Attack on La Haye Sainte (Waterloo)

ERK

Evening all,   some more progress  - after cutting the basses off  (very carefully  not to cut their feet off)   I then placed the next batch  in my dio, there is Forty KGL in LHS  now   with more to come.

Erk.spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice work.

A bit off topic, but my wife has been doing some genealogy, and it turns out that one of her ancestors was Henry Oetzman of the 5th KGL at Waterloo. I am sure as a student of the battle you know how fortunate he was to survive.

• Like 3

On 06/10/2021 at 21:43, John_W said:

Very nice work.

A bit off topic, but my wife has been doing some genealogy, and it turns out that one of her ancestors was Henry Oetzman of the 5th KGL at Waterloo. I am sure as a student of the battle you know how fortunate he was to survive.

Thank you for showing an interest in my build,  I must be honest  that name does not ring a bell for me,   I know a few names from the 3 KGL  regiments that where in LHS  at Waterloo  -  a  Rifleman Friedrich Lindau  of the 2nd KGL  - he wrote an excellent account of the battle for LHS,   I also know of the Major  in the Farm  Major Baring who escaped death  by a hair when his horse was shot.

Here is the link to Private Lindau's  letter.    -    https://projecthougoumont.com/rifleman-friedrich-lindau-2nd-light-battalion-kgl/

Erl.

• Like 2

On 06/10/2021 at 22:22, Bertie Psmith said:

I think your figures are smashing, very expressive!

Thank you so much.   far more to come yet  another  40 or so KGL   then all the French  and  some  scenery around the Farm.

Erk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ERK said:

Thank you for showing an interest in my build,  I must be honest  that name does not ring a bell for me,   I know a few names from the 3 KGL  regiments that where in LHS  at Waterloo  -  a  Rifleman Friedrich Lindau  of the 2nd KGL  - he wrote an excellent account of the battle for LHS,   I also know of the Major  in the Farm  Major Baring who escaped death  by a hair when his horse was shot.

Here is the link to Private Lindau's  letter.    -    https://projecthougoumont.com/rifleman-friedrich-lindau-2nd-light-battalion-kgl/

Erl.

As he was a private, his name didn't make the Roll Call. I was unaware of the severe casualties inflicted on 5KGL by the French Cavalry. Nineteen survivors out of five Hundred is appalling

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John_W said:

As he was a private, his name didn't make the Roll Call. I was unaware of the severe casualties inflicted on 5KGL by the French Cavalry. Nineteen survivors out of five Hundred is appalling

Indeed  - when the 5th came down from the ridge to help the 2nd and part 5th in the Farm  - they did not see the French Cuirassiers till it was too late, they could not form a square and had no chance.

Erk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lovely work, great painting.  

This reminds me a bit of the large Waterloo model that used to be on display in Dover castle but larger in scale and better in quality.

It would be great to research the names of the soldiers and associate those names with figures in you model.  I think there was a website where you could look up the names - something to do with Waterloo 250..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Lovely work, great painting.  

This reminds me a bit of the large Waterloo model that used to be on display in Dover castle but larger in scale and better in quality.

It would be great to research the names of the soldiers and associate those names with figures in you model.  I think there was a website where you could look up the names - something to do with Waterloo 250..

Thank you so much.

Erk.

11 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Well further research put us in touch with another descendent who has letters and documents from Henry/Heinrich, and it turns out he was at the farm that day and not on the ridge. 

Turns out yet another of my wife's relatives was a private with the 71st Highlanders also at Waterloo.

According to family legend, I had an ancestor on my father's side who was a drummer boy in the Irish Guards.

Loving the progress.

• Like 3

spacer.png

1 hour ago, John_W said:

Well further research put us in touch with another descendent who has letters and documents from Henry/Heinrich, and it turns out he was at the farm that day and not on the ridge. 

Turns out yet another of my wife's relatives was a private with the 71st Highlanders also at Waterloo.

According to family legend, I had an ancestor on my father's side who was a drummer boy in the Irish Guards.

Loving the progress.

A famouse painting  of the scene    - showing the desperate scene in LHS.

Erk.

• Like 4

On 16/10/2021 at 18:24, John_W said:

Loving the progress.

Its an honour to build this with your family ties   - thank  you for telling me about  your history   -  keep following there is far more to come.

Erk.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Evening all   - I'm  Back,   I decided to  put on hold my other projects  and  pick up where I left off  with this,    this calls for the ast of the buildings  in the shape of  the kitchen garden  shed/store  type building -  this is attached to a small area of paving  and a short length of wall.

I dis my normal trick with the brickwork  and  White paintwork   - still a bit more to do to it  before it can be placed against the Farm House.

Erk.spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

Late to this build, but looking wonderful so far. The figure painting is really excellent!

Thank you  kindly,   the biggest hurdle  will be getting my head around the Grass scenery  - never done anything like that before.

Erk.