UFO: Moonbase & Lunar Module

I have just ordered this bad boy. the Moonbase launch sphere & tower complete with Lunar Module.  To give a bit of perspective the sphere is a 100mm in dia, the LM is 150mm in length and the whole thing is 230mm in size.  Cost seventy spondulaks inc post. 

A nice companion with the Fantastic Plastic Moon Mobile and Moonvisions large Lunar Module.

414454170.jpg

414454163.jpg

414454165.jpg

414454171.jpg

414454170.jpg

414454167.jpg

414454166.jpg

414454167.jpg

414454168.jpg

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 6

It looks like it's 3D printed ?

I've found some images of the original Moonbase on the web: it looks like the model maker's first port of call was the local sports shop to buy half a dozen regulation footballs !

• Haha 2

On 24/07/2020 at 14:51, Richard E said:

it looks like the model maker's first port of call was the local sports shop to buy half a dozen regulation footballs !

on The Horizon programme, Molecules with Sunglasses,  about Carbon 60, Buckminsterfullerene,  they were talking about a sphere made from hexagons and pentagons, and asked the maths department about it, in an American university,

"we got this hot new structure for a Carbon atom" 

and, the Horizon up up on Youtube.. linked to time

It's also the way Buckminster Fuller constructed geodesic domes, hence the name they gave the new Carbon form. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckminsterfullerene

I've not watched this in years,  it's really interesting story,  and if you ever hear about "carbon nano tubes"  and the like, here's where it all starts. 

So, while I detect a note of dry humour in the origin of the structure,  a football is made that way as it is a way to make a very strong sphere out of flat polygon shapes....

2 hours ago, junglierating said:

Might watch this....got the tune in my head

Edit as requested.  

I had happy childhood memories of building models to Saturday morning TV with these on, and did spend some model sessions with these playing on a little tablet as they are all online.

15 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Both series are up on the Archive.org

I believe its only fair to say those links are extremely dubious and almost certainly constitute a breach of copyright. Neither UFO and S1999 are public domain programmes.

Tommo.

3 minutes ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

I believe its only fair to say those links are extremely dubious and almost certainly constitute a breach of copyright.

Tommo.

Happy to edit them out if you wish.  

Sorry this is off topic but it might be interesting to some. I was too late for UFO, and indeed Century 22 in Slough, although i did see some vehicles and 'weapons' and a space suit from UFO at Pinewood when i started going there regularly.

However, i was lucky enough to be at Bray for Space 1999 Moonbase manufacture and filming. Heck of a model, but actually dwarfed by a model spaceship that was used for one of the episodes. Now that was big! By then Derek was fully ensconsed at Bray and what a nice chap he was too. Always made time for a  talk and words of encouragement to a young (very) modelmaker.

Bray's 'treasure chest' at the time was a large locked room containing every Airfix kit you could think of and certainly many many Saturn 5 rockets, to use parts from for space ships etc, much in the same way that the Airfix kits had parts used for Thunderbirds etc by Century 21.

Watching the filming of the Eagles in formation was pretty cool too, as they used 3 different size eagles against a black background. The Eagles were on black covered stands and the camera dollied past them slowly, then the Eagles were removed and the star backdrop added and was shot again exposing the stars to the film, and sometimes if you look closely enough you can see a star 'go through' an eagle.

Also noted at the time that no planet was round, it was oval and fitted onto a cement mixer handle for turning slowly while an Eagle was positioned to look like it was orbiting.

Remember the 'tube' underbase transporter? This was a tube lit from the outside, and the tube was vertical on set. The tube module was held by a small lever, the camera ran up to speed, the lever thrown and the module dropped. This film was reversed to show the module slowing to a stop.

One day watching the rushes for the model work in Brays cinema, we were all astounded by take that looked fantastic..... an attacking white light came down and took out a section of moonbase, leaving a smouldering hole (caused by not very strong acid i believe on polystyrene), we were all looking at that segment when a blinking blue bottle flew straight through the scene lit up like a ruddy.....well , bluebottle. lol

They had to rebuild Alpha for the re-take, which took a day i seem to remember.

Those school holidays at Bray last long in the memory, that's for sure.

Then onto Pinewood, where as a youngling ( i wont tell you how old but it was young) i was trusted enough to wander the sets, etc with no questions asked. The times i've patiently waited outside while the red light was on, waiting the green and my entry into 'wonderland'.

Many is a time i've sat in the Eagle cockpit turning away from danger like John or Alan did, my mind imagining great risks and attacks by enemy ships.

No one ever said anything but i reckon there's some shots that have switches on the eagle or Alpha's corridors and control centre moved from take to take. I was offered the 'big screen' to take home after the second series and i didnt bother, but i did note it between sound stages for a few years, before it dissapeared.

One thing that has just sprung into my mind..... The Shado base beneath the studios, oh those computers with the reel spools on them, not one of those pesky switches worked .....lord knows i tried, but them i also thought they had power plugged in. However, there were banks of them, maybe about 10 in total sitting there right next to another space ship cockpit... oh i had fun with that too, spending hours piloting around the cosmos.

I sat in the moster with the tentacles and pretended to be an alien, i watched as the technicians painted 3 giant paint tins (20ft high for a dulux advert) white for Barbara and Martin to explore as a strange new world (they were great by the way, and i was in love with Barbara's accent, that is for sure..... a real southern drawl).

At the end of season 2, Bray still had high hopes of a third season, and chat while playing football with Derek and Nick and the rest of the special effects / model department at lunch times was that if it was cancelled permanently, my name was down for the smallest eagle as a gift. Never transpired though, but at least i have my memories of the great show and how it was made.

Edited by northernphotography
  • Like 2

On 28/07/2020 at 20:18, Bonhoff said:

Copyright or not - It doesn't conceal the fact that Space 1999 series 2 was way rubbisher than series 1.

I hold no love for either seasons. I remembered when it debuted on Anglia way back in 1975, I watched the series opener with my dad - he at the time commented it was a 'poor mans' Star Trek. I vehemently disagreed with him being a huge Anderphile, not helped that I have never been keen on Star Trek. But of course with hindsight he was right. My interest quickly dwindled in S1999 because of a combination of poor stories abject acting and its broadcast slots being shunted around the channel from its original prime time slot,  then there was S1 repeats  mixed in with the S2 debuts on Saturday mornings. I know some hold it in high esteem, but I don't.

I bought the S1999 series1 BD box set when it was released just to see if in the years inbetween I had changed my opinion, I watched 20 minutes of the first episode and put the disc back in the box and have felt zero compunction to dig it out and watch any more. On the other hand UFO is the dogs cahoonas particularly the UK BD set with with 600 page Andrew Pixely book.

Tommo. 

• Like 1

My kit arrived today, ahead of schedule it looks very good, but it will have to go to the back of queue for the time being - I however, bought some Halfords filler primer so in-between of projects I will therefore probably give the major components a coat of primer.

414457276.jpg

Tommo.

13 hours ago, Neil Lambess said:

Who makes it ?   And do they do a standard dome ?

PM me and I will put you in contact with the maker. As far as I'm aware he only makes the launch sphere. However, he does make the LM and the carrier as a combo.

Tommo.