Airfix Spitfire Mk I - FINISHED

Still struggling with a pair of Mk XIV's but can't not be in this. This will be my contribution:

p?i=0c0b163ceedbc78b695865a8c9b3d48a

Still haven't decided on a subject yet, but likely Geoff Wellums QJ-G. Or a DW-K from 610 Squadron. Or .... hmm

Not intending to do too much to this one, but that is always an ominous thought. I do have some aftermarket that may be thrown at the model:

p?i=4b3d848baf6e549e53b67bc8d41f8e7b

Edited by Peter Roberts
  • Like 6

Some basic work started on the cockpit. Holes drilled in frames, and slots opened up in the seat and head armour plate. The seat looks a bit high, and from a post in the WWII Forum is. I was going to leave it, but might have a bit of a go reducing the height. Of course, that would have been easier BEFORE attaching the sides. :( 

The rudder pedals are a bit tricky to attach, and aren't quite right, but close enough. Hopefully they wont be too obvious tucked behind the panel. A fair bit of light flash on these parts that needs removing, but I like the detail in the cockpit area.

p?i=7f8b61e3c0e6430d237c583b15d245b2

• Like 5

I also made a start on the wing assembly. The lower wing was a bit warped, so the rear wall to the wheel wells didn't sit well and needed some clamping. I'm hoping the internal spars that Airfix have provided will straighten out the wing. Here's the situation at present:

p?i=85ca614e5bdf2c861d9fca1b62eeddd1

I've read discussion around the undercarriage arrangement on this kit. The detail is very good and captures the original well. I'm thinking I'll assemble and install the kit legs at an early stage in the build, and mask later when painting. I don't think I'll pin them - this one looks like a job for the old tube cement. :) 

Some nice detail here as well, but I notice Airfix have missed the gun heating vents near the wing tips. Something to add as I go. Also, the flare chute doors are missing from the belly of the plane and will need scribing. But I do like what they have done around the radiator and oil cooler entrances/exits.

Edited by Peter Roberts
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ohh. now there's a challenge! :) 

There was a post here many moons ago, with Edgar Brooks chiming in with info. I'll see if I can find it. There are two flare chutes behind the pilots seat that fire down through the belly of the plane, and have two rather odd shaped doors. That is why there is a bit of a kink in one of the wing panel lines. 

Edit: Found the post - it was one I put up some time back on ASR Spitfire IIC's which used the flare chutes to drop dinghy packs I believe. Unfortunately the photo has disappeared and a link to another photo also no longer works (!) I'll see if I can get a photo of the doors I scribed on my ASR IIC

Edited by Peter Roberts
  • Thanks 1

Mate, sorry, not much help with this one. Photo below:

p?i=dd870137916bc88019778188b9a7ab41

The black stripe conceals the outline of the doors, not helped by my rather crude attempt at chipping.....

I'll check my references for this one.

Edit: I found the photo's but can't save them in a format for posting here. This is the topic: 

Edited by Peter Roberts
  • Thanks 1

I looked at a Profile of the New tool(2018) Tamiya Mk.I and it actually shows the door. I plan on getting one next month as well as the new Eduard kit so will make a comparison to the two. Im planning on a series of four total Mk.I’s in the near future. I will be starting the thread tonight and linking to my Tuck build here. As they represent all of Tucks aircraft.  

• Like 1

Just going through my references again on flare chutes - according to Edgar Brooks, this was reduced from two chutes to one chute on 1/7/40 under mod 185. From 7/4/41 this was changed to an upward firing chute under mod 235.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress on this one as I battle with a pair of Mk XIV's, but some progress on the cockpit. I am not sure how accurate it is, but it looks busy. I have added some Eduard etch to give a little more 'bling'. It doesn't show up well in photos, but is quite good, if a little subtle, in real life. The Yahu panel is a bit disappointing - too two dimensional when the central blind flying panel is actual proud of the surrounding panel. I think I'll use an Eduard two part panel for future builds. Some very nice detail on the components here, but then Airfix miss the gun firing button on the spade grip. I put a blob of silver there, then a blob of clear red but it isn't all that visible in the photo. The rudder pedals should be opened out too but I couldn't be bothered as I don't think they'll be seen and there is a limit to what I want to do. I think I will add straps - note, according to the late Edgar Brooks the pedals were painted green on early Spitfires so that's what they got. I did shorten the back of the seat by about a millimetre and it looks a lot better. Everything has been given a wash of flat clear with a few drops of flat black, then a dry brushing of the original colour to help the detail 'pop' a bit and blend in the etched details.

p?i=0561dba0d79d4aedf0cfdf7098446087

Edited by Peter Roberts
  • Like 6

Looking good Peter B)

I think the gun button on the handgrip may have been brass rather than red-coloured, don't quote me on it, but it's worth checking before committing to paint (like it will be visible anyway :lol:)

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew. According to Edgar (the late Edgar Brooks) it was anodized red, so I hoped clear red may give the right effect. I'm not sure it did - it is so small you cant tell. Very hard to see at all but I know it's there.... :) 

Not sure about later square versions of the gun button on later Marks

Edited by Peter Roberts
  • Like 1

Parachute Flare Doors

I always thought that this was the same as the Very flare port in the upper spine, but how wrong I was!  Having looked at various threads:

Flare door 1

I found this picture through various thread links which took me to Edgar's photobucket link.  I think it shows the underneath flare door on an rebuild/ reconstruction, but I don't have any better information.

This photo of a crashed k series shows the flare tubes positioning:

flare cock

Spitfire-cutaway.jpgAnd a cutaway from WW2:

From a Large Scale Planes build thread:

DSCF0741.JPG

Which as Peter says explains the kink!

It would be interesting how the second chute door would look? 

This has been covered previously in Britmodeller apparently:  

And some more from Edgar on the subject:

"Two chutes for landing flares" were fitted, as visible in that photo, from September 1936, and the launching was improved from July 1940.

One tube was deleted, on the Mark V, in November 1941; I've no idea when the other was deleted.

14-6-40 an "automatic recognition device" (rather like a Colt six-gun, minus handle and barrel) was fitted, set to fire downwards, roughly level with the position of the starboard access hatch. This was removed, and replaced in the fuselage spine, so as to fire upwards, in April 1941.

13-6-40 a "means of draining the fuselage" was introduced, which could, quite simply, be the hole near the tail wheel. It's much too far back to be the automatic recognition device.

And another from Edgar about the tubes and the other flare dispenser:

"It's possible that they were also designed for use when the Spitfire was still considered as a possible nightfighter, after all overhead illumination might have worked. If it was, it was soon dispensed with, since one tube was deleted from the production line from 1-7-40, and doesn't seem to have been considered for the Mk.V. Everybody knows about the Very-style pyrotechnic flare, which came out of the fuselage spine, but I've only recently discovered that, from 14-6-40 originally, it was fitted just in front of the tail wheel, and fired downwards, only being moved to its upward-firing position on 7-4-41. Anyone seen a photo of a Spitfire with a small hole just in front of the tailwheel, because I certainly haven't?

Sorry I couldn't copy it more properly from the original threads.

That said I am not sure if I have the courage to scribe these on myself.  I will await Peter's example!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the Mk XIVs are done I have been able to give this Spitfire a bit more attention. Cockpit assembled and installed on one fuselage side. I found I needed to open up all the locating holes for frames and components to get a good fit. I also weakened and added a gun button and brake lever to the control column. Looking at the photos I realise I have omitted the toe straps on the rudder pedals but think I may still be able to add these.

In the past I have always neatly modelled the seat straps over the seats and it bugged me. Surely if the pilot wanted to sit in the plane the straps would be away from where he was going to plonk his butt, even more so if there was the possibility of a scramble, so that he would have easy access to them. A post by Magpie 22 outlining the position of straps in RAAF Spitfires prompted me to take action, so for this build I am installing the straps 'spread' - lap belts to the side of the seat, shoulder straps either behind or over the cockpit sill. The right shoulder strap will be drapped over the cockpit sill. Photos:

p?i=c36297840ad1d5ffa6a700bbabe0c6f5

p?i=129cb363937debf1a4e932fcdbb393e3

p?i=5d99bdf760563e4ff07b5fc2ad55b8c0

I am a bit disappointed with the Yahu panel; it looks a bit two dimensional for my liking. Believe it or not the yoke at the bottom of the control column grip is silver, but has a clear wash with a touch of black in it which the camera has portrayed as black/dark grey (!?) I installed the radiator shutter lever a bit too vertical and it fouled a bit on the seat - this would be better installed leaning forward slightly to avoid this.

• Like 5

One of the issues this kit throws up is the fit of the front cockpit/fuel tank cover. I overcame this by filling/carving/scrapping a channel on the inside of the part to allow the instrument panel to sit up into it, and the part to locate properly on the fuselage. However, I found it fitted flush and it needs to be slightly proud of the surrounding panels. I filed the locating tabs at the front of the part to allow the sides to sit a bit wider, and have added a shim to the bottom of the part to get some more height.

p?i=24124132c6a926cc85fffa62d6f899e5

A bit blurry but you can see the channel here, just behind the bracket for the gunsight. A curved knife blade helps to thin this area. Shims added to give the panel some height.

p?i=0b8f8d4bf7679bc12d0fbd5bb75bebc3

Shims on the forward fuselage section. Some Tamiya liquid primer has since been added along the join to help conceal any gaps.

• Like 5

Looks good Peter, I forgot to paint the firewall red on my Airfix Spitfire when I built one as the RAF Museum airframe - in 1/48 it does show I think.  But most importantly, are you doing the flare chutes?  When I looked at the Science Museum Spitfire 1a online, it does have one door but not the two.

14 hours ago, Olmec Head said:

Looks good Peter, I forgot to paint the firewall red on my Airfix Spitfire when I built one as the RAF Museum airframe - in 1/48 it does show I think.  But most importantly, are you doing the flare chutes?  When I looked at the Science Museum Spitfire 1a online, it does have one door but not the two.

I painted this part red in an effort to give a representation of the fuel tanks. I don't think there was a firewall there at this stage, but the tanks appear to be a dull red colour. Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

Yes, I am going to scribe a flare chute door. There was a mod to reduce this from one to two, quite early in production I think but notes not to hand. This model will have just one. I'll see if I can come up with a drawing to approximate scale and post a copy. My initial thoughts are to cut a template from plastic card and use that as a guide. Turning to the wings next week.

Fuselage assembled over the weekend and fuel tank cover/forward cockpit section fettled to a good fit. Just need to paint and detail the cockpit walls now and then install. Not sure whether to add the radio control on the port side, with the wires travelling across the cockpit wall below the door. The side is very thick at that point and not sure how the wires will sit there. Will investigate.

p?i=17a650f6d8bde9aaf1dbecf865b258b7

• Like 2

I have also had another look at the flare chute cover(s) in the belly. When first built I believe there were two chutes - one on the centre line and a second behind it and slightly off set to port. It seems the forward position was deleted at some point.

I outlined and resized the photo that was posted on this sight to approximately 1/3 scale. If you copy and print this you can use the scales to resize to 1/3.

p?i=21c7c0f40431a8f4836975777bb81fa5

By continually halving this you will eventually reach 1/48 scale. It is quite small! Here is one I cut out of the copy paper and stuck approximately in place with double sided tape:

p?i=1555b72e35b514410c9252f7f43c5ecd

It is a bit blurry but I think you can get the general idea. The line through the shape is a hinge, which I think should follow the panel line fore and aft, so the diagram above may need a little tweaking depending on the way this area has been incorporated on your kit.  I intend to cut a template out of 5 thou card and scribe the panel line after scribing the outline.

Edited by Peter Roberts
  • Like 3

On 24/07/2020 at 01:38, Peter Roberts said:

Still struggling with a pair of Mk XIV's but can't not be in this. This will be my contribution:

p?i=0c0b163ceedbc78b695865a8c9b3d48a

Still haven't decided on a subject yet, but likely Geoff Wellums QJ-G. Or a DW-K from 610 Squadron. Or .... hmm

Not intending to do too much to this one, but that is always an ominous thought. I do have some aftermarket that may be thrown at the model:

p?i=4b3d848baf6e549e53b67bc8d41f8e7b

Peter, I have tried for some time to find out the codes and reg for one of Geoff Wellums spitfires, have I missed it some where obvious ??

Have wanted  to do one of his A/C since reading First light.

Paul

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

This is very useful. I didn't know about the flare chute. I often wondered what that kink in the under wing fairing was about. My 1/24 Airfix Spitfire doesn't have the opening, just the kink, so I'll scribe it.

Beautifully detailed cockpit!

Cheers

7 hours ago, Paulaero said:

Peter, I have tried for some time to find out the codes and reg for one of Geoff Wellums spitfires, have I missed it some where obvious ??

Have wanted  to do one of his A/C since reading First light.

Paul

Hi Paul

Geoffs Spitfires were discussed here. Hope that helps. :) 

5 hours ago, Johnson said:

Hi Peter,

This is very useful. I didn't know about the flare chute. I often wondered what that kink in the under wing fairing was about. My 1/24 Airfix Spitfire doesn't have the opening, just the kink, so I'll scribe it.

Beautifully detailed cockpit!

Cheers

Thanks Charlie. It is a bit of a challenge in 1/48 scale! I have two 1/24 scale kits but waiting for the inevitable aftermarket when Airfix re-release these. Good luck with the build. In 1/24 you may need to add the flare tube on the inside (?)

17 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

In 1/24 you may need to add the flare tube on the inside (?)

Yes, I think so too, I think it would be visible. Down another rabbit hole!

Unfortunately, in the Raf Fighter Aircraft Parachute Flares post that @Olmec Head referred to, the photo Edgar posted (the one that 'really cleared the whole thing up' - @mhaselden) has long since gone. Sorry this is getting very confusing! Should the Mk.1 have just one spring loaded door where the kink in the wing fairing is? My Spit has the hole just in front of the tailwheel, possibly this should be filled?

On the subject of AM, I had another look at what Hannants do for the 1/24 Spitfire and I see Airscale do a complete replacement i/p for the kit, which looks very nice... :hmmm:. More accurate then the decals they do for the original kit panel, and it has the clock which is missing from the Airfix i/p. Also in the shops soon are airframe/stencil decals from Aviaeology, but will probably arrive too late for my build.

Best regards,

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Johnson said:

Yes, I think so too, I think it would be visible. Down another rabbit hole!

Unfortunately, in the Raf Fighter Aircraft Parachute Flares post that @Olmec Head referred to, the photo Edgar posted (the one that 'really cleared the whole thing up' - @mhaselden) has long since gone. Sorry this is getting very confusing! Should the Mk.1 have just one spring loaded door where the kink in the wing fairing is? My Spit has the hole just in front of the tailwheel, possibly this should be filled?

On the subject of AM, I had another look at what Hannants do for the 1/24 Spitfire and I see Airscale do a complete replacement i/p for the kit, which looks very nice... :hmmm:. More accurate then the decals they do for the original kit panel, and it has the clock which is missing from the Airfix i/p. Also in the shops soon are airframe/stencil decals from Aviaeology, but will probably arrive too late for my build.

Best regards,

The Mk I Spitfire was changed from two to one flare chute but I'm not sure when that was.

There should be a small hole forward of the tail wheel but this is a jacking point.

Aint it great? New detail bits and pieces, or even an entirely new kit, get released AFTER you need them..... Oh well, we crack on with what we've got :) 

• Like 1