Lancaster B1 Special PD130

224 Peter

If any one has access to any of the Catch up TV services there was a 10 min feature on the BDAC Lancaster on ITV Meridian news 6th July at 18:15. 

It was quite good and almost accurate....

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to report, much of the instrumentation by the Navigators position has been removed to allow the installation of his desk.

This is it, with clips and other bits to hold instruments in place located on the desk. 

spacer.png

More next week....

• Like 4

On 7/15/2021 at 5:42 AM, 224 Peter said:

Not much to report, much of the instrumentation by the Navigators position has been removed to allow the installation of his desk.

This is it, with clips and other bits to hold instruments in place located on the desk. 

spacer.png

More next week....

Hi Peter just to be clear this is the vertical panel between the radio opp and the navigator as per picture in post on Feb 25th, not seen a picture yet of the table which will be nice to see.

Regards

Richard

Agreed... my error. 

Lawrence (Benny) Goodman who flew the original aircraft and who visited the Collection a few weeks ago, died this week. He was the last of the 617 pilots who saw active service. 

• Sad 3

9 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

Agreed... my error. 

Lawrence (Benny) Goodman who flew the original aircraft and who visited the Collection a few weeks ago, died this week. He was the last of the 617 pilots who saw active service. 

RIP Lawrence Goodman

On 7/20/2021 at 10:51 AM, 224 Peter said:

Lawrence (Benny) Goodman who flew the original aircraft and who visited the Collection a few weeks ago, died this week.

How sad. Condolences to his family and friends.

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee." John Donne

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1

Time for more photos: a lot to report! 

First, the R/Os station is taking shape, desk fitted and one of three instruments on the bulkhead. 

spacer.png

Quite a lot to add especially on his desk. 

Now to the otherside of the bulkhead the Navigators station

spacer.png

The desk is much larger than I had thought it would be, there is little room between the end of the desk and the Pilots seat. Under the desk are two further instruments, the Gee receiver will go on the shelf. 

Next a close up of the instruments under the desk...

Under-the-Navigators-Desk-forward.jpg

Nest, a photo taken from the Navigators seat...looking at his instruments

spacer.png

And then looking forward from his swivel seat. 

spacer.png

Because this is a B1 Special all the armour on the back of the pilots seat has been removed, to save weight. 

Much of the glazing is in place, including the armoured front screens. 

Note the emergency use oxygen bottle on the back of the seat. The netting holders are "New Old Stock" we got them in the original 1944 packaging! 

And finally, the bomb release board, this sits down in the bomb aimers position. 

spacer.png

• Like 8

Hi Pete

A nice set of photos that are adding to every bodies understanding of the three crew positions.

Could you give a measurement of the Nav table from the partition bulkhead towards the pilots seat please ?

This will finally give me(us) a proper size with which to correctly modify the Nav's table in all Lancaster models.

Thanks in anticipation 

Ian

• Like 2

No sooner asked than done! 

The desks are all 30" wide , the R/Os is 21" from bulkhead to the back and the Navigators is 47" from bulkhead to behind the pilots station. 

Both have a 3" deep space under the desk, the top surface hinges up, like a school desk. You can see the hinge line in the photo above and the R/Os in this new picture, showing the main radio in place. 

spacer.png

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Over on Nigel's Modelling Bench on youtube he reviews the new HKM 1/48th Lancaster and questions the accuracy of the canopy height, especially when compared with the Tamiya one from 40+ years ago. 

So I thought I'd go and measure up out 1/1 scale one. 

Height of the side windows 22"

Floor to centre of the cockpit roof 74"

Top centre of 1st rib aft of the cockpit opening to centre of cockpit roof 12"

• Like 1

Side windows in 48th scale should be, based on your measurement of 22", 11.6mm

I'll just go measure the Tamiya one  . . .   I make it almost 12mm

I measured the window frame at the front, just behind the front windscreen,  of which would have been the pilots window.

Edited by Mancunian airman

There is also an issue with the size of the flight engineers panel. I have a scale internal plan of such and the first photo may help . . .

Tamiya-Lancaster-158-A.jpg

The white square is the kit size of the Tamiya kit and it is almost up to the f/eng seat . . .

Tamiya-Lancaster-159.jpg

Resized panel, the black square is more in keeping with the actual panel (it was measured at the time, some years ago, but I havent got those details to hand) 

In position with the red line outlining the kit size

Tamiya-Lancaster-165.jpg

Hopefully the HK Lancaster kit engineers panel will be nearer the revised size

Ian

Ian, 

The Panel is 22.5" wide and 20" tall. It abuts the top stringer to which the canopy is fixed and the frame at the back of the Canopy.  Your photo looks about right!

Below the panel the cable ducting sits flush with the front face pf the panel. This ducting is 3.0" deep and on your photo it is indicated by a moulded panel line so it needs thickening a bit. There should be a fuselage frame at the front of the panel. 

A lot of debate here about the correct inside colour, interior green or black, so far not 100% resolved. 

Peter

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2021 at 9:53 AM, RichG said:

I'm still considering getting the 1/32 HKM Lancaster nose - this thread may well have  made up my mind!

I've finally succumbed to temptation and acquired one (I can resist anything but temptation...) and have to say its mainly down to this thread tbh. Really inspirational Peter.

Wow is the Nose kit's clear fuselage part very clear; for a moment I thought the plastic bag it came in was actually empty. I'm planning a project to to build the 1/32 nose alongside the HKM 1/48 Lanc together with, and just for fun, a Meng "cartoon" version. I'm actually going to do the 1/48 kit in the markings of a 49 Sqn aircraft from RAF Fiskerton shot down in a raid over Mannheim in 1943. The connection is the pilot was my old maths master...  I knew he'd been a pilot but I never knew anything of this at the time - I guess the war was becoming increasingly distant by then (the mid 70's).  

spacer.png

I see there are now rumours of the Wing Nuts Wings 1/32 kit emerging somewhere in the Far East with a build underway on Facebook which interestingly makes another great reference for me too. Stunning detail on another level really. Talking of references, I came across a very useful YouTube channel (UK Aircraft Explored) illustrating different technical aspects of the aircraft presumably from the relevant AP. Here's a link to the edition on the FN.5 frorward turret (as I know it won't be covered here). It makes you realise just how complex these turrets were.    

Eagerly waiting the next edition @224 Peter and my regular fix... :popcorn:

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1

If the WNW Lancaster reappears I'll have to think long and hard. 

About 5 minutes should do it.

Why?

From the  build on Facebook the cockpit looks like the real thing, unlike the HKM one. 

More news on the 1:1 tomorrow. 

The 1:1 is now back where it was before the fit out! All the internals are out on racks pending the skinning of the frame, then paining, after which everything goes back in. We are aiming for the end of the year. Then we will start on the bomb aimers position and the nose. 

So not much more to report for now. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

The skinning has started... a LOT of rivets to follow!

The sheets overlap from front to rear, showing a distinct panel line. 

spacer.png

The photo was taken on 9/9/21, as of a day later they have started on the other side. At the same time most of the structures that have to go back into the A/C are being painted, so very much "on target" for completion by the year end. 

• Like 6