A Twin That Did Not Get Away - Eduard 1/48 Bf-110C ***FINISHED***

Well I'm still 15,356 kms from my stash, so my planned Defiant and Do-17Z builds ain't going to happen. Second option - my Eduard Spit's - on order, will they arrive in time? I'm sure many are wondering that! My Corsair STGB build will wrap up within the 2 weeks. Everyone else is having fun and I could be sitting on the bench. So, I thought a trip to the LHS was in order. Can I be so lucky?

Sitting on the shelf  was Eduard's lovely 1/48 Bf-110C. Without hesitation, the cash quickly left the wallet and here it is, fresh off the shelf and still nicely wrapped in plastic. So, I'm in!!

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_1

I have decided to build one of the options in the Eduard boxing. A nice rendition of Obl. Urban Schlaffer's aircraft with the RLM 70 over sprayed with RLM 02. A result of the Luftwaffe experiment to lighten the aircraft silhouette. Did it work? You be the judge. This particular aircraft was shot down by 602 Squadron August 16, 1940 - a twin that didn't get away.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_2

The build should be pretty much OOB. I'll probably add some resin exhaust and wheels. Maybe replace those cannon and machine guns with some brass. I'm sure another enjoyable build coming up.

Only one problem. When ever I go to the LHS I pay double the price. Got this one free though. Or that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_3

Ray

• Like 14
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Ray_W said:

Only one problem. When ever I go to the LHS I pay double the price. Got this one free though. Or that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Words to live by!

Good little project there, will be good to watch it come together, good luck!

Geoff 

• Like 1

I genuinely won a kit on a tombola at a model show, my wife still thinks I brought it and put a raffle ticket on it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Greg Law said:

I quite like the Bee scheme. 

Yes I didn't mention it but the nose art is another reason I like the scheme. Looks good, hopefully do it justice.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm finally into it. 

Anyone who has followed any of my builds will know that I try to avoid the need for putties and sanding. When I read that this version of Eduard's bf-110 had some fit issues, I thought, excellent, we're up for the challenge. Let's see if the fit issues are true and if so what strategies can be employed to eliminate the problems.

Time for some dry fitting. I actually enjoy this part. It means I'm into a new build and getting things right now can alleviate the pain later. I also decided to not follow the usual "and here is the cockpit in RLM 02". Instead, I decided to target the problem areas - wing joints and nacelles . I did this for two reasons. Firstly, I want access to that inside fuselage wing joint.  I can then put in some small self-tapping screws and fit and unfit the wing at a whim, that is, until I get it right. Secondly, to get a large part of any work related mess and dust out of the way before that lovely highly detailed cockpit is buttoned up in the fuselage.

The gun nose cover also is an apparent poor fit. I'll come to that after the wings are resolved.

So parts separated and taped. The protractor is to ensure that underwing surface dihedral is 5.5 degrees. You'll note that this kit is moulded in Eduard's current grey plastic and not the original olive. I think it unlikely the moulds have been touched - just a more recent moulding.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_4

You have to file a little off the tabs so they will engage into fuselage. Take some off top and bottom until their vertical position is correct.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_5

With the bottom wing joint closed nicely you have this gap on the top.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_9

If I bend the wing up to match it increases the dihedral greater than 5.5 degrees. Also pulling the fuselage side out might give canopy fit problems. This is why I want those self tappers in place. I can then check the fit of the other components and see if the existing plastic will do the job or some shimming is needed.

The nacelles have some gaps although, because they sit slightly forward at the wing root, I can file the hidden part of the wing and push them in a little further. I think this is just an adjustment and fitting job to get good joins.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_6

Similar with the underside. Just a fitting job.  Splay out the sides and adjust.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_7

Really I don't see the fit issues as major. Just some care is needed and due to the lack of location devices and with Eduard's high parts count and inherent fidelity there are a lot of places to go wrong.  

Next post should be solutions.

Ray

Edited by Ray_W
typo
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, Greg Law said:

This is easily fixed Ray. Trim a little bit out of the leading edge so the engine can sit further back. I did this on my Bf110D. It worked well for me.

Hi Greg, thanks for the tip. I had already done the same. Filed the leading edge and the nacelles fit very nicely. Underside also closes up and positions correctly on the flap fairing.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_10

Next the wing root. Hopefully get into this this evening. 

Ray

• Like 8

I glued the wing halves and then added those self tappers so I could fit and unfit the wings and check for any dihedral and fit issues. Those nacelle pods are just pushed on mainly to protect the two fragile struts that protrude from the lower wing.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_11

My discovery? There are no issues. There are no gaps at the wing root if you ensure good clearance on the wing engagement tabs, careful positioning of the wings and full engagement into the fuselage. The underside dihedral is close enough to 5.5 degrees to not worry. Good job Eduard. 👍

I can see a problem if you assemble per the instructions. With the cockpit fitted and fuselage halves joined you may not be able to get the pressure on the inside and ensure a good engagement at the wing root. Fitting the wings now, overcomes this problem.  

So nothing left to do but glue the wings in position. I did dry fit the cockpit tub, canopy rail spacer and canopy to check all was good beforehand.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_12

All done.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_13

You can see the nacelles fit nicely after filing back the wing leading edge to get deeper engagement. They just need adjustment when gluing in position. For that reason, I will glue the undercarriage V-strut in place last rather than follow Eduard's instructions. This will give me access to push the sides out as need be and to ensure location also with the radiator housing.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_14

Bottom line, there are no fit issues. Like many kits today, there are a lot of parts all of which can conspire to give you problems. This is certainly the case when you are provided with minimal, if any, positive location devices. For example, the latest Airfix releases that build perfectly but require some real care in parts preparation and location.  

Time to finish those nacelles and then start the cockpit.

Ray

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Very tidy work Ray B) 

Cheers,

Stew

Hi Stew,

Yes, very pleasing when they go together like that.

Ray

Just another heads-up Ray.  Be careful of the gun shuts inserts in the bottomof the fuselage. I found them hard to get flush. In my case it didn't matter as they ended up under the belly tank. However if you are doing a standard plane it will.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

I found them hard to get flush.

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the heads-up. Quite a fiddly installation. Two pieces Eduard say to add once you join the fuselage. However, once you do that you cannot get them down in position because the cockpit tub is in the way. Only way is to work through the nose under the floor pan. Their lip needs a little filing so they sit in deep enough anyway. My plan is to fit in the taped fuselage and then glue in the correct position one side only while aligned with the other half. I can then work down from the top to ensure position is correct. Let the glue set, separate and work with the cockpit tub. Hopefully the one glued side will keep the other side correctly aligned for joining.

Ray 

• Like 1

Making some progress.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_15

Those nacelles glued in beautifully after ensuring they were full engaged. I'll put the detailed internal sidewalls in later. They have small hinge tabs that stick proud of the surface just asking to be broken off.  I should be able to do this very late in the build.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_16

One thing with the Eduard bf-110 is the high parts count, most in the cockpit, so you spend a lot of time in this assembly. The detail is wonderful be it time consuming. Anyway, modelling for me is also the journey, not just the destination, so I have no complaints. It is a pleasure to work with plastic, be they very tiny parts, rather than mostly PE. If I build another I must thin those lever handles.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_17

The Instrument panel is the usual Eduard vinyl coated PE. I really like these. I did thin some Gunze H70 RLM 02 and flowed it between the dials to get a better colour match with the rest of the cockpit and also take a little of the shine away. The dials were picked with Future.

Just on washes. I use a 95% ethanol for the thinner with the Tamiya and Gunze Aqueous ranges. Simply prefer its performance to the manufacturer's thinners for washes and hand painting. 

Angled to catch the reflection:

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_19

And without the reflection:

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_20

As usual, I broke from the kit instructions and glued the sidewalls to the fuselage. Just my preference.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_18

Not a lot to show for a fair bit of work. Next post should see some real progress in the cockpit detail.

Ray

• Like 11

Greg @Greg Law gave me a warning on the fit issue of the case ejection port covers. Thank you Greg!! The covers do not insert far enough leaving you with a tricky fit working through the nose with little room to play under the floor pan. Very difficult to resolve once the fuselage halves are together and also once you have that cockpit tub in place. Forewarned is forearmed. I chose to attack them early.

I temporarily joined the fuselage halves with tape and rubber bands. This gave me clear access to work from above and below.  The two offending panels are in place on the floor at the front of the cockpit.

The white on the joints is sprayed grey Mr Surface Finisher 1500 to check the joints.  Still on track for a no filler build.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_22

I started with the small panel at the front.  Both panels need to filed to set the panel deeper into the fuselage and finish flush with the surface. The non-cutting edge of the file up against the panel. You need to thin the lip slightly on all four edges.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_21

Once I was happy with the position and fit, I glued one edge only being careful the capillary action did not draw through to the opposite fuselage half. 

While ensuring it was in position, I accidently moved the large panel squeezing a little glue out. Looks like a light sand and re-scribe will be necessary. Oh well, better than filling and sanding.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_23

I then separated the halves to continue working on the interior detail. Those covers are now in place,  correctly positioned, ready in one fuselage half for when I zip the halves together.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_24

I have been making steady progress on this build. A lot of small items need to be made ready. That cockpit is progressing well.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_25

Cockpits getting close.

Ray

• Like 10

Cockpit progress report.

Major items complete and time to start closing up that fuselage.

Before hand, a few pictures and comments.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_29

Couple of thoughts on the pilot's cockpit I made once it was complete applicable if I ever do another: 

1. Check what type of parachute the pilot's wore for this time and version, possibly making the seat cushion shown in some photos. If Eduard have it to scale then the seat has a very deep bucket and would work well with seat cushion and back mounted chute. 

2. That harness could feed through the seat backrest slot. Eduard do not show it this way although I did come across a photo of a Bf-110 seat actually doing this.

3. Do more research on RLM 66 for the pilot's area. I was happy to finish this in RLM 02 to show some detail although a RLM 66 cockpit area might be correct and certainly adds variation and interest.

I made my own control levers with thinner arms and new knobs from thinned polystyrene strip and opened up the slots in the housing in which they engage. I changed the configuration somewhat with fuel cocks to the rear, throttles in the centre and primer pump at the front. Colours are artistic license.

I toned down the Eduard PE vinyl coated belts with a brown wash. The stitching always looks more stark in the close-up photos.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_28

The rear section ready to install.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_30

I discovered the lower cannon magazine canisters foul the side walls so removed them and will put them in later.

Eduard's belts, as supplied for the gunner's seat, are too short. The actual connection point should be low and towards the rear of the seat. If you mount the belts at the correct attachment point then they do not drape into the seat correctly. You then have two options - mount them high on the seat sides to drape in correctly or mount them low and hang them loose. I chose the latter. You can see them when the fuselage is closed so it does add some interest and besides it is nice to show off the leather seat cushion for a change. You will see that in the radio operation position I have one on the seat and one hanging.

Dirty footprints are AK Dark Earth pigment.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_31

I had the Quickboost radio set which adds a some more visual fidelity to the radio sets. Frankly, there is not a great difference with what Eduard supplied in the kit. If you like to dry brush then some detail will really pop out. Eduard call up these parts up in black. I think you could have some fun with dark greys as the primary colour. In this case, I stayed with the kit instructions. I try to paint what I see so I dry brushed a dirty black base with dark grey then picked out some items with a glossier black and white. I spent a good deal of time on these to get a subtle variation and something at least a little in keeping with the actual sets. I know I did not paint the little aircraft indicator. If anyone knows the actual colour I will give it a go.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_32

The sidewalls are relatively clear. A lot of the cabling on the early bf-110 models seems to run in that cable duct high on the starboard sidewall, so, not a lot to add. All of that changed with the latter radar equipped models and then the schrage musik installation, then cables seem to be everywhere. Realistically, there is enough 1/48 detail to make me happy and no glaring omissions (I hope!). Let me know if you think there is something significant and visible. The most visible exception I have seen, so far, are the yellow electrical cables running from lower section of the instrument pedal across near the starboard rudder pedal. In a bigger scale maybe. Modeller's eye candy. I think for me it's ok without.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_27

I added the white tabs shown in the above image to ensure nice engagement of the ejection port covers.

Port sidewall. Again it appears reasonably clean. I just saw a little yellow on the cable missed above the black. The wonders of modern photography.🤪

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_26

Next opportunity at the bench should see the fuselage halves come together.

Ray  

• Like 10

Just now, Johnson said:

Lovely work Ray.

Thanks Charlie, I am really enjoying this build even though I seem to have been working forever in finishing the cockpit. I suppose you can say you get your build money's worth with an Eduard 110. Ray

• Like 1

Final cockpit images before I seal those fuselage halves. 

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_35

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_34

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_33

Ray

Edited by Ray_W
Sent without images
  • Like 12

Lovely precise work you are doing here, I too paint the pre-coloured p/e to correct the colour or to remove the pixilated effect, I then spray matt varnish on and finally put gloss varnish on the dials to represent the glass.  The aircraft indicator on the radio panel I believe is a black a/c on a white background.  I'm glad these aircraft are not the PITA I thought they were as I have quite a few in the stash,  from the C through to the G , impressive aircraft.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Looks absolutely fantastic Ray, I wished I'd picked up the kit when I saw it.

Thanks for the kind remarks. If you see one, grab it. Mine looks like another run on the moulds being done in Eduard's current dark grey plastic.

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

Lovely precise work you are doing here, I too paint the pre-coloured p/e to correct the colour or to remove the pixilated effect, I then spray matt varnish on and finally put gloss varnish on the dials to represent the glass.  The aircraft indicator on the radio panel I believe is a black a/c on a white background.  

Thanks for the nice comments and advice Bob.

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

I'm glad these aircraft are not the PITA I thought they were as I have quite a few in the stash,  from the C through to the G , impressive aircraft.

Reviews of this kit would of scared some would be modellers away. I did not find the parts count excessive and there is very limited PE. Replace the exhausts with aftermarket and I think you eliminate what would be the tedious part of the build for a better effect. I'll post some pics on that soon. I also used the Quickboost MG15 ammunition magazines only because I like their look. This streamlined this part of the build although, again, the kit construction is OK. Thankfully it does not have the option of showing off motors with poor fitting cowls for those who choose to close it up. Now that would be a PITA. I still have that nose to close up.

Ray

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1