A Twin That Did Not Get Away - Eduard 1/48 Bf-110C ***FINISHED***

To my mind a definite improvement Ray, now looks much more early LW than late. But my perception is biased by the colours I’ve been using and the few colour photos I‘ve seen over the years. Complicated ain’t it 😁!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Complicated ain’t it

Sure is. In the end you go with what you like and judgement based on a number of expert interpretations and research. If I built this when I was a kid I would of had a nice bright light blue underside and been very happy.  Go well with a solid one colour dark green upper surface.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

A good alternative to polishing compounds are nail polishing 'boards'. I use these on kits as I assemble them and they give a very good shine to the plastic, and bring canopies up well too.

Nice job on the 110 mate - looks brilliant so far

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Peter Roberts said:

Nice job on the 110 mate - looks brilliant so far

Thanks Peter, It is coming together nicely. 

6 hours ago, Ray_W said:

It's very shiny because I had already applied a gloss coat of Mr Colour GX 112 UV Cut before making the decision to change. 

That's looking really nice Ray, I do not have to bother with UV proof varnish where I live, cos it seems to always be bloody raining, and yes as I type this, rain is pattering on the windows.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Retired Bob said:

That's looking really nice Ray, I do not have to bother with UV proof varnish where I live, cos it seems to always be bloody raining, and yes as I type this, rain is pattering on the windows.

Hi Bob,

Thank you. Yes, much happier with the revised colour. 

Funny thing, I originally bought the GX112 UV Cut because I could not get my usual GX100. Now I prefer GX112. The weird thing is that it just seems to spray a little more nicely for me.  I'm about to "Take 2" with another coat of GX112. Hopefully, decals tomorrow.

Enjoy the rain, back home we're always looking for it and when it comes it comes with a vengeance.

Ray

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Enjoy the rain, back home we're always looking for it and when it comes it comes with a vengeance.

It is so much nicer to be in my garage to spray my models on a nice sunny day, I'm happy with 20/21 degrees C, a gentle breeze caressing the oak tree to provide a gentle rustle of the leaves.  What have I got at the end of August, the height of our summer, rain, more rain and strong winds snapping branches, the temperature at the weekend was down to 5 degrees C at night!  Heating on in August, it's wrong I tell you , wrong!  It's not helping the modelling either. :penguin::penguin:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Here it is the first day of real spring weather. Blue skies a gentle breeze, nice temperature and all feels right with the world.

Warm here in Eastern Europe. Perfect spraying conditions with Mr Color Leveling Thinner so no tip drying.

Finished the colour coats with a little variation and scuffing in the high traffic areas. While looking at period photos, I came to the conclusion that Eduard's splinter scheme is incorrect for the Bf-110. I stayed with it as I had already done it that way. Anyway, for a neat respray job of RLM 02 over RLM 70, as done at the time, it will do.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_63

I also applied the gloss coat - Mr. Color Super Clear III UV Cut GX 112.  All ready now for some decals at last.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_62

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_61

This image shows why I like the Gunze range. They lay down beautifully smooth and thin with good density. The gloss coat is less for decals and more for surface protection from any post weathering processes like my preferred enamel washes and oils. Of course it is also good for the decals.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_60

I'll leave it overnight to harden and then get into the decals.

Ray

• Like 13

21 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

I think you are going to pass me as I have to wait till Sunday to add the underwing codes as they are home made.

Hi Greg,

There is one big difference. You have multiple builds ongoing and I am exercising my normal principle of just working on one at a time. I am getting close to starting the Eduard Spitfire.

Up early this morning and put on a few decals. Cartograf, heavy base large coffee mug (Ikea), warm water, Mr Mark Setter and Mr Mark Softer. Sucking down nicely.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_66

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_65

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_64

Ray

• Like 12

8 hours ago, Ray_W said:

I am getting close to starting the Eduard Spitfire.

I'm building my Eduard pair, both 19 Squadron machines (my old Sqn)  The early one from 1938 with WZ-H codes and the late one with QV-H codes from September 1940.

8 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Up early this morning and put on a few decals. Cartograf, heavy base large coffee mug (Ikea), warm water, Mr Mark Setter and Mr Mark Softer. Sucking down nicely.

I'd read that the Mr Mark setter and softener was too strong to use on Cartograf decals?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I'd read that the Mr Mark setter and softener was too strong to use on Cartograf decals?

Hi Bob,

I use their "NEO" range.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_68

I had read (the dangers of the internet) that this was a brew designed by Gunze for non-Japanese thinner decals. Whether this is true or not is open to speculation. I have never seen anything official from GSI Creos.  In fact, I have never seen anything but the NEO range. Interestingly, GSI Creos do not show the "NEO" range on their Japanese website.

The important thing is what I do know and that is both products perform exceptionally well with Cartograf. I use with confidence.

4 hours ago, Greg Law said:

The part that worries me with this build is the landing gear. It looks rather weak on the attachment points if I'm reading it right.

Greg, it is nicely triangulated so should have some strength. I will ensure good plastic to plastic glued joints by removing any residual paint. The main oleo strut also sits on a block off the front wall of the wheel well providing a good solid gluing position. I had already decided that I will add some additional strength and insert a brass pin at this location. We will know the outcome this weekend.

3 hours ago, Greg Law said:

This Aircraft as shot down by F/O Webb on 16 August at 17.10 at Lee farm, Clapham, West Sussex pilot was Ff: Oblt Urban Schlaffer and Bf: Ogefr Franz Obser. Both were PoW.

Thanks for the info. The only image I have seen of this aircraft is this very grainy photo.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_67

Ray

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Greg Law said:

Yes that is the one in Wingleader's Battle of Britain combat archive.  Book 5.

It is an excellent series, but rather expensive at £25 each and so far it is up to book 8.

Thanks Greg, I think a little bit of speculation on the scheme by some profile artists although definitely not an RLM 65, 70, 71 scheme so, in my view, making quite an attractive subject. 

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_69

I have put anther light coat of GX112 just over the decals and this evening I'll apply a little targeted Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color (black and brown) and some oil paint where needed before the final clear coat. Any final airbrush work such as exhaust staining, panel edge shading, and dirt I will do after the final coat and assembly of the other bits and pieces that still need to go on. 

Ray

• Like 4

There were apparently two different versions of 65, one (the earlier?) being considerably bluer than the other.  As this difference was not represented on early sets of colour  chips (if it is now?) then there was much room for confusion.  76 was also not a pure grey but a blue-grey, at least until the very late war pale version.

However, a beautifully done model.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

There were apparently two different versions of 65, one (the earlier?) being considerably bluer than the other.  As this difference was not represented on early sets of colour  chips (if it is now?) then there was much room for confusion.  76 was also not a pure grey but a blue-grey, at least until the very late war pale version.

However, a beautifully done model.

Thanks Graham. Very interesting input on the RLM 65 and 76.

In the end I was happy with the  underside colour once I put a thin coat of Gunze RLM 65 over the Gunze RLM 76. Ended up with blue-grey sitting somewhere between both colours. 

Ray

I was able to get some quality time at the bench - working on the small things.

Quickboost exhausts checked for fit, adjusted and painted up ready to glue in place.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_74

Props and spinners assembled ready for a flat coat and weathering.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_75

Ditto with the Eduard resin wheels.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_76

But the important thing was finishing the landing gear assembly.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_77

Eduard has done themselves proud. Beautiful 1/48 rendition.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_73

However, I did share Greg's concern about strength even though I had heard no complaints.

13 hours ago, Greg Law said:

The part that worries me with this build is the landing gear. It looks rather weak on the attachment points if I'm reading it right. 

So, to be sure I pinned the main oleo strut with brass rod. 

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_70

The flat base of this assembly sits on a nice shelf. I kept checking the position of the assembly and when happy estimated the required position of the matching hole. Centre marked it with a needle held in a pin vice and then drilled a hole to match the oleo strut pin.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_71

One big advantage of pinning is you have a robust structure allowing some positioning without parts flopping around. Certainly makes the assembly and gluing job much easier.

Here it is yet to be glued.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_72

I glued the pin in place with CA and Tamiya Extra Thin Cement and a very robust undercarriage assembly was the result.

Was it necessary? Not sure. Certainly it is strong enough now.

Ray

• Like 10

Just catching up on this build again Ray, you’re doing a truly wonderful job, it’s all coming together rather splendidly. Those props look excellent, which is fitting In nicely with the overall quality workmanship. Excellent stuff.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2020 at 4:47 PM, Retired Bob said:

It is so much nicer to be in my garage to spray my models on a nice sunny day, I'm happy with 20/21 degrees C, a gentle breeze caressing the oak tree to provide a gentle rustle of the leaves.  What have I got at the end of August, the height of our summer, rain, more rain and strong winds snapping branches, the temperature at the weekend was down to 5 degrees C at night!  Heating on in August, it's wrong I tell you , wrong!  It's not helping the modelling either. :penguin::penguin:

Hi Bob,

am I glad we are not the only ones who think the weather has taken leave of its sense!

Here our winter is all blue sky, warmishly pleasant days and cold nights, and it is lovely. Best time of the year! This year we have seen the sun maybe 30% of the time. Overcast, drizzle, wind, freezing days, etc... Thank heavens for COVID, otherwise our annual visitors would have really been cheesed off!!!

If that means the second coming is nigh, we'd better build our kits faster!!!

Have fun!

JR

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ray_W said:

I had read (the dangers of the internet) that this was a brew designed by Gunze for non-Japanese thinner decals. Whether this is true or not is open to speculation. I have never seen anything official from GSI Creos.  In fact, I have never seen anything but the NEO range. Interestingly, GSI Creos do not show the "NEO" range on their Japanese website.

Thanks for the info Ray, those are the bottles of setter and softener that I have, the key thing seems to be the word "NEO" as you say, it must be for non-Japanese decals.

That is one good looking model, superb workmanship.  Looking forward to the next installment. :thumbsup:

• Like 1