A Twin That Did Not Get Away - Eduard 1/48 Bf-110C ***FINISHED***

Thanks on both topics Ray. I will give your exhaust mix a go. I use an HS Infinity airbrush for finer work. 

I do use CA gel to put the cross bars on, but I always have trouble getting it to grab. Hence the mess issue. I've tried the accelerator, but is seems to damage the parts.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Greg Law said:

I do use CA gel to put the cross bars on, but I always have trouble getting it to grab. Hence the mess issue. I've tried the accelerator, but is seems to damage the parts.

That's a shame. I find a huge variation in performance of CA's. The Gel CA I'm using (Loctite) is good for that quick hold using a very small amount and still has a tiny bit of time to adjust. I placed the dab of CA on the oleo strut. As mentioned  before, after this held I touched the joint with Tamiya Extra thin. I then had a neat connection and could do some minor adjustment if still needed with this combination of glues. I did the gear door after this was firm. I had already positioned the doors where I wanted so the cross bar was touching. Here I reversed the process. First a small amount  of Tamiya extra thin and then when set (accelerated with the hair dryer) wicked in some extra thin CA for additional strength at the joint.  

I never use accelerator. Maybe, one day, if I am adding railings to a maritime subject.

16 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

What type of loctite do you use?

So called "Super Attak" in "The Original" and "Gel" although I may of used their "Super Bond Power Flex" Gel on the 110's cross-member. Not sure as the tube was right at the end and has been binned. I'm using the CA's all the time for small part no mess holds to then apply some Tamiya Extra Thin. 

• Thanks 1

Ray just for your next build. I noted today after looking through my books these early Bf 110's didn't have a triangle marking on the props. It was a small rectangle.  Not sure if it is text or just a colour.

Got my front canopy on using your gluing technique. 👍

2 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Ray just for your next build. I noted today after looking through my books these early Bf 110's didn't have a triangle marking on the props. It was a small rectangle.  Not sure if it is text or just a colour.

Got my front canopy on using your gluing technique. 👍

Hi Greg,

Yes you are correct on the prop markings. You could easily have no prop markings or just use the rectangle part under the VDM triangle. There is that excellent image of a 110 at the gun butts that shows it. I took a little artistic license to jazz up the props.

Ray

On 9/14/2020 at 10:23 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I always found accelerator to make a brittle join, I stopped using it 20 years ago for that reason. I kept having stuff snap off or crack when i was barely handling it. 

Hi Dennis,

I think after a while you get your CA technique working for you and find little need for accelerator. I have accelerator and just never use it. It's in the same category as my tube of putty. Still in the box. Maybe if I had a stack of long ship railing to do it may be necessary. Then again, maybe not. 

Ray 

17 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Dennis,

I think after a while you get your CA technique working for you and find little need for accelerator. I have accelerator and just never use it. It's in the same category as my tube of putty. Still in the box. Maybe if I had a stack of long ship railing to do it may be necessary. Then again, maybe not. 

Ray 

Believe it or not the best method I've ever found for getting C/A to stick fast and hard(not brittle)was to breath hot breath on it for a minute or two. I use gel C/A and hold the pieces in place while i exhale hard deep breaths on the spot. Sounds very silly but the hot humid breath seems to solidify the C/A quite fast. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Believe it or not the best method I've ever found for getting C/A to stick fast and hard(not brittle)was to breath hot breath on it for a minute or two. I use gel C/A and hold the pieces in place while i exhale hard deep breaths on the spot. Sounds very silly but the hot humid breath seems to solidify the C/A quite fast. 

Exactly 👍 I do the same.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
23 minutes ago, John Vasco said:

Nice page...

Yes John, shows it perfectly. Is it one of yours? If you like I'll take it down or correctly reference it.

Ray

Just now, John Vasco said:

On the contrary, Ray, leave it up.  I can post up other sample pages from the two volumes that came from.  Not looking to advance myself, or publicise my books, but if it is helpful to those who wish to do a model(s) of the early war Bf 110s, I am more than happy to help in any way I can, and give them pointers.

With the internet these days you often pick up images without clarity on the source but important for us who are keen to talk the subject. I would like to reference the source so even if you PM me details I'll add it to the pic.  It was the perfect image for what I was trying to replicate.

• 10 months later...