Airfix Folland Gnat in 1/48th Scale.

G'day Chums,

For your delectation I present my take on the Airfix 1/48th Gnat.I had five goes at the paint job on this one,brush painted Pactra,brush painted Humbrol 209 enamel,both of which came up too lumpy and had to be sanded off because they don't respond to Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner.The Pactra dried up in the jar,the Humbrol turned solid after I put some Cellulose Thinners into it's tin so I tried the red and white scheme offered in the kit instead.I didn't do this quite right and wasn't happy with it.That one did respond to Mr Muscle.Then I went and bought a rattle can of Rustoleum's finest from Mr Goodwins Hardware shop just up the road and tried to throw a coat on with that,too thick a coat,Mr Muscle again which did work.Then I decanted some from the rattle can and thinned it for the airbrush,this is the result.

935fd6db-b239-4ad4-a9d2-f16cb7310cfc.JPG

ff1e28f8-6984-4232-94e4-925293fa9adf.JPG

5704f6b4-116f-4483-a8f4-315470856c34.JPG

98e26027-2d51-422b-a7bc-3935fff9645f.JPG

1f39ba54-4925-4928-9965-b2182be34fca.JPG

4ad34e3b-adca-4757-9fbf-6b4344b096ea.JPG

e119f9be-46c9-4022-98dc-cd87ec6a8e85.JPG

217bab28-65b6-4bb9-b6b6-7feaad059a33.JPG

a8d923cf-3745-4ded-8837-ccdc5d61fcdd.JPG

You will be pleased to know that this stuff thins with white spirit and can be removed with Caustic Soda or Oven Cleaner.I also have far more of it left in the can than I'm likely to use in the near future but it was £6.99 well spent and I still don't know why I didn't take this route in the first place.

d973cbbe-3d66-4a7f-a8b4-3156db83431b.JPG

Thanks for looking in Chums.

• Like 40

And well worth all the effort. Really like that.

Dick

• Like 1

Some days paints just don't want to cooperate, do they? The end result is quite nice though. A pleasure to see.

• Like 1

Well a quick look at the history of that cab XM709 shows that it had at least 3 paint jobs if not 4 ....by my reckoning so you arent far off ..BZ to you

• Like 2

You have more patients than I could ever muster and the results look fantastic!  

• Like 1

Your perseverance has clearly paid off....great model, great finish !

Well Done, Sir

• Like 1

Super build, very cool indeed

• Like 1

I to am impressed with your superb model. I have this scheme to do as well but a different a/c. Mine will be the one on the front RAF yearly magazine from 1967. Which inspired me join the Air Force and serve 34 years. Lovely model again.

Sammy

• Like 1

Fabulous job! Great work on persevering with the paint job. I can empathise with you as it was a 72nd scale Airfix Gnat in this same scheme that tipped me over the edge trying to brush paint that dayglo orange! 🤪 I had to sand the lot off several times. In the end I went out and bought an airbrush! No problems since then 😁

• Like 1

Brilliant Gnat, you'd never know it'd had two previous paint schemes, it looks pristine!

• Like 1

Alex, looks a great Gnat, I would have no idea of your paint problems if you hadn’t enlightened us

keep up the good work 

cheers Rich

• Like 1

Great looking Gnat, lovely build and finish !

Wulfman

• Like 1

Thanks to all for looking and chipping in.I will be making a few more of these along the line,it's a lovely kit and there are lots of colour schemes just begging to be done.