Lancaster B1 Special PD130

224 Peter

Avro Lancaster B1 Special PD130 dropped the first Grand Slam bomb on the New Forest ranges  on 1 March 1945, taking off from RAF Boscombe Down. 

The Boscombe Down Aviation Collection, based at Old Sarum Airfield, is re constructing the cockpit section of PD130, using some original frames and a lot of hard work. 

The collection has all the original cockpit fittings, instrumentation and equipment. 

This photo shows the  navigators swivel seat in position:

spacer.png

And here is the pilot's seat, waiting to be fitted

spacer.png

The project will take about a year, I'll post regular photos as I have full and free access to the structure. 

Peter

• Like 26
  • Thanks 7

A long story... collecting the parts was a lifetime project by an enthusiastic pilot, but he got to a point where he realised that he would never finish the project on his own. So he came to an agreement with the BDAC directors that we would build the cockpit section using our professional, if retired, engineers and he would loan the finished section to us for his lifetime. 

We aim to have it all done by the end of 2021. 

BDAC is open, you (and everyone else) can come down any time to have a look and watch the team at work. 

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, 224 Peter said:

A long story... collecting the parts was a lifetime project by an enthusiastic pilot, but he got to a point where he realised that he would never finish the project on his own. So he came to an agreement with the BDAC directors that we would build the cockpit section using our professional, if retired, engineers and he would loan the finished section to us for his lifetime. 

We aim to have it all done by the end of 2021. 

BDAC is open, you (and everyone else) can come down any time to have a look and watch the team at work. 

I was looking for an excuse to visit again. I haven't been for a number  of years now. Is it bookings only due to covid as other museums are doing ?

• Like 1

No, we have lots of space and don't need to do bookings. 

Our risk assessment states that if we started to get close to 50% of our licensed capacity we should introduce bookings. 

In our dreams....the two Aircraft Sheds are licensed for 250.  At the moment we are pleased if we see 20 visitors in a day. 

BTW, last year we took responsibility for the first production Hawk and are expecting the first production Tornado... both spent time at Boscombe Down and are important in their own right.

The Hawk may be doing engine runs next year: everything works, nothing is missing and we have acquired an Adour with plenty of life left.....,

Sadly the Tornado is a shell, but we will take good care and look after her. 

Peter

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Amazing and such a wonderful story to hear!  best wishes on getting everything done!  Please, add more pictures from time to time.

Tom

• Like 1

This week's news: the pilots seat platform and the seat are in place. 

spacer.png

The instrument pannel should go in next week. I'll photograph it as soon as I can...!

This A/C is being built EXACTLY to the AVRO drawings, we have an almost complete set. The platform under the pilots seat is mostly 1mm aluminium sheet, it is difficult to see that it would offer much support under the "G" loadings of a crash landing. 

The holes in the floor are to allow access to the bomb release catches, in case of a hang up a quick release cover is removed and the bomb dropped by prodding the release catch with a steel ruler from the navigators kit....

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Peter

I am so looking forward to seeing the gradual build of this . . .

Do the two poles, one supporting the nav's chair, fix to the top of the frame ?

Can you tell me the height of the platform from the cockpit floor please Peter ?

Will it have a nose section as well ?

Ian

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 1

I'm going in on Thursday and will measure/photograph. 

This is a B1 Special, without a nose turret, and without any armour: the normal back plate behind the pilot's seat is absent. 

We are not building the nose, no turret and too many complex curves to form!!

Edited by 224 Peter
revision
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, FG2Si said:

Thanks for sharing this.  With the recent release of the  HK Model Lancaster nose section, this will come in handy. 

Carl

I was going to wait for the Wingnut Wings version, but as it seems from gossip on the web that Wingnut Wings may have been killed, I guess I'll get the HK M version. 

• Like 2

As the BDAC project continues it is becoming increasingly obvious that the cockpit of the HK Models 1/32 scale Lancaster has a number of very obvious errors. The worst is probably the “platform” supporting the pilot’s seat. 
On the real aircraft the seat sits on a shallow box platform, supported from 2 ribs at the side and. From the main floor with a truss structure along the centre line. 

The dimensions are:
Height, to the upper surface from the floor: 18.75 inches
Width: 31.5 inches
Length: 52 inches maximum.
Thickness: 3 inches

The floor is not a simple rectangle, there is a diagonal cut off at the rear and it partly extends under where the instrument panel will be and the rear legs of the pilot’s seat are 6 inches forward of the rear of the platform.
The last photo above shows the front and side, this next photo shows the rear of the seat platform, 

spacer.png

The front lip of the seat pan is, in the highest position, 16 inches from the floor. 

Turning to the two pillars that are fixed floor to ceiling, note that they are NOT central, but off set to starboard (right hand side looking forward).

The front one, which supports the navigator’s seat, is attached to the second frame after the rear of the cockpit canopy frame. This means that the seat can swing round so that it faces aft, something that is impossible with the kit. 

The second pillar is attached to frame 3, ahead of the astrodome aperture. Again the next two photos show this detail. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

That is it for now, more next week. 

• Like 9

It is so frustrating: I was waiting for the WNW Lancaster, which from all the test shot photos looked spot on.

With WNW seemingly no more, at least for the foreseeable future, I may have to face up to the HKM version and a lot of scratch building in the cockpit! 

• Like 1

Peter I have you to thank for my second kit

I am in the throws of building the kit but undertaking the mods that are required first, such as eliminating the double dinghy stowage and the second set of landing lights.

You have just made the use of the kit's pilot platform useable as I was just waiting on the height by way of confirmation on the 1/1 build..

The kit build will be here soon . . . .

Edited by Mancunian airman

And too the cockpit instrumentation and controls.....

The engineers panel is original, the Anglepoise lamp cost almost £1500! 

The other main panels are new, but to AVRO drawings but with original dials, buttons etc. 

The control column and throttle quadrants are originals, and worth about £7,000 together...

Main Panel

spacer.png

Column and compass 

Note the white painted recess for the compass. 

Column-and-compass.jpg

The throttle Quadrant and other controls. 

spacer.png

The engineers panel

spacer.png

And the navigators station, plus radio and a display, I think for Gee, but am not certain. 

spacer.png

We will be getting a further shipment of parts in a couple of weeks, I'll keep taking photos as things develop! 

• Like 12

• 1 month later...

Aircraft building isn't the fastest process, especially when all you have are digital copies of plans that date back to 1940... But the team are making progress. 

Starting where I left off last time, the Navigators panels are all in place, 

spacer.png

The most interesting is the box upper right. This is a track plotter, it shines a point light source down onto the chart table, and when properly set up the actual path of the A/C is followed. 

Next the pilots seat, mounted on its platform and with the trim controls at the side. 

The Throttle box is in place and the control column positioned. 

spacer.png

The instrument panel and  part of the throttle box. 

spacer.png

More detail of the throttle box and trim controls, the compass can be seen on the left. 

spacer.png

Now a slightly different view, the astrodome and the bubble sextant in place. This instrument would normally only be installed by the navigator after takeoff. 

spacer.png

Finally, looking forward.  The orange strap is essential to stop it all collapsing, without the aircraft skin in place the frames have no real strength. 

spacer.png

The navigators seat is cantilevered out from the front support strut. 

More as it happens.....

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

• 4 weeks later...

Time for an update. 

Most of the work over the last few weeks has been on the canopy framing: we had some original pieces, but much reconstruction was needed. 

This shows the canopy from the outside...

spacer.png

Note the sliding panels: they move in cast aluminium runners, top and bottom. The horizontal bat is the grip and lever, the pannel slides inwards and back. So on a model it should only show on the inside. 

This photo from the inside shows more detail, note the panel beside to pilot, this includes Oxygen and other important services.

spacer.png

And finally, a view forward from the astrodome...

spacer.png

The rails for the sliding section of the canopy are clear, fixed in 5 places to the frame at the top. 

More as it happens, slowly! 

• Like 8

The throttle quadrant has been in my garage for nearly 40 years since I bought it at the very first aerojumble I ever attended!  The Flight Engineer's Panel is a very good replica I had made some years ago.

Good to see them being incorporated into a bigger project.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Peter

huge thanks for taking the time to post those photos and comments on where the HK kit departs from accuracy. Really helpful if like me you have one in the stash for a future build. Very much appreciated as I would have built in ignorance and missed the chance to consider corrections 

Sad the the WNW product will not now happen but a short time ago we seemed happy enough that anyone was doing a 1/32 Lanc at all.