Hawker Hurricane Mk IIc 1/48 Arma Hobby

Seboo

2 hours ago, One 48 said:

First hit I get is ARMA 3 and i have this PC game and love it, know what you mean though mate, add some extra parameters, will go look properly now, would need to be in 1/48 though, MrB17 was talking about 1/72

Beginning of this thread has the news of the 1/48 Hurricane IIc, being done by Arma Hobby. Although I spoke of their currently available 1/72 Hurricanes, the 1/48 IIc kit is due in early 2021. It can only be vastly superior to the Hasegawa kit, based on the incredible accuracy of the 1/72 kit. I know that many Hurricane modellers are already agog about this news, myself included.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrB17 said:

Beginning of this thread has the news of the 1/48 Hurricane IIc, being done by Arma Hobby. Although I spoke of their currently available 1/72 Hurricanes, the 1/48 IIc kit is due in early 2021. It can only be vastly superior to the Hasegawa kit, based on the incredible accuracy of the 1/72 kit. I know that many Hurricane modellers are already agog about this news, myself included.

Thanks

• Like 1

I can only hope for a kit/ mould engineering allowing an early Mk.I in the - not so distant - future. An up-to-date kit of a fabric wing Hurricane is long overdue in this scale.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I for one am happy to welcome a new manufacturer to the 1/48 world.  And one with such and excellent reputation for quality products is fantastic.  But I know how all you 1/72 fans feel after Copper State Models moved to 1/32 aircraft and 1/35 armour (but I still have hope).  But looks like Arma will remember their loyal 1/72 customers which is nice to hear also.  This is just a great announcement all around!

• Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 5:00 PM, MrB17 said:

It can only be vastly superior to the Hasegawa kit, based on the incredible accuracy of the 1/72 kit.

Their recent work is highly encouraging but if you have not yet learned that ANY company can drop the ball, I have pity for you.  Far more experienced companies than Arma have managed to go backwards on accuracy, even without jumps in scale. 

Let's keep the overstatement and hyperbole until we see something tangible of it, eh?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

Their recent work is highly encouraging but if you have not yet learned that ANY company can drop the ball, I have pity for you.  Far more experienced companies than Arma have managed to go backwards on accuracy, even without jumps in scale. 

Let's keep the overstatement and hyperbole until we see something tangible of it, eh?

Pity? Sounds like a Red Rose TV advertisement, hahaha. I’m truly sorry (we Canadian’s really are) that my positive attitude and outlook amount to overstatement and hyperbole. When someone drops the ball consistently like HK and their B-17’s for example, I don’t mince words in saying so. Arma Hobby is operated by hard working people who are modellers, and listen to modellers  whom myself and many others can relate to. I have the highest respect for that particular company and what they have accomplished in just seven years.

These people truly take pride in their work, and it shows. 
If anyone wants to have a better understanding of Arma Hobby and the people who are Arma Hobby, I would recommend taking a tea break and reading this story about who they are and how they have gotten to where they are today. I think you will find a warm glow in your heart, like I have.

http://armahobbynews.pl/en/blog/2020/11/24/a-long-time-ago-in-a-resin-foundry-far-far-away-arma-hobbys-beginnings/#comment-210859

Take care and stay safe.

My best regards,

Jeff :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Apropo nothing  - I posted this on the WW2 discussion page -but if you'd like to see some fab private Hurricane photos (and MUCH MUCH more)  from SAAF/Desert Air Force pilots - check this out! The Hurri fuselage on top of the Bedford OY and the one with a shot out tailwheel being towed by a Jeep are dio's ready to happen!

https://biltongbru.wixsite.com/ww2-saaf-heritage/photo-albums

TT

Edited by TEXANTOMCAT
  • Thanks 2

I have never undestood Arma hype, quality of their toolings are still below current Eduard standard of surface details, and more importantly in my opinion their prices for 72nd. scale are over the top.

34€ price for P.11, same as for Profipack Tempest, which is almost twice as big, abd getting far superior PE than Arma's, as they say sometimes hype is everything...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Apropo nothing  - I posted this on the WW2 discussion page -but if you'd like to see some fab private Hurricane photos (and MUCH MUCH more)  from SAAF/Desert Air Force pilots - check this out! The Hurri fuselage on top of the Bedford OY and the one with a shot out tailwheel being towed by a Jeep are dio's ready to happen!

https://biltongbru.wixsite.com/ww2-saaf-heritage/photo-albums

TT

Excellent link! Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thomas V. said:

I have never undestood Arma hype, quality of their toolings are still below current Eduard standard of surface details, and more importantly in my opinion their prices for 72nd. scale are over the top.

34€ price for P.11, same as for Profipack Tempest, which is almost twice as big, abd getting far superior PE than Arma's, as they say sometimes hype is everything...

Well, to put things in perspective, Eduard, whom everyone admires, and rightfully so, has been around for about 30 years. There are over 100 employees. I am a Bunny Club Member.

Tamiya, Hasegawa, Revell, have been around for well over 60 years, just like me.
Arma has been around for 7 years, with a handful of employees.
Arma Hobby, in my own opinion, deserves credit for their accomplishments in such a short time.

If anyone is going to take the trophy for overpriced kits, I would say Hasegawa takes the prize for that. They are still selling kits, that were tooled in the 70’s, at ridiculously high prices.
An old codger like me loves to build vintage kits, OOB for the nostalgia of it. Some of my wooden vintage kits are over 80 years old now. I can really appreciate the modern technology associated with 21 century model kits. I have been a modeller for over 50 years, and I have seen incredible things, in that time. To me, Arma Hobby is one of those incredible things, and I wish them all the success they deserve.

That’s all, no biggie.

Take care and stay safe 

Best regards 

Jeff :)

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Thomas V. said:

erm, not being arrogant like Eduard?  Engaging with modellers,  taking advice, the posted CAD shots of their Hurricane Mk.I,  took onboard detail errors, and corrected them. (compare Eduard on the MiG-21Bis, and still not having sorted out all the glitches on their 1/48th Bf109F/G kits...) 

Simplified their Hurricane Mk.IIc in light of feedback on their Mk.I.

price?

Well, Eduard don't do 72nd (or 48th Hurricanes) and the 72nd kit  is the best in scale.   Scaled up to 48th, it will best in 48th scale.   Thta's a big deal for me. 

As for the PZL-11 price.... well, I don't recall much use of the Tempest in Poland,  if it's too pricey, it won't sell,  but they seem to know what they are doing.    

6 hours ago, Thomas V. said:

as they say sometimes hype is everything...

Indeed. Eduard are masters of it.....   1/48th Bf109G anyone?   

Yep. I'm an Arma fan, but they have made a 72nd Hurricane kit that OOB is really really good, and I hope the 48th will deal with the odd small glitch the 72nd has

6 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

I need a IIb to convert to a Sea Hurricane IIb so watching avidly to see how this goes..

I owe you a PM...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Thomas V. said:

Currently, there is no overlap of subjects between Arma and Eduard so comparisons are somewhat pointless. The Arma 1/72 scale kits seem very reasonably priced to me for the current level of quality. As for the PZL.11, so it’s around the same price as the Eduard Tempest! If I want a PZL.11 that really doesn’t help me since Eduard don’t make one. You also might want to compare the price of the Arma kit to the Mirage Hobby PZL; they aren’t cheap.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are missing the point guys, if someone is at ease paying 25 euros for small single prop fighter, or 34 euros for not so bigger 48th scale one, to each its own.

Problem being that once one company starts upwards pricing spiral others tend to follow, aside from Arma there are plenty of examples in Europe, Revell and Italeri being prime examples, but that is another story.

It is difficult to compare model companies without also considering their markets including intended customers and price points they need to hit.  But just to be clear I love all the new manufactures coming after my money (and I love Eduard too), it's glorious.  Each is different but they seem to all be putting out very good kits (not perfect kits).  I am very happy to see Arma jump into the 1/48 fray and am looking forward to spending some money with them.  

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Thomas V. said:

Can't say I agree with that - Arma Hobby's surface detail is just as good as Eduard in my opinion.

• Like 6

I'm just puzzled at the price comment, tbh. Their 1/72 11c's are 14/9 Eur depending on the packaging on their website. The only item approaching 30Eur is a set with additional detail items in it. I'd say that the 10-20Eur price range for single-seat WWII era fighters is quite typical across manufacturers, perhaps even bit on the lower side. But that's just my take.

I have a number of their Hurris and some of the PZL aircraft. I found them to be quite enjoyable, if perhaps not exactly up to Eduard's latest 1/48 releases. But it is certainly very well done for the scale (especially the corrugated surface of the 11c). The build is somewhat reminiscent of Eduard's kits like the 1/72 110, which are very nicely done but do have some minor fit issues and require bit more attention. As Jeff commented, however, this is still a new company and given their improvement already, I suspect that in few years we will be seeing even better from them.

Also...lets not forget that Eduard will be repackaging their Hurris next year. In a way that's an endorsement of the quality of this kit, I'd say ;)

Jan

• Like 6

I think the 34 Euro price is the 1/48 scale version of the P.11  https://www.armahobby.com/40001-pzl-p-11c-expert-set-1-48.html

As for hype,  from what I've seen, that was all generated by the Hurricane fans.    Airfix had released their rag-wing seven years ago, and modelers had a strong desire to see the metal version in modern 72nd tooling.    Arma came along and obliged the masses.

regards,

Jack

On 12/18/2020 at 12:17 AM, Thomas V. said:

You are missing the point guys

No we're not.

You insist on comparing prices for Weekend Ed boxings with the other's equivalent of a Royal/Profipack boxing. 

See that price tag? That's from a retail store that has it's own markup added.

So, 1/72, nicely detailed kit for around a tenner. 

y4mKlqXsOkzquMrRZqqRtZ8QLGwelYzQ79Bjcntq

And as far as surface detail goes, different tastes.

I can appreciate the manufacturing process on Ed kits, but still not like them (I feel it's overdone).

What Arma does is more to my taste. Doesn't stop me from getting both ;)

• Like 9

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

No we're not.

You insist on comparing prices for Weekend Ed boxings with the other's equivalent of a Royal/Profipack boxing. 

See that price tag? That's from a retail store that has it's own markup added.

So, 1/72, nicely detailed kit for around a tenner. 

y4mKlqXsOkzquMrRZqqRtZ8QLGwelYzQ79Bjcntq

And as far as surface detail goes, different tastes.

I can appreciate the manufacturing process on Ed kits, but still not like them (I feel it's overdone).

What Arma does is more to my taste. Doesn't stop me from getting both ;)

You definitely are missing the point, on your pic Expert Set Hurricane II b/c does not have a price tag, mentioned retails for 21,50€ on Arma's website, compared to between 13,5 to 17€ for Profipack kits ranging from Spitfire/Fw 190 to MiG-21, personal preferences aside, anyone who fondled both can attest to quality of surface detail, as well as quality of PE parts.

Aside from fabric rendition on Hurricane which is superb, Arma is still behind Eduard in both before mentioned categories.

If someone thinks that paying 21,5€ for a single engined prop is prudent-his money, his choice,cannot say a thing, but  here's the key.

As before about "hype", when one does start upwards pricing spiral others follow, few months ago we had similar conversation about 1/72 scale Su-25,  if one has time and will go check it out.

I love Arma and wish them all the best, but as with Clearprop before Seasprite, going too far pricewise does not do longterm favours to the market. One can vote with its vallet, but at that time its usually too late to change anything, prices never go down ( aside from Zvezda's quarterscale Mi-24😉).

Edited by Thomas V.
  • Like 1

Your fondness of overemphasized rivets is showing again :P 

As finely moulded as they are, they're not always realistic and in some cases shouldn't even be there when compared to the real thing 1:1.  And don't get me started on ever changing PE sets (yes - the sheets in recent kits are different and less useful than 1-2 years ago). 
Which is why I stated that it's a matter of preference. 

Btw: just like with Ed, smart shopping pays off. That expert box was 18, and contains extra trees to make the most of the decal sheet. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Source: http://armahobbynews.pl/en/blog/2020/12/30/arma-hobby-new-kit-announcements-for-2021/

- ref.  40004 - Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIC - expert set

https://www.armahobby.pl/40004-hurricane-mk-iic-expert-set-1-48.html

The biggest project for 2021, the model you have been waiting for is the Hurricane Mk IIc in 1/48 scale. Kit includes three plastic frames (plus clear parts). It will most likely be released as the last one in the series. We anticipate its follow-up with Hurricane Mk I and other variants of the Mk II.

40004-box.jpg

hurric-rendery48-001.jpg

hurric-rendery48-009.jpg

hurric-rendery48-008.jpg

hurric-rendery48-007.jpg

hurric-rendery48-006.jpg

hurric-rendery48-005.jpg

hurric-rendery48-004.jpg

hurric-rendery48-003.jpg

hurric-rendery48-002.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee