1/32 Trumpeter F-18F

horrido109

Good day all,

I hope you are all healthy and safe.. I have a quick question for those who might know. I want to build a 1/32 F/A-18F but can only get hold of the Trumpeter Growler in 1/32. I believe that it is not quite 100% accurate as a Growler which should work in my favor if I wanted to make an F from it. I do have decals. Can someone please tell me if there are there any specific things that needs to be corrected/changed on the Trumpeter Growler that is not already "F ready"

I am particularly interested to know if the Growler kit also includes the correct rear F model IP (I know it includes the Growler IP) and nose gun panel (that the Growler doesn't have) etc. Lastly, are there any major flaws in the Trumpeter Super Hornet kits that I should be aware of? Not interested in the Revell offering.

Thank you in advance

Victor  

Edited by horrido109

G'day Victor,

I don't do 1/32 and have not seen the Trumpy kit but to backdate a G to F first you need to be aware that the early Fs were a little different to late Fs (which are closer to Gs)

The early Fs had a different rear cockpit and the engine heat exchange panels were different.

Later Fs had the ACS cockpit which is very similar to the G (no dual flight controls and a different rear instrument panel) as well as having the satcom antenna on the spine. The G has the bard stack type heat exchangers which are also seen on later model Fs

To backdate from a G, as you correctly stated you will need the gun blast diffusert panel. You will also need to leave off the wing fences. install wingtip LAU-127 missile launchers as well as leaving off the rear fuselage antennas - the D shaped ones on the engine access dooors. The LEF are also slightly different as the F has a dogtooth whilst the G has a modified section in the same spot. The G also deleted the gun gas vent louvres  around the nose, so you will need to backdate these.

As I said, I have not seen the Trumpy kit so I don't know if the F model parts are included on sprues and marked 'not for use' but you may be lucky. If these bits are there, backdating to a later (Block 26 and up) F model should not be too difficult,

cheers,

Pappy

G’Day Victor, 

I am currently in the process of the same subject ( with several more to follow) and can tell you 100% the Growler kit is the better option to go with for an F Model. You have more options using the EA-18G kit as it contains the same basic airframe sprues as the F kit with the extra G model sprues added. 

Some of the F weapons sprues were removed and the Jammer pods and HARM included in lieu, which isn’t a big deal because most of the Trumpeter weapons are horrible and should be replaced with aftermarket stuff anyway, particularly the AIM-9X which are the worst of any kit I have seen. 

Pappy has pretty much covered off on the airframe differences and the good thing for you (and rubbish thing for anyone trying to build a G) is that Trumpy didn’t include most of the G mods anyway.

The G kit contains both the early style aft cockpit instrument panel used in the F boxing and the ACS panel fitted to later lot number F’s (and G’s) so check your references for the Jet and timeframe you wish to build but both IP’s are present on the sprues, as is the Gun port, wingtip launchers, unfilleted leading edges. And ATFlir pod. 

Trumpeter were a little lazy putting together the Growler kit so In short, straight from the box If you leave off the wing fences and use the gun port you have an F! 

The cockpit sidewalls are non existent so I am using the Eduard interior but if you don’t go that way at least build them in with plasticard.

Intakes are fiddly but with patience should look ok (I rushed mine so now am battling to get them to a pint I am happy with).

I am almost ready to assemble the fuselage but I am led to believe there is a need to brace some areas of the fuse to ensure good alignment but a quick check of other online build articles cover these issues pretty well.

I look forward to seeing some progress.

cheers

Cairnsy

On 7/26/2020 at 10:57 AM, Pappy said:

The G has the bard stack type heat exchangers which are also seen on later model Fs

This is true for the F/A-18Fs (and Es) as built, but my understanding is that most, if not all, of the airframes with the earlier style exhausts were retrofitted with the new style.  The notes I have indicate the early style originally appeared on E models up to BuNo. 165909 and F models up to BuNo. 165934. I don't have a firm timeframe for when the retrofit would have taken place.

On 7/26/2020 at 4:57 PM, Pappy said:

G'day Victor,

I don't do 1/32 and have not seen the Trumpy kit but to backdate a G to F first you need to be aware that the early Fs were a little different to late Fs (which are closer to Gs)

The early Fs had a different rear cockpit and the engine heat exchange panels were different.

Later Fs had the ACS cockpit which is very similar to the G (no dual flight controls and a different rear instrument panel) as well as having the satcom antenna on the spine. The G has the bard stack type heat exchangers which are also seen on later model Fs

To backdate from a G, as you correctly stated you will need the gun blast diffusert panel. You will also need to leave off the wing fences. install wingtip LAU-127 missile launchers as well as leaving off the rear fuselage antennas - the D shaped ones on the engine access dooors. The LEF are also slightly different as the F has a dogtooth whilst the G has a modified section in the same spot. The G also deleted the gun gas vent louvres  around the nose, so you will need to backdate these.

As I said, I have not seen the Trumpy kit so I don't know if the F model parts are included on sprues and marked 'not for use' but you may be lucky. If these bits are there, backdating to a later (Block 26 and up) F model should not be too difficult,

cheers,

Pappy

Thank you very much Pappy. The info you provided is very detailed and helpful. I really appreciate it.

Regards

Victor

6 hours ago, Cairnsy said:

G’Day Victor, 

I am currently in the process of the same subject ( with several more to follow) and can tell you 100% the Growler kit is the better option to go with for an F Model. You have more options using the EA-18G kit as it contains the same basic airframe sprues as the F kit with the extra G model sprues added. 

Some of the F weapons sprues were removed and the Jammer pods and HARM included in lieu, which isn’t a big deal because most of the Trumpeter weapons are horrible and should be replaced with aftermarket stuff anyway, particularly the AIM-9X which are the worst of any kit I have seen. 

Pappy has pretty much covered off on the airframe differences and the good thing for you (and rubbish thing for anyone trying to build a G) is that Trumpy didn’t include most of the G mods anyway.

The G kit contains both the early style aft cockpit instrument panel used in the F boxing and the ACS panel fitted to later lot number F’s (and G’s) so check your references for the Jet and timeframe you wish to build but both IP’s are present on the sprues, as is the Gun port, wingtip launchers, unfilleted leading edges. And ATFlir pod. 

Trumpeter were a little lazy putting together the Growler kit so In short, straight from the box If you leave off the wing fences and use the gun port you have an F! 

The cockpit sidewalls are non existent so I am using the Eduard interior but if you don’t go that way at least build them in with plasticard.

Intakes are fiddly but with patience should look ok (I rushed mine so now am battling to get them to a pint I am happy with).

I am almost ready to assemble the fuselage but I am led to believe there is a need to brace some areas of the fuse to ensure good alignment but a quick check of other online build articles cover these issues pretty well.

I look forward to seeing some progress.

cheers

Cairnsy

Thank you for the reply Cairnsy. I feel guilty that someone like you has basically done all the work with your project and save me all the hassle with mine :)  

Thanks to you guys I am confident that I can turn this kit into something that looks like an F now. As with Pappy's reply, I am extremely grateful for your help.

Regards

Victor

1 hour ago, CT7567 said:

This is true for the F/A-18Fs (and Es) as built, but my understanding is that most, if not all, of the airframes with the earlier style exhausts were retrofitted with the new style.  The notes I have indicate the early style originally appeared on E models up to BuNo. 165909 and F models up to BuNo. 165934. I don't have a firm timeframe for when the retrofit would have taken place.

Thank you for the info. Luckily the VFA-103 jet I want to do is a late F

1 hour ago, CT7567 said:

Thank you for the info. Luckily the VFA-103 jet I want to do is a late F