Airfix Bristol Bloodhound

For my third (and last) entry in this very enjoyable GB there can be only one possibility.

Located in this box

DSC04242

there are parts from three Bloodhound kits purchased some years ago as a project to build a diorama based on the box art which showed 4 Bloodhounds etc..

For various reasons the project never completed but I guessed that the box contained enough parts to build one set while keeping within the 25% rule. As there are only 12 pieces made up (mainly the Landrover) this comes to about 18%.

Why the only possibility. When first issued  (1960) this was an Airfix Series One kits - with 4 separate builds + personnel and dog, this seemed great value. So I have to revisit this one.

Will be OOB and built as a kid - I might even leave a fingerprint on it!

As an aside it's worth looking at the Scalemates entry for this as it contains the American boxing. This is an all action boxing and has the bizarre placing of the launch pad on the trailer!

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-02309-0-bristol-bloodhound-missile--181446

Here are (most of) the parts

DSC04244

I noticed the missing part when I looked in the box.

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Paul821 said:

Will be OOB and built as a kid

This post may only be of interest to modellers of a certain age!

It's 1960 and the new Airfix Bloodhound has arrived at your local newsagent you spend two weeks pocket money on the kit and take it home to build.

All you have are a few Airfix enamel paints (probably those that came in a set of small phials) and a tube of that cement with the distinctive smell - indeed all you might have is the capsule of glue that can with kits.

The  question is what do you do about these?

DSC04245

The flash can be dealt with by a pair of scissors - but do you just ignore the sink holes - what else can you do?

Remember there you read no modelling magazines  - you only role model (sic) are the presenters of the programme "Blue Peter" who deal with some modelling Although you would have seen Barry Bucknell's popular DIY programmes

• Like 4

There were aircraft magazines covering modelling, notably perhaps  RAF Flying Review, although Aeromodeller wasn't a great guide to plastics.  There was at least one other which I only saw rarely and very irregularly.  Decent Humbrol paint was available fairly easily - more so than the inferior Airfix.  Just about every fellow schoolboy made models - though this was perhaps reducing a little by 1960 there were still  lot of enthusiasm around for the hobby.  Older lads would show their collections, including those carved from balsa and painted in all sorts of exotic (to young Airfix/Frog modellers!) subjects with after-market (long before the term was invented) transfer sheets.  Life wasn't quite the desert you describe.

Another Airfix classic - looking forward to seeing what you can do with it.

As an aside, I went to a lecture at RAF Cosford and the chap lecturing said that the RAF only had one spare round per launcher if war broke out - due to treasury restrictions - kinda scary!

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Life wasn't quite the desert you describe.

I think that depends on your age amoung other things. Those friends who were interested in models were more into railways and dinky toys, my pocket money did not stretch beyond a kit once in a while and the only retailers near me were two newsagents. 

Well, as a guide, in 1960 I was 13.  Not a lot of pocket money although enough for a 2/- kit at the weekend, and I was getting monthly magazines delivered by the local newsagent from in the late 50s.  There was also the local library - though there was a much better one a few miles away which made a nice Saturday morning walk - which provided lots of ideas although little direct modelling guidance.  I do remember one book on car models by the  great Gerald Wingrove.   It is true that the great spurt of popularity in the hobby was a couple of years before with the Frog/Comet kits in local newsagents (I also remember Lindberg there) and Airfix appearing in Woolworths.

I recall the Hercules as a great disappointment.  Every year Airfix gave us a big WW2 bomber, so that year (with Revell having done the obvious Condor) it was clearly going to be the Pe.8, or perhaps an Emily?  What a let-down.  OK, I can now agree that the Hercules was a much more commercial choice, but I didn't think in those terms, that young.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 5:43 AM, Paul821 said:

This post may only be of interest to modellers of a certain age!

It's 1960 and the new Airfix Bloodhound has arrived at your local newsagent you spend two weeks pocket money on the kit and take it home to build.

All you have are a few Airfix enamel paints (probably those that came in a set of small phials) and a tube of that cement with the distinctive smell - indeed all you might have is the capsule of glue that can with kits.

The  question is what do you do about these?

DSC04245

The flash can be dealt with by a pair of scissors - but do you just ignore the sink holes - what else can you do?

Remember there you read no modelling magazines  - you only role model (sic) are the presenters of the programme "Blue Peter" who deal with some modelling Although you would have seen Barry Bucknell's popular DIY programmes

I'd be yelling "medic!" for the guys either side of the middle one!

I love the Bloodhound kit! I built one a while back and just recently scored another on ebay - like you I had in mind to display them as a battery - gotta get a few more first.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, John said:

Did anybody ever work out what these guys were supposed to be doing - in a synchronised way? 😀

John

If you arrange them in a circle they play scissors, paper, stone

• Haha 7

8 hours ago, John said:

Did anybody ever work out what these guys were supposed to be doing - in a synchronised way? 😀

John

they saw their army brothers pulling that cord you pull to fire a howitzer and they thought that's how you launched a Bloodhound.

"ok chaps best to stand to the side of the missile when you yank the old cord, eh? Not directly behind it, could get a little warm there".

• Haha 6

On 7/23/2020 at 12:02 AM, AdrianMF said:

I hope you are going to include the dog...

On 7/23/2020 at 12:39 AM, modelling minion said:

and a second shout out for including the dog!

So just to prove that this build has  not stalled

DSC04313

the dog is ready for the Gallery

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Work on the GB Bloodhound continues but as I mentioned the start I was able to meet the 25% rule but combining parts of three kits each of which had been started to some extent. I thus used the other parts to construct this:

bh

DSC04349

as to the inspiration for this bizarre build you need to view the header of the US version of the kit

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-corporation-america-m7-49-bristol-bloodhound--168456

what I have not reproduced is the vicious dogs bottom left.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Speaking of Thunderbirds, I always thought the Army Thunderbird AA missile was simple a variant of the Bloodhound painted green, but apparently that was not the case!.

Pete

So this is the kit "as I built it as a kid"

DSC04357

DSC04356

However it will not make it's way into the Gallery yet as I want to use the remaining time in the GB to do some minor upgrades.

• Like 4

Due to circumstances I did not complete the detailing work on this one. However before I leave this thread and the GB draws to a close. I thought i'd tell your a story based on suggestions from @ dansk and @bianfuxia

Firstly the erk's play a game of rock paper scissors under the watchful eyes of their superiors & the dog

DSC04380

then the lucky? winner? gets to fire the Bloohood pulling a piece of string

DSC04381

everyone else having retire to a very safe distance.

Thanks to those who have watched and commented on this build at least it ended with some play value and that was what much of building a kit as a kid was about - adding to to your army / air force /  navy to fight that ongoing war in your head with (in my case) the Nazi's who appeared in Victor Comic every week.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3