41 Sqn Typhoon T3 1:72

"Seek and Destroy"

(Part 2)

41 Sqn's finest

50137214828_6624e939e6_b.jpg

Hi everyone!

I hope you're all keeping well. I've been sitting on this kit (metaphorically of course) since last year when I picked it up at the Cosford airshow.

As many of you will know, I've had a soft spot for 41 Squadron for quite a while now, after my visits to RAF Coningsby (I wrote a little bit about my first visit here). I've done a Typhoon FGR4 and a Tornado GR.4 in 41 Sqn markings prior to this, but it was only after I was trawling through the photos i took that I decided to have a crack at the Typhoon's family model.

50137760096_9e50781aa9_b.jpg

Now unfortunately I didn't have the available decals to model the specific aircraft pictured, but to the casual observer it looks like a 41 Sqn aircraft!

Kit: Revell 1:72 Eurofighter Typhoon Twin-seater

Paints: Vallejo model air

Aftermarket bits: 2x Pavla resin MB Mk.16A ejection seats

Decals: A mix of kit decals and Xtradecal's "RAF/RN Update 2015" set

I've done quite a bit to "liven" this kit up. For example, the cockpit panels were detailed with plasticard, I built the ladder/hatch, the electronic access panel, slime lights on the sides of the nose, scratchbuilt RAIDS pods (simulating ASRAAM's), detailed inboard pylons, drilled out APU exhaust, detailed exhausts, gear bays were detailed (including wiring and adding a honeycomb grid structure to the gear bay walls) and most importantly lots and lots of fasteners (technically not rivets, but I used a riveting tool nonetheless).

On with the photos!

50137760216_5440f276ed_b.jpg

50137216428_2563a73e1d_b.jpg

50137216583_84cbacc378_b.jpg

50137759996_ebdacd2917_b.jpg

50137216963_a2077db447_b.jpg

50137759366_13fcac6ee5_b.jpg

50137759021_9cba4ac161_b.jpg

50137758171_dec93591a7_b.jpg

50137995012_1c74d56d08_b.jpg

50137758086_0937f4c9a8_b.jpg

50137757981_0ccc0e9535_b.jpg

50137214908_67a38aa5c1_b.jpg

Well, there we are then. I'll probably only have chance to do one more model before heading back to university, and I've got a Boeing 777 ready and raring to go!

One of these days I'm rather tempted to do a comprehensive WIP to try and create the most accurate Eurofighter I possibly can (yes I have noticed that this model is missing the rear MAW antenna that can be found above the parachute door, sorry!).

So as always, thank you ever so much for dropping by.

Best wishes,

Sam

50137759931_8100b9630b_b.jpg

Until next time!

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 43

One of the nicest Typhoons I have seen. really good paint!

One minor point, the ERU pistons do not droop out of the pylons as the ejection system sucks them back up into the pylon, if you see one dangling its broke!

Selwyn

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

That is a perfectly executed RAF Typhoon! Those Vallejo paints colour match pretty well. What wash did you use?

Martin

Cheers! I think they do, although I might make them slightly lighter next time. For the specific colours I started with a black primer and then did a solid spray of 71.050 Light Gray. After that, I mixed lighter and slightly darker shades and did a bit of mottled spraying. As for the wash I used the fabulous UMP (Ultimate Modelling Products) Ultimate weathering wash- "Dirt" (over a gloss coat it makes weathering and washing panel lines incredibly easy- no need to worry about burning through the paint with enamel thinners!).

7 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

One of the nicest Typhoons I have seen. really good paint!

One minor point, the ERU pistons do not droop out of the pylons as the ejection system sucks them back up into the pylon, if you see one dangling its broke!

Selwyn

Thank you ever so much sir!

And many thanks for the comments about the pylons, I really appreciate that and I will probably be seeking your expert guidance when I get around to doing my next Typhoon :)

All the best,

Sam

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

You're all too kind, thank you so much!

20 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I've been staring this build off and on for many months now, and just noticed that I hadn't left a comment - this is a great model. I love the added surface detail, and am using it as a reference.

I really appreciate that, thank you 😊

When I've got some spare time (now that I've got a new 1:72 Eurofighter kit) I will have a go at a build where I throw as much reference material as possible at it. With this build I ended up cutting a few corners, and there are a few more details that I would like to include for the next one.

All the best,

Sam

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Great build. Love the extra detail. I worked as an armourer on Typhoon and an still based at RAF Coningsby as an apprenticeship co-ordinator, so if you need any info tips about the aircraft please let me know.