet, back in August 1970, out of RAF Lyneham. I was even more fortunate to get around 15 minutes in the cockpit during the flight. My log book entry tells me it was XR395 the very one you have modelled.

You have made a superb job of this, but I'm wondering if for me, the Authentic Airliner release would be easier. Do you have any views on that?

Thanks for sharing such a superb build, and bringing back some very happy memories.

Terry

Hi Terry, 

Great to know that is brought back some happy memories! I had a similar experience in 1974, spending 4 and a 1/2 hours on VC10 XV106 out of Brize Norton. The kit and decal sheet are in the stash awaiting their turn to join the Comet and the Brit.

As for choosing a kit, It seems the Authentic Airliners one is out of production,  I wouldn't tackle the Amodel one again, and I haven't seen the Welsh Models vacform, that leaves the Airfix kit, which is the one I would choose. (It seems to be still available at Hannants) It is not perfect, but also I think it is better that the others. It needs pinion tanks adding, but is is not too difficult to do.  See this Dan Air one I did. Ideally the wheels need replacing too, as they are woefully thin. That's partly why I did my Dan Air one in flight.

There was a very interesting thread on 1/144 Comet kits neatly summarised in a Comparison done by Tommo Have a look and see what you think!

Fortuitously enough, I am just approaching the finishing line with another Airfix Comet, in the classic BEA Red Square scheme from 26Decals. I'll put it in the RFI section once I finish it. For a kit around 60 years old It doesn't come out too badly. It'd b nice if Zvezda would do a modern tooling though!

comet.jpg

Good luck,

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice John @Viking and also for the very useful links. I reckon I might go for the Welsh Models version, given what I've read.

I look forward to seeing the VC10 completed. I wonder, is there a link to your Brittania?

Thanks again

Terry

13 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Thanks for the advice John @Viking and also for the very useful links. I reckon I might go for the Welsh Models version, given what I've read.

I look forward to seeing the VC10 completed. I wonder, is there a link to your Brittania?

Thanks again

Terry

Hi Terry

I look forward to seeing your Welsh Models Comet, make sure you post it in RFI, or even do a WIP Thread. I'd be interested to see how the kit looks.

I'm slowly building a collection of RAF transports from the 60's/70's

The Britannia is here.

There is a Beverley as well.

And a Herk!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Viking said:

Hi Terry

I look forward to seeing your Welsh Models Comet, make sure you post it in RFI, or even do a WIP Thread. I'd be interested to see how the kit looks.

I'm slowly building a collection of RAF transports from the 60's/70's

The Britannia is here.

There is a Beverley as well.

And a Herk!

Cheers

John

Hi John,

The Comet is a way off yet for me, but will be done at some point!

That's a very nice selection of 60s/70's Transports. That Herk scheme is the scheme they were in when we were at camp at Fairford, where the Herk wing were based temporarily in August 1970. We got many flights in the good old C-130 that week. One of the few days we didn't fly in the Herk, was when they put us on a bus, to drive down to Lynham, and take the Comet flight I mentioned earlier. Fairford at that time was also host to Concorde G-BSST (002) so we also got to watch test flights there daily! Such happy days!

Terry