Academy 1/72 F4U-1 Corsair VMF-212 ** Finished **

TommyF

• TommyF changed the title to Academy 1/72 F4U-1 Corsair VMF-212
  • 2 weeks later...

Progress last week and over the recent heatwave 😎 days. Primer on, just a couple of gaps filled and sanded, wheel assemblies glued and painted and then three coats of thinned Humbrol 15. Pretty sure this is the first kit I've ever painted BLUE - I love it 😆 Added the external fuel tank today and wheels are on (trying my very hardest to not knock them off!) and it's starting to look like a Corsair. Propeller to paint, then canopy then decals...

One query - I'm not sure if I should add the forward antenna / mast. The instructions list it as optional but don't give any other advice. The paint / decal guides for both VF-17 and VMF-212 don't show the forward antenna. I might be stirring up a hornet's nest but this photo online shows F-107 flown by Captain Delong (although not VMF-212 but VMF-224) and it's definitely there...

50202977766_d2f34c290e_c.jpg

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, TommyF said:

it's starting to look like a Corsair

Why yes it is, and a good looking one too. 

43 minutes ago, TommyF said:

I might be stirring up a hornet's nest but this photo online shows F-107 flown by Captain Delong (although not VMF-212 but VMF-224) and it's definitely there

Yes that is correct so go with it. Ive seen partial photo’s of his plane before, and the Markings are the same. 

45 minutes ago, TommyF said:

Pretty sure this is the first kit I've ever painted BLUE - I love it 😆

Well you will need to rectify that situation sir. Plenty of other good blue painted options to choose from. The USNavy wore blue camouflage from 1941 to 1954 so many types including jets wore blue. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Completed 😁 Decals a little shiny (not as good as the very much older Kit You Built As A Kid Sabre) but overall very pleased - and - no wheels or antenna knocked off as per usual! Gallery pics to follow.

50237103758_cb0620044a_c.jpg

• Like 5

• TommyF changed the title to Academy 1/72 F4U-1 Corsair VMF-212 ** Finished **