Satin or gloss

Ant79

Hard to say, depends on the quality of the decals and the setting solution you are using.Satin might work, but I'm thinking the slicker the better to avoid silvering.

I wouldn't risk using satin, as it is still a lot rougher than gloss. For the want of saving a few steps, you could ruin your decals. All my kits end up matt, but at some point in the build before I decal they will be very shiny. All that matters is the last cost is matt.

12 hours ago, Ant79 said:

Thanks so a coat of gloss then matt varnish

Yep. Gloss the model, apply the decals, seal the decals with more gloss, wash the panel lines if you do that, then apply your matt varnish over the top and carry on with the weathering over the matt finish. :yes:

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Ant79 said:

What do you mean wash the panel lines

A wash is a very thinned out paint,90-10% it is used to hilite panel lines,rivets,crevices and such.You can mix your own or many companies sell pre mixed.The gloss finish allows the wash to flow to crevices and down the lines better.It is a weathering technique,Google it, look on youtube, should be plenty of videos.

Edited by Tojo72
  • Thanks 1

The safe answer as the others have mentioned is to use a gloss coat before decals. You can matte it all down afterwards. 

The long answer is that technically you don't need a semi-gloss or gloss coat for decals, you just need a smooth surface to decrease the chance of silvering. This can be accomplished by making sure the paint coat you apply is smooth, or by sanding your paint until it is smooth, or by applying the gloss coat. The gloss coat could also be an extra barrier of protection for the decal solutions affecting your paint. I mention all this because the gloss coat may be an unneeded step, and every extra layer you add on increases the chance of screwing something up. 

good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1