HK Models B-17G 1/48 “The Swoose” 463rd BG

2 hours ago, Matt B said:

Just keeps getting better and better!

Thanks mate :)

1 hour ago, Josip said:

I think that you ought to try my suggestion before you seal everything. An old toothbrush! 

I think you're right! Advice duly taken :)

I've just had a dabble with my sons tooth brush! I had some Mig Neutral Brown wash so used that. I found that after dipping the tip of the brush in, the blobs were quite large but after a few goes, the spray becomes finer and more suitable in this scale. This is the end result. Once the flaps and undercarriage are added, I'll add some more under the wings.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It's also had a matt coat applied and the masks removed...

spacer.png

spacer.png

It's beginning to look like a dirty Fort now. Next stop is to start on the smaller external bits.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Goes without saying but this is looking unbelievably good.

I was hoping to get some inspiration to make a start on mine too, but frankly you're putting me off as I couldn't achieve anything anywhere near 🤣🤣

On a serious note, I'm really enjoying seeing it all come together and it is inspiring. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Antb said:

I was hoping to get some inspiration to make a start on mine too, but frankly you're putting me off as I couldn't achieve anything anywhere near 🤣🤣

On a serious note, I'm really enjoying seeing it all come together and it is inspiring. 

He does that to me too

:(

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Antb said:

Never be put off by another modellers build. Take from it and try to build the best you can. We each have our own skills and limits.

Colin

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Josip said:

Now it looks more photorealistic. Don't forget to dirty up the undercarriage and Wells the same way later. 

Also the stars and bars should be stained a bit as they look too pristine. 

Thanks. I'll dirty things up a bit more once the undercarriage is on and I can ensure continuity of things.

On 8/29/2020 at 8:52 PM, Antb said:

Ha ha, that's a nice compliment and I know what you mean. I've used others builds as key references in the past but then got frustrated because I was spending too much time comparing. I tend to focus on my own improvements now. Each build, I try something new even if it's just some different type of paint like I've done with this. Also, the toothbrush weathering is new to me. 

On 8/29/2020 at 9:32 PM, TheBaron said:

That looks immaculately filthy now Neil. You've caught those variations of wind-blown mud along the underside of the tail particularly well imo.

Thanks mate, it's lacking further forwards at the moment until the flaps and undercarriage are glued in then I'll blend it in :)

• Like 1

Started work on the smaller bits today although it looks like the Tamiya extra thin has melted the rear gear leg so I need to pin it tomorrow doh!

I appreciate the ball turret may of been quite useful but I do wish they had the foresight to think about us modellers and simplify the design somewhat! Thanks God for Eduard masks!! The mid upper and ball turret are now complete except for the barrels and I've just noticed that the etch ammo belt feeding one of the mod upper guns has fell out. That explains the rattle inside the aircraft! The undercarriage was cut down as per the recommendation by @Matt B and some brake lines added although I forgot to take photo's before fitting them. I'll get the flaps on tomorrow and finish the rest of the mud spatter weathering on the underside.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Neil

• Like 12

I love it! Your weathering is amazing. Between the gunk flowing from the engines and the faded OD, it’s bringing everything to life. 

I’m glad you added a bit more mud...though I dare say it’s not enough?! The 15th’s fields were notoriously muddy, especially during the winter of 44-45. Here’s one photo from the 451stBG  to illustrate. I’ve got more at home, but am one the road right now. 

Consolidated B-24 Liberators

Please don’t take it negatively...I love what you’ve done. My comment is more to show just how bad the conditions were and how filthy their airplanes were! I really wish that they release a B-24 in 1/48 so I don’t have to tackle the ancient Monogram kit. I’d love to go big with the HB kit, but that thing is huge...

Thanks for sharing and I can’t wait for the finish!

Peter

• Like 3

19 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

I've just read this whole thread from beginning to end and found it fascinating.  The model is a work of genius, to say the least.  It looks amazing.

Thanks, it's a nice kit to work with overall, this is a new level of weathering for me!

14 hours ago, easixpedro said:

I love it! Your weathering is amazing. Between the gunk flowing from the engines and the faded OD, it’s bringing everything to life. 

I’m glad you added a bit more mud...though I dare say it’s not enough?! The 15th’s fields were notoriously muddy, especially during the winter of 44-45. Here’s one photo from the 451stBG  to illustrate. I’ve got more at home, but am one the road right now. 

Consolidated B-24 Liberators

Please don’t take it negatively...I love what you’ve done. My comment is more to show just how bad the conditions were and how filthy their airplanes were! I really wish that they release a B-24 in 1/48 so I don’t have to tackle the ancient Monogram kit. I’d love to go big with the HB kit, but that thing is huge...

Thanks for sharing and I can’t wait for the finish!

Peter

Wow, that's filthy! I managed to fit the flaps last night so got the weathering updated over lunch, the benefit of working from home! I've gone as far as I'd dare looking at photo's of the real aircraft. Too little is better than too much although I dare say that for some, I've gone too far already!

This is how it looks now...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10

Last update for today, just the smaller sticky out bits to add now. Had a random evening tonight. Spraying some matt varnish on and a baby moor hen strolls into the garage. It was all feet, big dangly thing and not a clue how it got there so we managed to get it into a box and carried over to the golf course pond a good few hundred yards away where they reside. 

The wheels have been painted / muddied and the exhaust bits added. I've used the Tamiya Weathering master pigments on the exhausts (and wheels actually), really impressed with them. First time I've used them but won't be the last. The rust needs dulling down a bit but they just need a wipe over to sort it. The base colour is black / dark copper / red brown.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Neil

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

One of the positives of being a slow builder is being able to see stuff like this and try to incorporate some of your excellent finishing ideas.  I’ll be happy if mine comes out even half as good!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Josip said:

Now you really can't go wrong. Are you gonna stuck a couple of bombs more in the bomb bay? It was a heavy bomber after all. 

That's all that comes with it. They'll be hardly seen so I'm going to leave it as it is.

3 hours ago, Matt B said:

One of the positives of being a slow builder is being able to see stuff like this and try to incorporate some of your excellent finishing ideas.  I’ll be happy if mine comes out even half as good!

From the start you've made, I've no doubt it's going to be a stunner. Love the detail you've put in to that perspex chin turret cover.

I wasn't quite happy with the weathering on the engines so this evening I went over them witgh a bit more lightened khaki in places. There's a little more toning to do but I'm largely happy them now. I've started to get some of the small bits fitted now too. Just need to figure out where to put the damn thing when it's finished! I also had to take the nose cone off as there was some over spray on the inside. It was in an odd place so god knows how it got in there as everything had been sealed up. All sorted now.

Right way up for a change!

spacer.png

This is lightly weathered compared to a few of the photo's shown, but I'd rather under do it if anything. 

50299242551_3dd4f6a008_b_d.jpg

I'm going to emphasise the sweeping black streak a little more on the nacelles to contrast with the khaki a little more but the weathering is pretty much done now.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Nearly done and will be the 6th build across the line this year, 300% up on last year!

Cheers

• Like 17