DH 106 Comet C4 RAF - Amodel 1/144

Hi John. The hard work has definitely paid off. That really is a beautiful Comet and an outstanding model by any standards. I love the picture with the Britannia even if I'm not the greatest fan of airliners in uniform!

I had a poke around G-BDIX at East Fortune last year and she really is in a woeful state. (G-AVMO their BAC 1-11 Is just as bad). As I mentioned in the other thread my plan had been to cross-kit the Airfix and Amodel 4Bs to produce a Dan Air 4B but seeing the stunning result you have achieved I might copy your methods to make a 4C as a reminder of G-BDIX in happier times.

Dave G

• Like 1

Are you sure it isn't 72nd?  Amazing.  I admire anyone who wants to correct major inaccuracies, rather than taking the easy way out.  Well done!

Regards

Tim

• Like 1

Hi John,

Just superb as always! I love the way you improve these kits. Nice to see the aerials too!

Thoroughly enjoyed your WIP and Tommo's Amodel/Airfix cross thread.

I really liked the Amodel Comet when I first got one and even shortened the fuselage to make a 4 can you believe!? Why, I don't know! Maybe I'll find the bit I cut out, put it back in again and extend the wings to get it right.

Yes I agree you need a VC10 in RAF Transport Command next. There is a standard VC10 coming from Authentic Airliners soon but I have a suspicion you'll show us exactly what is needed to get a top notch model from the old Airfix kit!!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Absolutely superb, a brilliant demonstration of traditional modelling skills! It just goes to show what can be done with a starting point that has faults and a what a creative mind can do with it.

I must admit it’s the first time I’ve really noticed the white markings at the rear of the wing roots, presumably escape markings?

Andy

• Like 1

Thank you for all the positive comments guys, much appreciated.

On 25/07/2020 at 08:57, Andy Young said:

I must admit it’s the first time I’ve really noticed the white markings at the rear of the wing roots, presumably escape markings?

Andy

Hi Andy

I'm not sure what they are either, but don't thing they are escape markings as there are no arrows on them and they are not near the escape hatches. Also, they go partly up the fuselage side. Perhaps some of our engineer friends on this site who worked on Comets can shed some light?

They are partly visible in This walkarround photo

Cheers

John

10 minutes ago, Viking said:

Thank you for all the positive comments guys, much appreciated.

Hi Andy

I'm not sure what they are either, but don't thing they are escape markings as there are no arrows on them and they are not near the escape hatches. Also, they go partly up the fuselage side. Perhaps some of our engineer friends on this site who worked on Comets can shed some light?

They are partly visible in This walkarround photo

Cheers

John

The white markings are paint on the panels that covered the stowage areas where the life rafts were stored.

• Like 3

Hi John,

your Comet doesn't show all the hacking you did on the kit :goodjob: Hard to believe that the kit needs such an amount of modification to make it accurate but I really enjoyed your WIP and how you tackled all the problems.

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1