Hi Guys, return to classic cars. This time Italeri Mercedes 300 SL. As of today, engine is ready for placement. It was the poorest engine available in box. Just a piece of plastic with few elements. Originally 14 elements, but now it is 243 incl. every single nut. I had to make from scratch a lot of elements, joints, wires, tubes, nuts, equipment, modifications to come up to original shape, etc. etc. Enjoy,

at the beginning comparison to "international metric system", i.e. lighter :)

MaMsuWj.jpg

wVTFJCo.jpg

5LjZsDQ.jpg

GY3ziFU.jpg

8gOuhYb.jpg

Mub72tr.jpg

EhLJvL7.jpg

regards

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

That’s a great start. Very nice detailing on the engine.

That is indeed some serious work on the engine! Looking forward to more of this build!

That's certainly looking like a labour of love. Looks great, but if it was me I'm not sure I'd be able to face the rest of the car with that much detail!

Not just a great engine build, but well photographed too.

Hi Guys, a short update with the frame and suspension. I sprayed black semigloss at the frame not with aero but spray can. As it gives pretty strong pressure, you can get some air bulbs which once dry, then can be marked as small rust spots. All pictures of this car in real life, I've seen in the net , present fully restored ones, almost brand new. So I used this "almost" to have some rust spots and marks :)

tOOLK2w.jpg

d20U2HV.jpg

Later I realized that even sealed, the set was not original. This white part was broken off and missing... So I had to make it myslef.

aF5kckl.jpg

Then I have assembled front & rear suspension

AJw1p8X.jpg

nN8oDLc.jpg

uBDApLq.jpg

WPVImEv.jpg

iYhRXkA.jpg

rvTPQ04.jpg

D2nhC9Z.jpg 

to be continued...

• Like 6
Posted (edited)

Do you mean that silver steel hangers? I made them from steel stripes. Maybe they should be more "used"?

Edited by Angus73
  • 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

because of holiday and workload, small update. I have started to work on interior. First I had covered with leather but the final result had not satisfied me due to pretty complicated curves of particular elements. So I had removed it and than painted to reach the leather-like layout. I used structured paint from ZP for leather effect and brown to make it darker. I think it is much better.

IKr1eby.jpg

Q3fZ8LE.jpg

1cSg56p.jpg

I have just mounted engine and exhaust pipes, flocked spare wheel compartment and cooler with pipes.

DYWNJ6E.jpg

a6vll7k.jpg

YWhAVld.jpg

f6PuP98.jpg

dpnboCR.jpg

tbc, regards

• Like 10

Yes, love the seats. Look really good in this scale. 

Very intersting job @Angus73..

And easier to extra-detail the engine at this scale than on my MB 300SL 1:24 from Tamiya.

Your example is chalenging for me...let's see if I managed to do as good as you :)

Good choice to remove the leather from the seats. The paint has worked really well! I’ve never tried Zero’s textured paints. Did you spray or brush?

I have sprayed it with aero, several very tiny layers. If it is sprayed too much, it brakes. So 5-6 times. Then dark brown ZP and clear semigloss, with aero as well.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys, short update. I have prepared a dashboard and rear panel of engine. There are some pictures of it separated and placed into engine compartment. Regards and tbc :)

5IHNxPv.jpg

xgj9g2k.jpg

jgjSTcK.jpg

and a panel of engine

iQbHhjv.jpg

8KXihpJ.jpg

gFCeRNE.jpg

6F1IDa5.jpg

OpuAB6E.jpg

• Like 4