Best 1/72nd P-63 Kingcobra

Wez

Of the currently readily available P-63 Kingcobra's in 1/72nd scale there are kits by Toko/Eastern Express, AMG and Dora Wings, can anyone who's made either of the latter give an opinion on these kits.

Do the kits, regardless of version released include the parts to make a standard P-63C?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "either of the latter", but I believe AMG and Dora Wings are the same company. In which case, your choice is clear, I think!

John

16 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "either of the latter", but I believe AMG and Dora Wings are the same company. In which case, your choice is clear, I think!

John

John,

That's what I wasn't sure about, good news that they're the same kit.

Knowing that, as you say, obvious choice really!

Be careful with that assumption.  There are some differences in version among the AMG/Dora Wings P-63's.  Some releases are for P-63A's, some for P-63C's, some for P-63 racer conversions (and there's one for a Pinball vriant).  I'd decide what you want to model first and then google for reviews of kits for that version.

• Thanks 1

@Wez,

Not clear from your initial query- is it the P-63C that you want to build, or another version like the P/RP-63A or RG-63G? Dimensions for the three main production variants,  P-63A, P-63C, and RP-63G were the same: 38' 4" wingspan and 32' 8" overall length. The P-63C had a ventral fin, which was the main external difference between it and the other two versions. The RP-63G was fitted with an Aeroproducts paddle blade prop that had a constant chord blade profile, as opposed to the tapered blades of the A and C versions. The prop on the RP-63G was very similar to the one fitted to P-51H's and F-82's.

I have the scale drawings from the Warpaint monograph and the Squadron In Action, and they look nice but they are underscale. There are excellent scale drawings for all versions  in the AJ Press monograph- they measure to specs,, but they are to 1/48 scale.

The only Dora Wings/AMG P-63 kit I have is the E, which is engineered to be built as a single seat C or a two-seat E. The length and span match the published specs, but the kit is a lot more complicated than it needs to be; trying to get too many versions from one set of molds, and having separate control surfaces and flaps adds to degree of difficulty; it does have a very nice cockpit and poseable cockpit entry doors. It reminds me of the DML/Dragon kits- very detailed but a lot more complicated than they need to be. Now, if Arma Hobby would only do one....

Getting back on track, it is a big improvement over the Toko/Roden kits, and don't even think about getting the old Aoshima kit!

Mike

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 72modeler said:

@Wez,

Not clear from your initial query- is it the P-63C that you want to build, or another version like the P/RP-63A or RG-63G? Dimensions for the three main production variants,  P-63A, P-63C, and RP-63G were the same: 38' 4" wingspan and 32' 8" overall length. The P-63C had a ventral fin, which was the main external difference between it and the other two versions. The RP-63G was fitted with an Aeroproducts paddle blade prop that had a constant chord blade profile, as opposed to the tapered blades of the A and C versions. The prop on the RP-63G was very similar to the one fitted to P-51H's and F-82's.

I have the scale drawings from the Warpaint monograph and the Squadron In Action, and they look nice but they are underscale. There are excellent scale drawings for all versions  in the AJ Press monograph- they measure to specs,, but they are to 1/48 scale.

The only Dora Wings/AMG P-63 kit I have is the E, which is engineered to be built as a single seat C or a two-seat E. The length and span match the published specs, but the kit is a lot more complicated than it needs to be; trying to get too many versions from one set of molds, and having separate control surfaces and flaps adds to degree of difficulty; it does have a very nice cockpit and poseable cockpit entry doors. It reminds me of the DML/Dragon kits- very detailed but a lot more complicated than they need to be. Now, if Arma Hobby would only do one....

Getting back on track, it is a big improvement over the Toko/Roden kits, and don't even think about getting the old Aoshima kit!

Mike

Mike,

I'm thinking about making a French P-63C in Indochina.

Forewarned about the fit is noted.

12 hours ago, Gmat said:

Aoshima did one in their dark ages very basic. Box had a bluish P-63 flying over Niagara Falls?

Yes, I'm aware of this one, I understood it was nearer 1/75 scale but I may well be wrong, anyway, it's not readily available.

15 hours ago, Bert said:

There is the MPM kit. I built it quite a few years ago. 

Thanks, I'm aware of this one but again, it's not readily available

15 hours ago, JWM said:

Years ago I did Toko one, this was a short run, rather basic, not easy to do.

Regards

J-W

Jerzy,

Always a pleasure to see your work.  I have the Toko kit but I was hoping for something more refined.

16 hours ago, jimmaas said:

Be careful with that assumption.  There are some differences in version among the AMG/Dora Wings P-63's.  Some releases are for P-63A's, some for P-63C's, some for P-63 racer conversions (and there's one for a Pinball vriant).  I'd decide what you want to model first and then google for reviews of kits for that version.

Checking the AMG Pinball boxing it has markings for a French P-63 on it and the parts breakdown appears to give all the parts to make a P-63C so hopefully, that's the one for me (as it's currently available).

Thanks all for your input.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Wez said:

Jerzy,

Always a pleasure to see your work.  I have the Toko kit but I was hoping for something more refined.

Thank you. To be frank I am thinking on buying the Dora wings model, just to have a pleasure of construction something modern

Regards

J-W

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JWM said:

I am thinking on buying the Dora wings model, just to have a pleasure of construction something modern

Regards

J-W

It's definitely the way to go, as it is better detailed and proportioned than any of the available or OOP kits. I had the MPM and  Aoshima kits, which I got rid of, as well as a resin kit by HiTech, I think, but it was a trade table purchase and was missing some parts, so I stripped it for the detail and etched parts and am using the wings and fuselage as a paint mule. I also have two of the Toko/Roden kits, and they are OK, but the detail parts are soft and the intakes need refining; I was keeping them in case nobody else gave us a decent kit.

At Lackland AB where I live, they have a very large aircraft  collection  that is displayed outdoors, with some pretty rare aircraft, including the only surviving RP-63G Pinball, which for the longest time was one of the few aircraft left in its original colors and markings; several years ago, they stripped it of its original overall international orange paint, and repainted it silver! I have a lot of photos of it, and you can really see all of the thick aluminum armor plate applied to the wings and fuselage, as well as the indicator lights in the wings, fuselage, and nose that signalled hits. Many, many years ago I did a modeling article on the Pinballs in the IPMS Quarterly with 1/72 drawings. IIRC, the AFM has an original RP-63A Pinball. Ex- astronaut Frank Borman has a beautifully restored P-63A that he flies and it is very authentic; you can do a search for walkarounds and detail photos to help you with your P-63C project. We had a fairly long discussion on P-63's a while back that centered around the various coolant/oil cooler intake variations- you might also look for it, as the were some excellent photos. 

Best references are Cobra! The Bell Aircraft Corporation, 1934-46; Warbird Tech v17; Squadron In-Action, AJ Press P-63; P-39 Airacobra in Detail and Scale, and The Flying Pinballs, of which I have all but the Warbird Tech, so if you have anything you need looked up, let me know. I do like the French Kingcobras as much as the RP-63G Pinball, which is my favorite.

A very capable airplane, but arrived too late, as the P-38. P-47, and P-51 were already in production, and it was just as good as them in many respects, but no better. A shame that the mechanical two stage, two speed supercharger fitted to the Kingcobra was not installed in the P-39, as that would have made all the difference in the world at a time when we really needed a fighter that could compete with the Axis opposition.

Mike

The Lackland AB RP-63G

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1385466

AFM P-63E painted to represent an RP-63C 

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/196305/bell-p-63e-kingcobra/

The Lackland RP-63G as she looks today- blasphemy!

https://www.airfighters.com/photo/181228/M/USA-Air-Force/Bell-RP-63G-Kingcobra/45-57295/

Frank Borman's P-63A

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/p39-p63registry/p63-4311223.html

Hope this helps you a little bit!

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Mike and thanks also for the links.

I have the D&S book somewhere.

What are the differences between a P-63C and a P-63E?

1 hour ago, Wez said:

What are the differences between a P-63C and a P-63E?

According to Cobra! the P-63E-1 was the same as the P-63C-5, with the ventral fin. The E had an engine change, the V-1710-109 versus the V-1710-117, with either a 37mm or 20mm cannon fitted in the nose. Of the 1561 examples contracted for, only 13 were built. Basically a P-63C with a different engine, so no external difference between it and a C. There was a P-63E-5 planned for the Russians that had a bubble canopy, larger ventral fin, larger fin, and revised wing fillets and cowling, but  the  1674 called for were cancelled before any of this block were built.

Mike 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon Wez

I was just thinking of this aircraft yesterday when I found your post, if I can get a Dorawings kit I would like to build a French Kingcobra in Indochina ...

Best Regards

Patrice

20 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Wez

I was just thinking of this aircraft yesterday when I found your post, if I can get a Dorawings kit I would like to build a French Kingcobra in Indochina ...

Best Regards

Patrice

Patrice,

You're thinking along the same lines as me!  This kit has one French option from GC.II/5 but I'm hanging out for this one because I'm hoping it will offer more options.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Wez said:

Patrice,

You're thinking along the same lines as me!  This kit has one French option from GC.II/5 but I'm hanging out for this one because I'm hoping it will offer more options.

Good morning Wez

Yes I think that this one https://www.scalemates.com/kits/amg-72204-p-63c-kingcobra--1169846 

should offer more choice if you can find it for a good price I ordered yesterday this one https://www.scalemates.com/kits/dora-wings-dw7201d-bell-p-63cande-kingcobra--1190403

which also has a decals option for an aircraft of GC 2/9 Auvergne and I found it there

https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/dora-wings-bell-p-63c-e-kingcobra-dual-combo-2-in-1-1-72-plastic-model-kit/

Best regards

Patrice

On 25/07/2020 at 20:11, Work In Progress said:

P-63 fans and prospective modellers may appreciate this 

Thanks for sharing that walkround, very interesting.