Lancaster B1 Special PD130

224 Peter

Littered through this thread are dimensions taken from the 1:1 model we are building.

The Navs desk will be in place before long and when it is, I'll measure it. But from previous photos it starts 2 ribs back from the back if the canopy aperture, it is the other side of the R/Os station, seen here: 

spacer.png

Note the dark grey plates with red tape at each end. These are covers for the manual bomb release trips, used if a bomb :"hung up". They were covered by. a cast alloy plate, we had to have these made, thus:

Bomb-release-cover.jpg

Meanwhile, a few more photos... 

The canopy glazing is going in, now the nose really looks like a lancaster....

spacer.png

This next one is interesting, under the control column we can see the gears and chains that take the column movement to the elevators and ailerons. 

spacer.png

Zero redundancy, a single bullet or bit of shrapnel could cause loss of control...

More soon! 

• Like 8

On 5/30/2021 at 7:31 AM, FG2Si said:

Amazing progress on the Lancaster Peter. Thanks again for sharing it.

There's a new resin cockpit that just came out for the HK 1/32 kit. 

https://www.robertmrozowski.com/https:/www.robertmrozowski.com/shop/1-32-scale-avro-lancaster-cockpit-kit/

Lanc.002-L.jpg

Lanc.012-L.jpg

It's not cheap though. 

Carl

On 5/30/2021 at 9:28 AM, 224 Peter said:

And it will need some work.. much better than the HK models attempt, but the Throttle gate needs levers and the column looks odd, it is plain flat metal on the front, back and sides and the rivets are not visible, 

If it was $50.00 I might get it, but not at £72, too much for me. 

Also, the front pannel is too far back, if you look at my photos the instrument pannel is under the coaming, there is no gap between instrument pannel and the cockpit frame. 

Peter

Dear Peter,

I’m the creator of that model and I’m sorry that you can’t afford to spend $72 for it but I can’t afford to give it away for $50. Apparently you have no idea how much it costs to research, model, 3D print, package, and market a product like this. In fact I wouldn’t sell you one for any amount of money. 

Furthermore I beg to differ with you on a number of your criticisms. For one all on my reference clearly show protruding rivets on the control column edge. Next thiss kit was designed to be used the Airscale’s photo etched instrument panel set which includes the levers. Therefore mine doesn’t have any. 
If you knew anything about the HK kit you would know that a replacement instrument panel has to be lowered to fit into the kit. That’s right, mr expert, the shape of the HK kit is inaccurate. My part is hence lower than the blue print but not too far back. The HK windshield is too far forward.  Sue me for making it fit. 
I would suggest that you stick to your project and keep your pearls of wisdom to yourself. 
Best wishes

Robert Mrozowski 

P.S. It looks like your cockpit needs more work too. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

Dear Peter, thank you very much for taking the time to post the photos and updates here as well as providing measurements and data from as close to the real thing as is possible. It’s the amazing variety of threads that, for me make this website such an amazing place to visit. I’d like to also thank the mods for stepping in when, sadly, it becomes necessary. That is not an easy job.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Dear Robert, I have had a look at your work and it has obviously taken much time and effort. It is a model in itself. I like that you have replied to the comments made by Peter but it really saddens me the insulting way that you’ve made them. I saw no sign of ill will, or mal intent from Peter’s post, only that your product differs from the Avro blue-print project he has been involved with.

I am quite ignorant of the process of producing both real aircraft as well as the process of making models for them. I like learning more about both. I would like to hear more about your sources. That would be to everyones benefit. I have flown hundreds of aircraft, sometimes many of the same type but rarely have they been exactly the same. Modifications or updated manufacturing techniques may make some of your and the projects details both correct.
I liked how you explained why you had made things the way you did - I’d be interested if you started your own thread on your work. But could I ask that you to respect people here, give them the benefit of doubt and be nice to them? I’d value your work and your posts much more then. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, brianj1uk said:

Dear Robert, I have had a look at your work and it has obviously taken much time and effort. It is a model in itself. I like that you have replied to the comments made by Peter but it really saddens me the insulting way that you’ve made them. I saw no sign of ill will, or mal intent from Peter’s post, only that your product differs from the Avro blue-print project he has been involved with.

I am quite ignorant of the process of producing both real aircraft as well as the process of making models for them. I like learning more about both. I would like to hear more about your sources. That would be to everyones benefit. I have flown hundreds of aircraft, sometimes many of the same type but rarely have they been exactly the same. Modifications or updated manufacturing techniques may make some of your and the projects details both correct.
I liked how you explained why you had made things the way you did - I’d be interested if you started your own thread on your work. But could I ask that you to respect people here, give them the benefit of doubt and be nice to them? I’d value your work and your posts much more then. 

This is a modeling forum. We should be encouraging each other not insulting with casual disregard. I’m visiting only because I was told of the affront. The Idea alone that Peter is telling me what the value of my work is, is brazen. 
Peter, if you have any Integrity you will apologize and ask for my forgiveness. 

Robert Mrozowski 

Edited by robertmro
Punctuation correction.
  • Sad 2

I have recently unexpectedly been given some time off work and have taken the opportunity to grab an old Airfix Lanc out of the stash- having a quick search for some reference materials on BM I have discovered this amazing thread- now don't expect me to scratch build this level of detail into my kit, but at least I now know what it's supposed to look like. 🙂 

What a fabulous thread and I'll be along to Old Sarum as soon as I can to have a look at the real thing. 

My sincere thanks to Peter for sharing. 

Regards,

Troffa

• Like 2

Just one photo, the Bomb Aimers Pannel.... 

Bomb-Aimers-Panel.jpg

This arrived recently, somewhat dusty and a few bits missing. 

The main radio radio, R/O and Nav desks will be going in soon. 

More photos to follow. 

• Like 5

And to go with the bomb aimers panel the SABS Bomb sight, which arrived today on loan from the Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum. It is believed to be the only remaining, complete such bombsight - BIG shout out to all of the guys and girls in Norwich and to Cliff Fowler who made it happen. This is their website.... https://www.aviationmuseum.net/

Used almost exclusively by 617 this is a link to the Wiki article about the SABS 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stabilized_Automatic_Bomb_Sight

It is big and heavy, a 2 person lift...!

SABS-Mk-IIa.jpg

Another "Big Box" is the main T/R box due to go into the R/O's station. 

Main-TR-box.jpg

And finally for this week, the canopy structure is back in place, painted black and with the 2 armoured glass panels in it. 

The emergency exit, the glazed square at the top, is very small, considering the pilot and others, wearing parachutes, would have to get through in a hurry. 

spacer.png

I'm not sire what the two instruments are that sit above the cockpit coaming and in front of the pilot. From a photo on "Page 4" they appear to be a "Left/Right" indicator on the left and another dial that seems to be a compass on the right: part of the Gee display perhaps? 

Edited by 224 Peter
Typo...
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, 224 Peter said:

Another "Big Box" is the main T/R box due to go into the R/O's station. 

That's another set of great shots Peter. My father was a Lanc W/Op - the TR1154-55 were the tools of his trade - of which he spoke fondly - oh and the Morse key!

Rich

PS here's a link to the technical manual for the 1154/55 Transmitter Receiver for anyone who is interested in how it works!   

Edited by RichG
  • Like 2

Rich, we have a morse key... it will go in its place on the W/Op's desk. 

I think it is important to record this project as since the mid 1940s no one has built a Lancaster cand certainly not in a way that allows close up photography of each stage. 

I hope it helps everyone building a Lancaster model, whatever the scale from 1:1 downwards...!

Peter

• Like 3

Hi Peter,

Thanks again for taking the time to share photos of this amazing project.

Regarding the pilots instrumentation on the coaming,  the website RichG posted has a good demo of the R/F direction finding indicator you mention.

http://www.tibblestone.com/oldradios/militaryradio/R1155 DF demo 2.mp4

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hovering said:

Hi Peter,

Thanks again for taking the time to share photos of this amazing project.

Regarding the pilots instrumentation on the coaming,  the website RichG posted has a good demo of the R/F direction finding indicator you mention.

http://www.tibblestone.com/oldradios/militaryradio/R1155 DF demo 2.mp4

Brilliant..thanks! 

14 hours ago, RichG said:

That's another set of great shots Peter. My father was a Lanc W/Op - the TR1154-55 were the tools of his trade - of which he spoke fondly - oh and the Morse key!

Rich

PS here's a link to the technical manual for the 1154/55 Transmitter Receiver for anyone who is interested in how it works!   

Rich, many thanks...totally beyond me..!!

I'll pass it to the technical team, I know they want to get some of the electronics working. 

On 6/24/2021 at 10:07 AM, 224 Peter said:

spacer.png

I'm not sire what the two instruments are that sit above the cockpit coaming and in front of the pilot. From a photo on "Page 4" they appear to be a "Left/Right" indicator on the left and another dial that seems to be a compass on the right: part of the Gee display perhaps? 

You say "you are not sure what the two instruments are that sit above the cockpit coaming"  the left hand one is D.F Indicator and right one is the D.R. Compass Repeater 

• Like 1

It stis on a wheeled chassis, so it is moveable, but I have no idea how it will, eventually be displayed. 

We would like a Grand Slam bomb, if anyone has one or knows of one that is available!! 

Today's update: 

More of the cockpit glazing is in place, including the characteristic teardrop shaped observation blister. 

spacer.png

The sliding window moves inside and behind the observation blister. 

• Like 3