Mercedes 300 SL 1:16

Hi Guys, return to classic cars. This time Italeri Mercedes 300 SL. As of today, engine is ready for placement. It was the poorest engine available in box. Just a piece of plastic with few elements. Originally 14 elements, but now it is 243 incl. every single nut. I had to make from scratch a lot of elements, joints, wires, tubes, nuts, equipment, modifications to come up to original shape, etc. etc. Enjoy,

at the beginning comparison to "international metric system", i.e. lighter :)

MaMsuWj.jpg

wVTFJCo.jpg

5LjZsDQ.jpg

GY3ziFU.jpg

8gOuhYb.jpg

Mub72tr.jpg

EhLJvL7.jpg

regards

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

That's certainly looking like a labour of love. Looks great, but if it was me I'm not sure I'd be able to face the rest of the car with that much detail!

Not just a great engine build, but well photographed too.

Hi Guys, a short update with the frame and suspension. I sprayed black semigloss at the frame not with aero but spray can. As it gives pretty strong pressure, you can get some air bulbs which once dry, then can be marked as small rust spots. All pictures of this car in real life, I've seen in the net , present fully restored ones, almost brand new. So I used this "almost" to have some rust spots and marks :)

tOOLK2w.jpg

d20U2HV.jpg

Later I realized that even sealed, the set was not original. This white part was broken off and missing... So I had to make it myslef.

aF5kckl.jpg

Then I have assembled front & rear suspension

AJw1p8X.jpg

nN8oDLc.jpg

uBDApLq.jpg

WPVImEv.jpg

iYhRXkA.jpg

rvTPQ04.jpg

D2nhC9Z.jpg 

to be continued...

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

because of holiday and workload, small update. I have started to work on interior. First I had covered with leather but the final result had not satisfied me due to pretty complicated curves of particular elements. So I had removed it and than painted to reach the leather-like layout. I used structured paint from ZP for leather effect and brown to make it darker. I think it is much better.

IKr1eby.jpg

Q3fZ8LE.jpg

1cSg56p.jpg

I have just mounted engine and exhaust pipes, flocked spare wheel compartment and cooler with pipes.

DYWNJ6E.jpg

a6vll7k.jpg

YWhAVld.jpg

f6PuP98.jpg

dpnboCR.jpg

tbc, regards

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys, an update with body ready for next steps. The original blue plastic is painted with blue primer, Arctic Blue ZP and Clear Diamond ZP and polished. I love it, the shine, depth and metallic blue cold color is so different depending on angle, light and background, that I don't know what is real :)

zsD7y8X.jpg

ks5mw54.jpg

JHS5UtW.jpg

3xZKnXM.jpg

ryCGvCV.jpg

pGwb4mR.jpg

ryCGvCV.jpg

tbc, regards

Edited by Angus73
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, almost, almost, slowly comes up to the end. I am happy that body fits to rest part of chassis, almost without even glue, just few spots to fix it. 

QsQWoBy.jpg

njCQaqC.jpg

xsnbH7E.jpg

amszSGR.jpg

9IMolLp.jpg

some parts still to be fixed, but now it seems like a car :)

As we are just few days after new AC/DC album release..... "For those about to scalemodelling - we salute you"

Regards

• Like 4

Very handsome model. Nice colour combo. I did not hear any other gripes from you, so, apart from the engine details (or lack of it), am I correct in assuming that this is a fairly well designed kit?

Hi, overall it's a good model, all parts are very well prepared. The only thing is the size of the door. I think that they are a bit (1-1,5mm) too long. Or the issue is with its hinge, I don't know. I checked if it is possible to move them or shorten, but finally I have not. I've tried to fix them as only I can but maybe my skills are still for improvement. Take my invitation to gallery section. Regards