Hawker Hurricane Mk IIc 1/48 Arma Hobby

Seboo

Wojtek Bulhak announced new Hurricane Mk IIc w 1/48:

skip to 1:43:10

https://scalemodelpodcast.com/podcast/scale-model-podcast-ep-51-arma-hobbies-do-one-thing-well/?utm_source=implebot&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=podcast&utm_term=podcast-announcement&utm_content=en

Today's newsletter

Hello 

Summertime makes people go out, and this year I did it the wrong way. Twisted knee and I am immobilised for some time. Hopefully, it would not delay any news from Arma Hobby.

On the  ScaleModelPodcast website you can hear Anthony Goodman talking with me about Arma Hobby kits. To make that conversation even more interesting, I have announced a kit, that will make you excited for sure. Unfortunately, the release date is shifted a half a year due to several factors out of our control, including pandemic.

Meantime three different new kits are on the way, one will be announced shortly (September release) and two next in the following months.
You can support Arma Hobby visiting our website and ordering models, paints and other products link.

Yours
Wojtek Bulhak
Arma Hobby

PS Last week of the July Preorders, check here and get the second set of plastic parts in a deal package.

Great news methink 🙂

Seboo

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

I just got my email from Wojtek, listening to the announcement of the 1/48 Hurricane, and all I can say is Excellent! I am not dedicated to any scale, and already have several of their Hurricanes amongst the other kits that they have produced. I have become an Arma Hobby collector. The Faberge Eggs of 1/72 aircraft kits is the way I think of them. Now in 1/48, this Hurricane will surely send the others to the second row. I am very happy for Arma right now, they are “the few”, and we all know what is possible from “the few“. Many modellers will in time change this to “the many”. I am always excited to hear news from Arma, and this is big news. 
Thank you Wojtek

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Wojtek Bulhak said:

We will continue 1/72, do not worry!

Good morning Wojtek

Thanks God I  was worried that you would turn to 1/48 which is also a good scale but not the one I usually work in ...

Best Regards

Patrice

• Like 2

I must admit, I'm a bit torn on this. The vast majority of manufacturers seem to prioritise 1/48 these days. And as much envy I felt about Arma only doing their great kits in 1/72, I felt the 1/72 community deserved such a manufacturer. 

But of course I am personally very happy to see Arma stepping into 1/48. And the chosen subject is great as well. So far I only have one Hurricane in my stash. CAs Mk. I. Sometimes to wait pays off 😊

• Like 1

Please, give to kit an "Czech Night Hawk" , top scored Czechoslovakian ace Karel "Kut"  Kuttelwascher "the Night Reaper" marking option...

And i can' t look for Old Hasegawa...

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, AlCZ said:

Please, give to kit an "Czech Night Hawk" , top scored Czechoslovakian ace Karel "Kut"  Kuttelwascher "the Night Reaper" marking option...

And i can' t look for Old Hasegawa...

In any case, if they don’t do JX@E Night Reaper, Techmod decals from Poland does it on their 48116 decal sheet. I have the 1/72 sheet for a few of my Arma 1/72 Hurricanes. Options for the all black and camouflaged version both. 

http://www.techmod.pl/aviation-48/48116-hawker-hurricane-iic

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MrB17 said:

Now in 1/48, this Hurricane will surely send the others to the second row.

Indeed. 

Having spent time dealing with the problems of the 1/48th kits, and looking at the 72nd Hurricane kits Arma have done,  I think they will become like the 48th Eduard SpitfireVIII/IX/XVI, in that if you are serious about accuracy, all the other kits of the subject will become 'obsolete' in comparison.

For example, the nearest competitor for the Eduard Merlin 60 series Spitfires is the ICM kit,  and that requires a load of work to get to to what you get in an Eduard overtree.  There are 3 other Hurricane IIc's in 1/48th

The Hobbycraft,  which is unavailable and basic

Hasegawa, unavailable at the moment, and Hase kits tend to be eyewateringly expensive now when available, and requires a lot of careful work to deal with the faults,  the big problem is the fuselage fabric 'effect' which is a chore to deal with. 

Italeri, whose Hurricane kits have so many minor faults, plus a few major ones, I gave up listing them,  plus they tend to be expensive new.

Arma picking the IIc is a good start, as it is not in direct competition with Airfix Mk.I, and a IIc is easily modifiable into  a IId or IV,  especially if you have the relevant bits kicking about...(what me?) 

Sensible sprue selection would allow for making a separate B wing, easily backdated to a A,  and that covers a lot of Hurricanes,  a quick look here suggest around 2,500 Mk.I's out of 14,000 + built.

the B wing would be of particular use as most photos of VVS Hurricanes show this,  and there are quite a few photos of Polish and Czech RAF squadrons using them as well, as well as being the most commonly made version in Canada.

No idea what Arma plan,  VVS and Canadian planes would require a few new bits,  but nothing that would be bank breaking for the AM crowd if not catered for OOB

(VVS = gun modifications, RS-82 rockets and a Soviet designed trop filter, Canadian require different props, though Ultracast already do one of the props used) 

If they follow the way Airfix made a separate rear lower fuselage,  then a Sea Hurricane just requires a new belly panel, hook and catapult spools,  and even they don't, these are already alternate parts in the Airfix Mk.I kit

On 22/07/2020 at 17:57, WV908 said:

Airfix, you missed the boat.

Airfix did not tool up for a doing a Mk.I, also while the Airfix kit is mostly very good, it has some small but significant and hard to fix errors.the fuselage side panel to wing joint lacks the flare of the original is the big one, as it either a lot of fiddly work and then having to redo all the fasteners, or live  with it.

It's also a a touch too long, and has a very thick wing trailing edge,  which would be easy enough to fix, except the separate ailerons are 1 piece,  and thus are very difficult to thin.... cut down the middle or sand one side flat and redo the fabric effect....

The old modeller joke about having just fixed a kits problems and new tool being announced is true, as I have an Airfix kit I just started hacking away at.....

Personally,  the prospect of an OOB accurate Hurricane in 1/48th is going to make me very very happy. ::yahoo:

29 minutes ago, MrB17 said:

In any case, if they don’t do JX@E Night Reaper, Techmod decals from Poland does it on their 48116 decal sheet. I have the 1/72 sheet for a few of my Arma 1/72 Hurricanes. Options for the all black and camouflaged version both. 

Note that the camouflaged version of JX-E is based entirely on a 60's era profile,  as is the AK-G option.

for a long discussion on the camouflaged version of JX-E and photos of the all black option see here.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234976286-hurricane-mk-iic-flown-by-km-kuttlewascher/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Indeed. 

Having spent time dealing with the problems of the 1/48th kits, and looking at the 72nd Hurricane kits Arma have done,  I think they will become like the 48th Eduard SpitfireVIII/IX/XVI, in that if you are serious about accuracy, all the other kits of the subject will become 'obsolete' in comparison.

For example, the nearest competitor for the Eduard Merlin 60 series Spitfires is the ICM kit,  and that requires a load of work to get to to what you get in an Eduard overtree.  There are 3 other Hurricane IIc's in 1/48th

The Hobbycraft,  which is unavailable and basic

Hasegawa, unavailable at the moment, and Hase kits tend to be eyewateringly expensive now when available, and requires a lot of careful work to deal with the faults,  the big problem is the fuselage fabric 'effect' which is a chore to deal with. 

Italeri, whose Hurricane kits have so many minor faults, plus a few major ones, I gave up listing them,  plus they tend to be expensive new.

Arma picking the IIc is a good start, as it is not in direct competition with Airfix Mk.I, and a IIc is easily modifiable into  a IId or IV,  especially if you have the relevant bits kicking about...(what me?) 

Sensible sprue selection would allow for making a separate B wing, easily backdated to a A,  and that covers a lot of Hurricanes,  a quick look here suggest around 2,500 Mk.I's out of 14,000 + built.

the B wing would be of particular use as most photos of VVS Hurricanes show this,  and there are quite a few photos of Polish and Czech RAF squadrons using them as well, as well as being the most commonly made version in Canada.

No idea what Arma plan,  VVS and Canadian planes would require a few new bits,  but nothing that would be bank breaking for the AM crowd if not catered for OOB

(VVS = gun modifications, RS-82 rockets and a Soviet designed trop filter, Canadian require different props, though Ultracast already do one of the props used) 

If they follow the way Airfix made a separate rear lower fuselage,  then a Sea Hurricane just requires a new belly panel, hook and catapult spools,  and even they don't, these are already alternate parts in the Airfix Mk.I kit

Airfix did not tool up for a doing a Mk.I, also while the Airfix kit is mostly very good, it has some small but significant and hard to fix errors.the fuselage side panel to wing joint lacks the flare of the original is the big one, as it either a lot of fiddly work and then having to redo all the fasteners, or live  with it.

It's also a a touch too long, and has a very thick wing trailing edge,  which would be easy enough to fix, except the separate ailerons are 1 piece,  and thus are very difficult to thin.... cut down the middle or sand one side flat and redo the fabric effect....

The old modeller joke about having just fixed a kits problems and new tool being announced is true, as I have an Airfix kit I just started hacking away at.....

Personally,  the prospect of an OOB accurate Hurricane in 1/48th is going to make me very very happy. ::yahoo:

Note that the camouflaged version of JX-E is based entirely on a 60's era profile,  as is the AK-G option.

for a long discussion on the camouflaged version of JX-E and photos of the all black option see here.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234976286-hurricane-mk-iic-flown-by-km-kuttlewascher/

Ah yes, that discussion. I have been through that more than a few times. I highly recommend going through it, if you are serious about the Hurricane, however there really aren’t that many WWII aircraft, or from other eras, that have photographs of both sides, top and undersides taken on the same day. They exist, however they are not too common. (Memphis Belle had the hell photographed out of it). More to the point of providing concrete evidence of a particular paint scheme, markings, weathering and irregularities. Now with that said, if you are building for a serious contest, or a museum, all this would matter. I have been down that road in the 80’s and 90’s, and I found that it becomes more of a task than one had planned for, to achieve the best possible result. Now I am retired and don’t do contests any longer. I just enjoy putting my kits together and put them on the shelf or hang the heavies from the ceiling. I only have one aircraft that I am anal about.......you guessed it, the B-17.  I could make the Hurricane discussion look like a short paragraph, with all of the data and photos I have sourced over more than 40 years. (Book in the works). Getting back to the point of JX@E BE581, I plan on building it in 5 scales. They won’t be judged, possibly displayed. So although I know what to do with the various kits, as far as fault fixing, the final finish will have to be largely conjectural.  I have loved the Hurricane since I saw one being restored in Carmen Manitoba back in the sixties. Bob was a friend of my late father and a family friend as well, lots of good stories there. The first time I saw the Hurricane started, I ran like hell! All that noise and smoke and flames were new to me, and scared the poo-poo out of me. It was a huge thrill to later see it, and the rest, in the Battle of Britain movie. Hurricane fever had struck! Spits and Ankles too, haha. The Arma Hurricanes will provide kits now for both 1/72 and 1/48. Those will be the crowning jewels for certain. I really look forward to watching Arma grow, they have already shaken some up considerably!

Happy trails 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MrB17 said:

Getting back to the point of JX@E BE581, I plan on building it in 5 scales. They won’t be judged, possibly displayed. So although I know what to do with the various kits, as far as fault fixing, the final finish will have to be largely conjectural. 

There is a non-conjectural BE581/JX-E,  the overall black one.

The camouflaged profile, well, this is the problem with the no photo at all profile.   I have seen too many badly done profiles.

some points.

There is no evidence that 1 Squadron used the Night Intruder scheme.

There is evidence that 1 Squadron repainted their Hurricanes in Day Fighter Scheme in summer 1942, and there is evidence that repainted nightfighters had paint problems

see

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235025819-interesting-scheme-for-the-hurricane-fan-to-replicate/

in particular

14191980055_2108d992da_b.jpg&key=7d175c8

18606020334_51c959033f_b.jpg&key=738dc6e

now the profile apart from the red code letters and black undersides, (and a bad paint job may have looked more black than this)  and that the starboard code order above runs Y-JX,  and the Sky band wraps around underneath,  that I would believe.

Note the Air Britain listing

BE581 - 1/486/253/532

Hit hedge and overturned in forced landing at night while lost in bad weather on Q-site 1m NW Mablethorpe, Lincs, 7.11.42

so went through another 3 squadrons in 1942.

the profile is dated 4th may 1942.  The change to C type roundels is mid May 1942.  

12 hours ago, MrB17 said:

however there really aren’t that many WWII aircraft, or from other eras, that have photographs of both sides, top and undersides taken on the same day.

indeed.  Though JX-Y above is one...

I hope this may help for any future models of BE581. 

• Like 3

Arma choosing the Mk. IIc for a foray into 1/48. Great start. This shelves all my plans (quite advanced) to mod existing 1/48 Hurricanes to make the definitive IIc. Now I will wait to see what they provide. Very promising.

Ray

• Like 1

I know discussions about  "pure" camo on JXoE "Night Reaper" - black or semi-black... So, i can build  both options :) I planned it, with Arma´s small scalle Hurri, but never bought it - and now i wait for quarter scale kit... Night Reaper have a Czech decals maker too, but when you have it in box you can´t spend any money... simple, dear Watson... (Escpecially, when you can built it double). When i was a Kid, i  read a Robert Darlington "Kut´s "  Son in Law  book "Night  Hawk"  and build their Hurri from Směr kit (ex Heller ?). But this is a 25 years ago 🐵. And, yup, i wait for nice Hurri kit from Ed´, but i think a Arma make it  in competition quality, because their small scale kits looks gorgeous !   So, i´m happy  a Arma made  an Mk. IIC  soon...  I can hope a new quarter scale Hurri landing under X-mas tree this year ?  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Regarding Karel M. Kuttelwascher’s Hurricane IIc - mysterious camouflage. I have contacted Roger Darlington, concerning his thoughts about this. He is still confused about the camouflage, partly because he met with the late Don Parks, who was a flight mechanic for 1 Squadron at the time, and was adamant he saw nothing other than black. The book “Night Hawk”, was again published in 2017, in softcover. This new addition has additional text and photos not shown in the original hardcover edition. According to Roger, there are two other photographs of JX@E in the newer edition, which I have coming from the UK, I’ll be lucky if I receive it before late September. The reason I contacted Roger was because of a photo I spotted in the Daily Mail. It shows Karel crouching on the port wing root area, and a ground crew member, also on the wing, with a 1 gallon paint bucket that has paint running down the side of it. To me it looks too light to be even matte black. Straddling the top of the can is a paint brush with the bristle end facing the camera. There is a fairly clear, hard edged demarcation running over the leading edge, roughly fore and aft. Now I can’t say what colour it is, but if it’s a demarcation and not a shadow, (note there are three areas of differing tones visible just on top, around the fuel cap?) Possibly the darkest area is black under shadow, which coincides with the underside and external tank, however the lighter area seems closer to the paint on the bucket. Now if this is taken on a day where paint was being applied, and if it’s camouflage we are seeing, the demarcation would suggest a B scheme and not the A scheme shown in every illustration since Goulding’s. There are two nice shots on BM here, I think posted by Troy, of an echelon of 1 Squadron Hurricanes in DFS? that apparently shows the last Hurricane JX@J in a B scheme? I’m just asking, I have no desire to be caught in a tussle. I haven’t seen the aforementioned photo discussed here, unless I missed it. Another  possibility is that the paint in the bucket is red lead paint for the exhausts, which was apparently applied by brush, and that makes sense. Incidentally I was an aircraft refinisher for Victoria Air Maintenance in the 90’s, so I am very familiar with camouflage and paint types. Getting back to JX@E, I am not trying to open a can of worms here, just noticed that photo and couldn’t help but wonder what this photo is telling us. There are other scans of the photo on blogs, which are poor at best, however the one in the Daily Mail is much better and from Roger himself, so I post the link and not the photo. Not being %100 percent clear on the rules concerning that. Scroll down, it’s unmistakable and let’s hear your thoughts about it. Roger is looking forward to any further developments, that come from this. I have contacted Roger again, requesting permission to post the actual photo here.
BTW, any ideas on the colours of the cannon covers?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4587714/Night-intruder-flight-ace-s-amazing-story-new-book.html

Happy trails,

Jeffrey

Edited by MrB17
Typos, unnecessary gibberish

Interesting, never heard of these guys before.

Do they produce normal injection moulded plastic kits or is this limited run resin kinda thing? Not knocking that if it is, but had bad luck with kits of that type before.

Subject matter, the Hurricane Mk II is right up my street though.

12 minutes ago, One 48 said:

Do they produce normal injection moulded plastic kits or is this limited run resin kinda thing? Not knocking that if it is, but had bad luck with kits of that type before.

Google Arma.....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, One 48 said:

I have several of their kits, and they are high quality injection molded, beautiful decals and if you get the expert kits, photo etch, canopy masks etc. Very reasonably priced, they are the best 1/72 Hurricanes I have seen. And now the IIb, there’s a leak in my wallet!

Happy trails,

Jeffrey :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

Google Arma.....

First hit I get is ARMA 3 and i have this PC game and love it, know what you mean though mate, add some extra parameters, will go look properly now, would need to be in 1/48 though, MrB17 was talking about 1/72

• Like 1