Lancaster B1 Special PD130

224 Peter

• 2 weeks later...

I keep on looking at the photo above and thinking about the "real thing" when the obvious hit me. 

The width inside the HKM cockpit, when scaled up, must be less than the real A/C, simply because the thickness of the "skin" is so much more than the real thing: my estimate the skin on the model is about 2.5" thick when scaled up. 

• Like 2

Did drill through the side and measured it to be 1.4mm which works out to be 1,7" at those points, this makes the inside frames look small, but the good thing is the outside is very close.

3hmQ0z.jpg

4OXoae.jpg

aDvx2p.jpg

seD455.jpg

But did find the glass canopy a little long 

6fbZ9y.jpg

njt7HD.jpg

RiA0rh.jpg

Regards

Richard

• Like 1

Have some drawings of formers (frames) but not of A, B, C and D which is a shame, but do have a good drawing of former F and  G which are a channels and both are 2 3/4" in width and 5/8" +/- 3/32 legs 20GA thk Alclad material. 

Regards

Richard

Measurements....

Cockpit width at the back of the opening windows: 1.3m, in 1/32 41mm

Cockpit cill 63mm wide, 70mm deep, in 1/32 2mm x 2,2mm

Skin 2mm, in 1/32 0.06mm

Frames 89mm x 12,5mm, in 1/32 2,78mm x 0.4mm

Stringers 31.75mm x 19mm, in 1/32 1mm x 0.6mm and they are a Z section

Clearly almost impossible to replicate at scale dimensions! 

• Like 3

Was the measurement of 1.3m inside of cockpit back of open windows Peter, if so model is correct :yes:

XQeYDn.jpg

K00D5O.jpg

On another note could you take a couple of pictures of the underneath of the Nav's seat I would like to see what it looks like so that I can make it.

mwu9cB.jpg

Regards

Richard

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To all who have followed this thread, this link will be of great interest. 

https://www.raf-surplus.co.uk/aircraft-and-projects---lancaster-b1-special-pd130.php

Some very good photos of the skinning going on, thousands of rivets needed!

There is a "Just Giving" page link if you feel like putting a few quid into the kitty. the project eats money and our sponsor isn't made of money. 

Final point: the Grand Slam dropped on the Ashley Walk range was live and the explosion was felt over a wide area. More information here..

https://newforestguide.uk/history/new-forest-explosives/ashley-walk-bombing-range/

Peter

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nothing much to report, the team are drilling and deburring some 9000 rivet holes that will take rivets that hold the skin to the frames and stringers. 

The team has also been side tracked by the arrival of 2 new aircraft.  One is a JP5 that spent its working life at Boscombe down, before being sold into private hands in the late 1990s. Unfortunately it failed to take off at North Weald a couple of months ago and whilst the damage is modest it is beyond economic repair. So we have it to repair and then re=paint in the markings it wore at Boscombe Down.  Then there is the Tornado..yes, a complete GR1, ZA 319, the first GR1 and which spent time at Boscombe Down doing release trials. 

The Tornado is large... we have the tail, elevators and wings, the rest is due before the end of the week. It has sat outside since 2002 and is a shell, but isn't in bad condition, but restoration will be needed and the cockpits furnished as it was. 

I'll report again when there is more progress with the Lancaster. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hi Peter how is the 1:1 build going, just wanted to give you a quick thankyou for your pictures you took of the build and thought I would show you some work in progress pic's of the nav seat

Using a drawing and scaling it to 1/32 to get a size of the seat (height and width) used your pics of seat to get length so its approx

NoJICg.jpg 

HKnYtr.jpg

JLKq23.jpg

uIP0tY.jpg

Anyway thanks again stay safe.

Regards

Richard

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ripaman said:

Using a drawing and scaling it to 1/32 to get a size of the seat (height and width) used your pics of seat to get length so its approx

NoJICg.jpg

HKnYtr.jpg

JLKq23.jpg

uIP0tY.jpg

Hi Richard,

You are beyond a doubt the master of brass.

This the most incredible modeling I've seen in any medium.

Cheers

Robert

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

It has been a while, the team has now largely finished riveting and the inside is painted in "night", so now parts are going back!

A couple of photos 

spacer.png

From aft, forward... spacer.png

The pilot's station: don't put the carpet in a model!! 

The team expects that the refit of parts should be substantially complete by Easter! 

• Like 8

Time for a couple more shots of the inside as the fit out reaches a conclusion. 

First, the navigators table:

spacer.png

The desk is a colour know back then as eau du nil, a light greenish grey which was specified by Avro. 

We will het the angle poise light working to replace the other light.

Next, the panels behind the navigator's table:

Behind-the-Nav.jpg

There is very little room between the seat and the panel. Note the device with a black rubber cup, this is the eyepiece for the drift sight, the other end sticks out from the skin and is protected by a cover to keep rain and ice off the lense. I'll get a photo of it next week. 

• Like 7

As promised, the external face of the Drift Sight....

spacer.png

On the HKM kit it is a shapeless blob on the side of the fuselage. 

This photo also shows how far the rivet detail on the kit differs from reality.  There are two different lines, just rivets and rivets and plate joins. 

Look at the kit photos above in .Ripman's September 22n post Trenches and rivets that don't look like rivets, because they are recessed circles. 

Edited by 224 Peter
Addition...
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

Progress has been rather slow as the engineering team has been sidetracked...by new arrivals! 

On Friday 6th I took this photo of the R/O desk,

Lancaster-Radio-OP-station.jpg

The Flight Engineers station is almost finished, as is the Navigators. I'll capture images when they are done. 

Exterior painting is starting and the new polycarbonate canopy panels will be moulded later this month. 

Oh yes, the new Aircraft...

Avro 707 WZ736

Jet Provost T5 XS230

English Electric P1 WG763

Tornado FGR 1 ZA319

Beagle Basset XS743. 

All flew from Boscombe Down 

All are on show. at BDAC, Old Sarum airfield. 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

This next photo may raise eyebrows, PD130 is now painted in colours that all the group's research leaves no doubt are correct, light earth and light green, with pale blue under surfaces...

spacer.png 

I have to say that I find these colours hard to accept, the light earth could be correct, but the green? It seems very bright. 

The light blue is also debatable as most sources suggest it should be ocean grey. 

There are a number of threads on this site discussing the colours for the Grand Slam carrying Lancasters, but nothing seems to be more than post war records. 

The painds were ordered from a reputable supplier against the MAP paint codes detailed in Avro's manufacturing records. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3