BA Landor Grey and American new grey

I can't help with American but Xtracolor make a specific BA Landor Pearl Grey - X304. The last time I used it I thought it was a bit on the dark side and added about 30% white but others may disagree.

Revell 371, enamel or Aqua to taste, is also pretty close.

Dave G

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

I can't help with American but Xtracolor make a specific BA Landor Pearl Grey - X304. The last time I used it I thought it was a bit on the dark side and added about 30% white but others may disagree.

Revell 371, enamel or Aqua to taste, is also pretty close.

Dave G

Nice, I shall be using aqua 371 when ever I eventually get to a landor build :)

Found this pic for reference, the middle section of the engine is the well known boeing grey, so it’s slightly darker and bluer then that 

edit: apparently its not grey but a silver mica, so there goes any chance of brushing it.....

50143519556_87866816c4_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Bumping this thread, doesn’t help much but least have discovered the actual paint code of the AA grey as BAC7145 express grey.  Could get a some if you had a spare $460 dollars, least could do a whole fleet of 1/144s. https://www.blendsupply.com/buy/product/SWA-Y07018-GL/CLENCe1126f1dfb9194cba71e2ead45605664 Also think I might have found a potential Landor grey sub though I’ve yet to order it, Vallejo White-Grey. 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

A further update, was browsing looking for spray for the Virgin Atlantic pearl almost white, think Halfords VW White Silver might actually be a candidate for either AA grey or Virgin Pearl or Landor grey depending how dark it actually comes out based on pictures of VWs on google it could be any one of the three 

Edit,  looking on a laptop rather than phone VW White Silver is too white for AA grey but looks a good candidate for a BA Landor Grey as a Spray, though maybe just a tad dark for Virgin Pearl, I will try it out  at some point 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2020 at 9:16 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

A further update

Hi Phantom,

After reading this update, and looking at greys of various shades for my 747 build, I bought a can of Halfords VW White Silver.  It is quite a light grey and perhaps not the correct tone for the Negus livery but I like it and think it is close enough to pass.  I’ll repaint the elevators that are too dark and post a picture for comparison.  Meanwhile, thanks for the tip.

Cheers

Dennis

resized_8cdb5a20-b639-4a1c-b75c-2fef768a

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neilg said:

Is the Landor pearl grey actually metallic?

Hi Neil,

If you mean the real deal, well I don’t know.  The Halfords stuff I just bought has finely ground metal particles that show depending on the angle of the light. It look predominantly grey with just a bit of sparkle to it.  

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

Hi Dennis,

The Landor grey is not metallic .  Neither is the Negus white (or was that a mistaken reference, and you meant Landor?).

I'd say that the Volkswagen White Silver is way too light in tone for Landor.

• Like 1

I suppose the name might be a little misleading but Landor Pearl Grey is not pearlescent and it certainly isn't metallic. It's simply a very pale grey. BA have never used either pearlescent or metallic colours for any of their three standard liveries.

• Like 2

Genuily forgot this thread started out with aqua 371 being recommended. Concluded having seen builds on google yeah it’s looks right. Though Whoever it was who has the can of VW Silver, like to see the results as it could be a Virgin Pearl Grey. Also for AA grey discovered Vallejo do an acrylic metal medium which could perform the same job of Xtracolour MICA so I shall get a pot of that and try it over a very light grey.  Edit awful pic of Revell 04, 371, Val993 and Xtracrylix “White” 

50782293063_d67b527cba_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

I don't know if I can be of much help with the BA grey, and I know brush paints were requested, but for the AA grey I had a go with an initial base coat of Tamiya Mica Silver rattle can paint. Over that is a mist of Tamiya Pearl White (again from a rattle can).

50262533098_0dc01f7737_k.jpg

All the best,

Sam

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my hands on a bottle of Vallejo 521, can confirm its ideal as a mica coat, can be brushed on as its quite thin but also could be airbrushed either on direct or mixed with another colour. Though in terms of AA grey, still at a loss as the all the greys with it over still lack the blue hue of AA grey of the real thing and Scotsman07 build linked earlier, even over revell 371.  

Hey! 

At the moment I'm with a British Airways Landor 747-400 on hands and it was also a bit difficult for me to find the colors (grey and blue) for the painting. I use Vallejo colors, they are not enamel though. I've mixed by eye some grey and white and I'm very satisfied with the result.

836D595D-53D1-4576-B4F1-B64176A6C68C

• 4 weeks later...

I'm aware I am likely late to assist you with the post for the new American gray aka Mica.  I fly for American.  I built a couple of aircraft for a couple of retiring Captains. I wound up going over to maintenance to get a paint sample.  The simplest way to duplicate the Mica is as follows:  Base is Mr. Color 338, light coat of Tamiya TS 65 Pearl clear. The use of Boeing gray on the nacelles, wings and control surfaces can be accomplished by using the Tamiya AS16 light gray.  I used Mr Hobby Super Clear Gloss, B513 after adequate drying time for the base/clear and decals with the application of Microsol and set.

Perhaps this will be helpful to others in the future .

10 hours ago, Capt Keith said:

I'm aware I am likely late to assist you with the post for the new American gray aka Mica.  I fly for American.  I built a couple of aircraft for a couple of retiring Captains. I wound up going over to maintenance to get a paint sample.  The simplest way to duplicate the Mica is as follows:  Base is Mr. Color 338, light coat of Tamiya TS 65 Pearl clear. The use of Boeing gray on the nacelles, wings and control surfaces can be accomplished by using the Tamiya AS16 light gray.  I used Mr Hobby Super Clear Gloss, B513 after adequate drying time for the base/clear and decals with the application of Microsol and set.

Perhaps this will be helpful to others in the future .

Did you get a paint sample to use, or just to do a colour match?

16 hours ago, neilg said:

Did you get a paint sample to use, or just to do a colour match?

I actually picked up about a half ounce of paint.  As you probably suspected Mica is not a single stage paint.