Which printer?

Rick Brown

Chaps.

I hope to be in the market for a home 3D printer later in the year.

As of now what's recommended as a starter?

What price point?

It has to be something readily available in the UK and has good consumable/parts back-up.

Cheers.

Rick.

Etc.

It depends on several things, such as how big are the parts you want to print & how detailed do they need to be? Also how much work are you will to do setting it up & running/adjusting it? & are you comfortable using hazardous chemicals? 

• Thanks 1

I can't help with a suggestion of which type to get as I don't have any experience in UK but I do think you are wise to look into availability of consumables and supply chain for spare parts.  I also think anyone thinking of printing should seriously think about where they are going to get their designs from.  There are a lot choices but like any machine tool you should save at least half your budget for consumables and spare parts and or designs.  

I have a SLR/resin printer and besides a quality Resin supply you will want a UV light to cure prints with, lots of gloves/googles, paper towels and IPA to clean up prints with. Some folks use a respirator mask.  A back up LCD screen some spare FEP sheets, maybe a spare resin vat.  I'd also suggest a silicon pet food mat to set the printer on as it makes cleaning spilt resin/IPA a lot easier.  Oh and a nice long apron as resin isn't clothes/carpet friendly.  It all adds up.

Additional you might need to pay a licence for any design software you might chose to use.  Though many have a free non-profit/hobbist licence available.   

Many of the SLA/Resin printers have good Facebook pages which can be of great help if you can stand Facebook.  Both Anycubic and Elegoo Mars Facebook pages are super.

IHTH.
Dan

• Thanks 1

Thanks chaps, just read your information from the other post.

I'll digest and look into both options.

I personally don't have any issues with chemicals, software or patience, so should ok with either option.

Cheers.

Rick.

I have an FDM and SLA printer and use both regularly.
Generally speaking, if it is big and doesn't need huge amounts of detail. the FDM is the one to use.
If fine detail is needed, then resin printing is the winner.

At the moment, I am waiting for the Elegoo Saturn to arrive at Amazon: large-scale resin prints for under £500: worth a look at!

• Like 2

On 7/25/2020 at 11:42 AM, Tinners said:

At the moment, I am waiting for the Elegoo Saturn to arrive at Amazon: large-scale resin prints for under £500: worth a look at

Me too. Looks very promising.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any websites they could recommend that look at the different printers, compare features, price etc?

I will have a search, but others may have found useful sites already.

TIA

Matt

• Like 1

Hi Rick and Matt,

I don't know of any comparison sites; however, the Anycubic Photon produces some very fine, and smooth, detail indeed.

spacer.png

spacer.png

My understanding is that this printer has the same, or very similar, technology as the Eligoo Mars.  Happy ot be corrected if I am wrong on this.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Mattlow said:

Does anyone have any websites they could recommend that look at the different printers, compare features, price etc?

I will have a search, but others may have found useful sites already.

TIA

Matt

Sure, there is a site https://all3dp.com that does all kind of comparisons for all type of 3d related stuff.

I don’t know if they are completely independent however they do provide usable input.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I couldn't really get very far (not an Instagram member). I assume that stuff was 1/144? If so the detail is impressive. Resin printer of some sort...?

Thanks for the insight.

Matt

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mattlow said:

I couldn't really get very far (not an Instagram member). I assume that stuff was 1/144? If so the detail is impressive. Resin printer of some sort...?

Thanks for the insight.

Matt

Perhaps showing my (relative) youth compared to many on the forum hahaha!

They were 1/48 models, very impressive details as they don't look much different to a basic plastic kit - I suppose that all comes in the design.

I think SLA is the way forward. I had access to both SLA and FDM at university, SLA was the only process that produced a decent surface finish. FDM is fine for larger basic components.

• Like 1

Cheers

Well, still impressive detail whatever the scale.

I have read posts by several people saying they are using both technologies FDM for 'big bits' and SLA for 'small bits'. It's all very tempting, but I must concentrate on actually being able to produce something in 3D worth printing in the first place :) 

Matt

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/31/2020 at 6:06 AM, bootneck said:

Hi Rick and Matt,

I don't know of any comparison sites; however, the Anycubic Photon produces some very fine, and smooth, detail indeed.

My understanding is that this printer has the same, or very similar, technology as the Eligoo Mars.  Happy ot be corrected if I am wrong on this.

Cheers

Mike

AFAIK the Anycubic Photon and Elegoo Mars LCD screens are interchangeable - there are minor differences in the controllers IIRC, but that's it.

So you are absolutely correctly, the use the same technology for printing. I have a photon and you can get some excellent results out of it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Don't know if this is of interest, but I had this delivered to me today:

Ra3U3Zr.jpg

A Malyan M320 FDM printer, cost me just shy of £190. Typically for me, the drum of PLA filament I simultaneously ordered is yet to arrive, so I am yet to try it. Very much a learning vehicle for me. Print region is 150 x 150 x 150 mm, which should suit most of my requirements.

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

If you want detail you need to go for a LCD resin printer, and I'd recommend a "4k" version that can do 35um resolution.

My experience is limited as I have only owned 2 3D printers so far. The first was a Da Vinci Mini filament printer. OK as far as it went, but was definitely entry point and old technology really. Not recommended for modellers. My latest printer is a Phrozen Sonic Mini 4K. It's good (35um X-Y resolution) and can do everything that they claim, but printing with it appears to be a bit of a black art. Some people hit the sweet spot from day one and produce print after print successfully. I have gradually homed in on the sweet spot but still suffer random failures of prints. I would estimate I get completely successful prints 60% of the time, and useable prints 80%. I'm using Phrozen's Aqua Grey 4K resin and this is a sample of an good print:

p1070367.jpg

And for an indication of the detail you  can expect look at the text on this print.

p1070390.jpg

Oh, and I've found 3D Jake great to deal with, even post Brexit. They are in Germany but I've had no problems receiving stuff from them.

https://www.3djake.uk/

Edited by Twobad
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got the AnyCubic Mono X, and am very happy with it for the stuff I have been printing, after a few teething issues and experiments with a few resin types. I have no hesitation in recommending it, though for small very detailed parts like the ones above it is obvious the Phrozen Sonic Mini 4K is a very good printer.

Les

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I also bought a Phrozen Mini 4K at 3D Jake, it was a special offer 20% discount. I also bought the Resin Aqua gray 4K and only paid the normal price for the printer.

I'm currently testing. Has the print quality improved for you?

Which settings are optimal? I think the slicer software plays a big role.

Regards

Andreas

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Creality CR10S and Phrozen Sonic mini (pre 4k) and a Mighty.

My FDM is gathering dust as I have run out of patience trying to level and re level the bed.

The resin works a charm. Although the consumables pushes up the price. Such as gloves, IPA / methylated spirits, handtowels etc. (and yes, the screen is also a consumable)

For modelling resin is the clear winner.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a Creality Ender 3 Pro (modified) FDM printer and a Creality Halot One Resin printer, I use both on a regular basis and as others have said if I want fine detail then the resin printer is the one to go to.

Some recent prints,

FDM Groot

spacer.png

FDM Tamiya glue stand.

spacer.png

Resin Mando

spacer.png

spacer.png

King Arthur, Patsy and the Black Knight (dismembered).

spacer.png