HK Models B-17G 1/48 “The Swoose” 463rd BG

The mud would definitely put it in a class of its own. Its like with Guadalcanal Corsairs. They were dirty and had tons of mud on the undersides. 

One trick is to make a waterbased sludge and apply it selectively by spraying it with a toothbrush. 

Edited by Josip
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Rakovica said:

Any progress Neil? 

ps. Check your pm. 😉

Thanks mate, I've spent a few hours making good use of the reference you sent :) I've been distracted by housey & garagey stuff over the last few days due to being off work so not done as much.

@Rakovica has kindly shared some information that clarifies a few things that I've been able to make use of. Firstly, whilst the tail plane was replaced at some point with an unpainted part, the elevator was painted so it's now corrected

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also, it appears to of had some replacement panels on the underside of the starboard wing so these have been added too

spacer.png

The engines are now done too, just not glued in to position yet. I've found the fit of these to be a bit vague TBH, possibly my own doing.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Neil

• Like 12

As I said earlier in this thread I've held off buying one of these but seeing this come together it's getting harder and harder to resist...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Josip said:

This is becoming my favourite build on this forum. 

4 hours ago, Matt B said:

Love the way this is coming together.  Just the motivation I needed to get back to working on mine.  Definitely builds into a beautiful kit.

Go one, get in to it, I'm sure there's many others wanting to see more progress too :)

4 hours ago, tomprobert said:

As I said earlier in this thread I've held off buying one of these but seeing this come together it's getting harder and harder to resist...

Give in Tom! It's a nice kit. I'll be getting an F model if they release one, hopefully fully loaded with the various nose gun configurations too.

Started on the weathering today. I tried doing the stains with oils but could get the effect I was after so fired the airbrush up using a mixture of black & red/brown. This is the first stab...

spacer.png

I wasn't too happy with how the engines came out so I went back over with some more khaki to lighten them up a bit. With the air brushing finished, I've started to add further weathering in using soft pastel. You can see here how one wing has only been airbrushed, the other looking a lot more weathered...

spacer.png

and here closer up, the engine nacelles haven't been weathered yet...

spacer.png

spacer.png

And the underside...

spacer.png

In for a penny, in for a pound, I was quite nervous about this level of weathering, but it is one of the distinguishing features of these bleached out birds from some of the photo's I've seen

Cheers

• Like 15

48 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Excellent work with the weathering Neil, you're becoming quite the artist.

Colin

Cheers mate. In many respects, modelling is art, just of the 3d variety rather than 2d :)

Wow great weathering Woody, I know where to send my wings when it comes time ( if I ever get it started ) 🤣 I have the 32nd F model with special decals for a 99BG bird. Your washed out look is exactly what I was looking for so hopefully I can copy it as good as yours.

Graham

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Really artistic work with the weathering Neil, so good you almost don't need a model to cover with it.

I confess to not doing more than occasional glancing a while back, now it is time to Go To Start and begin a greatly needed lesson.

Superb stuff 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Graham said:

Wow great weathering Woody, I know where to send my wings when it comes time ( if I ever get it started ) 🤣 I have the 32nd F model with special decals for a 99BG bird. Your washed out look is exactly what I was looking for so hopefully I can copy it as good as yours.

Graham

Ha ha, this is the fun bit, trying to get the balance and not over doing it is the hard bit! If I was to start again, Tamiya Khaki with a touch of Tamiya Olive drab and then lightened with white would be a good starting point. MRP do a light khaki so some of that with a drop of their olive green may give the same result but I can't verify it.

15 hours ago, perdu said:

Really artistic work with the weathering Neil, so good you almost don't need a model to cover with it.

I confess to not doing more than occasional glancing a while back, now it is time to Go To Start and begin a greatly needed lesson.

Superb stuff 

Cheers Bill. There's that much activity on here, I miss most of it, it's hard trying to keep up on one build, let alone a forums worth!

13 hours ago, general melchett said:

Haven't been on here for a while so it's nice to see this coming along beautifully my old mucka. Looks like you're really enjoying yourself. Nice stains, if I may be so bold, lovely job...

Hello young general, I'll drop you an email shortly to find out what's going on in Melchie land. Makes a change from getting stains down my T shirt 😂

Not much to report on since due to 1/1 stuff taking priority again.

Cheers 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not much to report on since due to 1/1 stuff taking priority again.

Same here, what with painting the exterior of Melchett Towers, fitting new soffits and guttering and re-felting parts of the roof, there hasn't been a lot of time for plastic fiddling... just can't trust the hired help, Baldrick's a menace with a nail gun, the Mem's MIG welding skills are woeful and don't even get me started on Darling and his routing tool...

• Haha 1

I can't imagine what darling was up to with his routing tool, but as long as it was enjoyable, that's all that matters 😂

It's been a while since I visited Melchie towers, hopefully I can get over again at some point when all is safe :)

• Haha 1

I've worked on the fuselage weathering over the last couple of days. There appears to be two key elements to draw out here, one was mud spatter / build up on the underside and the other is quite heavy panel lines in places. I don't want to over do the mud spatter so have used pastels and Tamiya weathering stuff to brush it on rather than actually spatter stuff on. There's more to do around the rear end weathering, but it's largely there now

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7