Hello everyone... Ive been wanting to do this for a number of years. I have a few favorite pilots from WW2 and other era's as I'm sure we all do. My favorite R.A.F. pilot was Robert Roland Stanford Tuck.

Aqt9htE.jpg

Somehow he has always struck a nerve and made me think quintessential R.A.F. pilot. There is no doubt that he was a good pilot and his record shows this. Much the same reason i admire Gregory Boyington and Josef Pips Priller. I was inspired to start a thread and ask questions about Tuck's Spitfires and Hurricanes. 

This in turn inspired me to start my 2nd of three long term project’s. I will be attempting to build every major variant of aircraft that Tuck flew from 1938 to 1942.

R.S.Tuck build

Spitfire Mk.I - FZ*L pre sept.1939*

Spitfire Mk.I - YT*L post Sept.1939 (Still need to find)

Spitfire Mk.I - GR*P B.o.F. 1940*

Spitfire Mk.I - QJ*RXYZ B.o.B. 1940*

Hurricane Mk.I - DT*A September or later 1940*

Hurricane Mk.IIc - FM*A 1941 (Still need to find)

Spitfire Mk.Vb - 1941-42 W/C Biggin Hill RS*T = done see below for a link to the build. 

* = Indicate builds to be done with decals or kit in hand.

A quick look at R.S.Tuck’s biography before moving onto the build. This is taken from his Wiki page. 

Wing Commander Robert Roland Stanford Tuck, DSO, DFC & Two Bars, AFC (1 July 1916 – 5 May 1987) was a British fighter pilot, flying ace and test pilot. Tuck joined the Royal Air Force (RAF) in 1935 and first engaged in combat during the Battle of France, over Dunkirk, claiming his first victories. In September 1940 he was promoted to squadron leader and commanded a Hawker Hurricanesquadron. In 1941–1942, Tuck participated in fighter sweeps over northern France. On 28 January 1942, he was hit by anti-aircraft fire, was forced to land in France, and was taken prisoner. At the time of his capture, Tuck had claimed 29 enemy aircraft destroyed, two shared destroyed, six probably destroyed, six damaged and one shared damaged.”

So in conclusion you can watch me trip and fall and look like a fool. Or if I'm lucky you can watch me build Seven aircraft over the next year or so, and please enjoy the builds ? Here is a link to the first of three threads dedicated to my favorite pilot's.  

I will be Starting the Boyington thread soon please keep an lookout if you're interested in these two threads. This ⬇️ is a link to the first of the seven of Tucks planes. It is his Mk.Vb and was built in the recent Spitfire STGB.

Here is the current work in progress for Tuck’s B.o.Britain Spitfire Mk.I This will be a QJ coded aircraft from 92 Squadron. This is being built in the Battle of Britain build but I will post progress here as well. 
       This is the current Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk.I and I do hope you like it. OQiVYak.jpg

x7ZRjei.jpg

p15uKZr.jpg

kzeIv1G.jpg

Sm1am9S.jpg

SwHUTOg.jpg

EVrfVqU.jpg

FWmNYIi.jpg

Zmwsdqp.jpg

jjTXR9f.jpg

MpsDkAo.jpg

2GEZvKU.jpg

BVLMcQ1.jpg

This is where I am at the moment, the build will temporarily pause as I am waiting on the decals. These are coming from another member in the UK. Until They arrive i wont know if this will be an “A” or “B” pattern machine. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 10

Hello everyone... Since I'm almost done with painting on my current builds time to start the next one. I plan on doing R.S.Tucks V6555 257 Squadron (Burma) October 1940. 
UmZe0RW.jpg

kxt66x5.jpg

96WGik5.jpg

To say Ive been looking forward to this is an understatement. The kit and decals were a gift from two seperate members. This will get a start after the weekend. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts.

Dennis

• Like 9

Evening everybody... I sprayed the dark green tonight. I chose to go freehand and mostly happy with it. I think I might redo the port wing as I'm not liking the lack of dark earth I think I overdid the green a little. VJYXTEo.jpg

zqZ36s0.jpg

UHqtdro.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 9

A cracking idea Dennis and great start.  Will pop in when I can to check out your progress.  The Spitfire is looking great so far and you will enjoy the Arms Hobby Hurricane, they are lovely kits to build just do lots of test fitting with the cockpit  which will pay dividends when getting it in and fuselage together.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

• Thanks 1

Afternoon/Evening everyone... Well this is better I tightened up the lines and fixed the Earth to Green proportions on the port wing.

Before:

VJYXTEo.jpg

After:

Vl4d1QE.jpg

And heres the rest of it. 

BSt7tZ5.jpg

YAhscCV.jpg

Dennis

• Like 7

Good morning everyone... I was able to get the decals on tonight. 
MdvYfdZ.jpg

QVeC3sK.jpg

Of course I still need the codes but they're still somewhere between here and the U.K.

92wXcwI.jpg

vg3AwRB.jpg

Didn't realize until tonight that the underwing roundels were incorrect on this plane. They're the kit decals designed for a Black/White bottom so one roundel had a yellow surround and one didn't. Good thing i have a big collection starting to shape up of 1/72 decals, these are spares from a hasegawa kit. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 12

Great choice of subject, I must have read Fly For Your Life a dozen times. I have a 1/48 spitfire V in Tuck's markings on the shelf of doom and a 1/48 Airfix Hurricane with after market decals for his much photographed Burma Boys mount. A lot of projects on the go at the moment so I will enjoy following your builds instead.

It's all looking very good so far! :)

Richie

• Thanks 1

Morning everybody... I did some more work tonight on both the Spitfire and Hurricane. I finished up the decals on the Spitfire, I opted to go with QJ*Z lF29RbQ.jpg

6kWt3Ml.jpg

89hJYFZ.jpg
I then was able to start on the Hurricane, Arma would have you start with the wheel bays and wings.
T7ekueM.jpg

XpnT1Bu.jpg

I chose to do the interior of the plane first. I will go back and do the wings tomorrow and close up the fuselage as well. I plan on buying the Arma IIc tomorrow when I place my Birthday order from Hannants. That will be Tucks FM*A from 1941. 

Dennis

• Like 7

Morning everyone... I was able to build up the wings and close the fuselage tonight. Following tips from another build i was able to fiddle it into shape with some minor modifications. AzbBwm9.jpg

zSh3JQB.jpg

tz8pnvC.jpg

wwfbfvz.jpg

Nothing a little PPP wont take of. I ordered the Arma IIc today so I can do Tucks later 1941 Hurricane. I like these kits but they do need a little fiddling to get a great fit. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 6

Lovely stuff. And yes I think picking a fav pilot from WW2 is an interesting approach. RST Was a character indeed. A old style Biggles sort of character, larger than life. A quintessential "Fighter Boy"  A man who was patriotic and aware of his obligation and duty to defend those who needed defending.He seems to have been a complex and deeply contrite man in many ways He stepped up to the challenges without a thought. A true patriot indeed. I read that he also became close post war friends with Adolph Galland .Douglas Bader developed a genuine and warm friendship with Galland also. 

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
  • Like 2

Hello Cousin !

Great choice of pilot !!

Good idea tor a serie..

And very good job as usual...

My God, you're a machine... Already 2 almost done !!

Holy cow, I look like an asthmatic snail compared to you !!!

Congrats Cousin !!

CC

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

My God, you're a machine... Already 2 almost done !!

Holy cow, I look like an asthmatic snail compared to you !!!

Congrats Cousin !!

Thanks Cousin... this batch makes 25 on the year I have about 8 more in the cue. Im starting a Mk.IXe, P-51, Cessna bird dog, and a Macchi Mc.202. 

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone... The second of six builds are now done. I present to you Tucks Mk.I Spitfire coded QJ*Z from 92 Squadron July 1940. WiKqRoL.jpg

1OVxw32.jpg

7J4Y60X.jpg

xLtdlXi.jpg

qAcNt5f.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. I will do an RFI later today but its 03:55 here and I think some sleep is in order. 

Dennis

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Morning everyone.... I was finally able to get back to the Hurricane build. I sprayed the Sky and Dk.earth tonight in-fact I just finished about 20 minutes ago. I started at 11:00 last night and in between colors to let the sky cure I worked on a Spitfire and P-51 mustang. sDw9eXH.jpg

CFdNPv2.jpg

KYfhYFh.jpg

UHqeP2D.jpg

QyAySsP.jpg

I received the Arma IIc I ordered to do tucks FM*A from 1941 and that will be the next build here. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3

Morning everyone... I finished painting this tonight. The port wing isn't perfect but it will get covered by the roundel. Next up will be the decals. G1CNVO0.jpg

NOBfnSi.jpg

uy3xbob.jpg

VsVO9Jy.jpg

Dennis

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning everyone... I had a sad day so needed to take something off my mind, my best friends mom passed and I went to her memorial today. Somebody Ive known for 41 years and it was hard to deal with. So I Pulled another all nighter tonight to focus away from the day. I decal’d three of four builds on my desk. This was one of them, the others were a Spitfire Mk.IX, Mustang Mk.IV, and my Cessna Birddog over in the Vietnam group build.
5HdoACT.jpg

33PbH70.jpg

LRUgLun.jpg

ctIyxJW.jpg

Dennis