RAF Matador Runway Air Traffic Control Van 1/76 - Help Needed

Space Ranger

In a recently-acquired Airfix Magazine back issue (December 1966), there is an article describing a conversion of the Airfix Matador to an RAF runway traffic control van. I recall building one that matches this description, but much later, and I also recall a scale drawing of such a vehicle. Said drawing is not part of the article. Could it have been in one of the Bellona print booklets? In any case, I'm looking for a copy of this drawing or similar. All assistance gratefully appreciated.

Edited by Space Ranger

21 hours ago, John Tapsell said:

I had seen those, but they are not quite what I'm looking for. Now that I have had some time to think about it, the scale drawing I'm seeking may have appeared in Scale Models magazine, but definitely in the late '60s/early '70s.

Bellona not so far away: there is a 1/76 4-view drawing on p.7 of Mike Conniford's Military Vehicle Pamphlet 4 AEC Matador (a series that briefly took up where the Bellona Military Vehicle Prints and Military Vehicle Data series left off).  Sorry, don't have a scanner so can't send you a scan.

Afraid I can't recall either conversion article but they may not have piqued my interest.

• Thanks 1

Stupid me. What I ordered and received was Bellona's Military Data No. 4 (also by Conniford), not his Pamphlet No. 4. The only copy of it I have managed to locate is in South Africa, and the seller wants $30 plus $23 for shipping! Any other time I might consider it, but in these days of COVID-19 and uncertain shipping and mailing, I'm rather reluctant to spend that kind of money.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have recently disposed of my copy but the  drawing might have appeared in the Airfix Magazine Guide 27 Modelling RAF Vehicles. Now going for silly money in the used markter.

Airfix Magazine Guide 27 has the plans for a Runway Controller's caravan which I can scan if you want - PM me.

The Scale Models magazine also had plans drawn by Ian Huntley for another Runway Controller's caravan based at "RAF Steeple Clayton" - again I can scan if you are interested.

I scratch built for my father the Controller's Caravan he spent many an hour in during 1942-44 based on the latter drawings - as he pointed out that caravan was 'knocked up' by the Station carpenters to a general plan but modified during building to suit the Station's needs.   

He was very envious of another caravan he saw on a USAAF base which used the nose glazing of a B-17 instead of the drafty sliding windows of his - it also had a better heater inside instead of the 'pot-bellied stove' that he had managed to scrounge for his caravan.

Edited by czechnavy
spelling!!
  • Like 1

I sent Mike  a copy of Geoff Laceys plan similiar to Mancurians.  Geoff is no longer selling or drawing plans due to age and failing eye sight. 

• Like 2

Would I be correct in saying that Geoff Laceys plans are now sold by  . . . err . . . . I'll have to get back on that one  🤔  chap who sells oodles of small figures   . . . . 🙄 damm

Dan Taylor  😎 works

Edited by Mancunian airman

4 hours ago, Paul821 said:

I have recently disposed of my copy but the  drawing might have appeared in the Airfix Magazine Guide 27 Modelling RAF Vehicles. Now going for silly money in the used markter.

If you have a Scribd membership, you can download a PDF copy of it for free.

• Thanks 1

Yes Dan Taylor is selling some of Geoffs plans but NOT the full range as before. I am lucky that i had the foresight to buy quite a collection of airfield /RAF vehicle plans from Geoff over six years.

Edited by T-21

4 hours ago, T-21 said:

Yes Dan Taylor is selling some of Geoffs plans but NOT the full range as before. I am lucky that i had the foresight to buy quite a collection of airfield /RAF vehicle plans from Geoff over six years.

Ditto 

I have the list in a folder and I too have dozens of plans  . . . .

I also have TEN issues of Connifords vehicle booklets . . . 

I try to build vehicles for my airfield dioramas and so use plans when I can; however,  I have not heard of these booklets. Could you give more details please?  Do they contain plans?

cheers,

Mike

Mike

Unfortunately the Conniford booklets are long out of print. They contained numerous B/W photos of the subject matter and quite a number of plans, a minimum of seven I would say  . . .

the list . . . . A4 format, page number vary with the content but average would be around 16

1. Bedford OY

2. Leyland Retriever

3. Austin K6

4. AEC Matador

5. Bedford QL

6.Morris Cs8 & C4

7.British 4-Wheeled 30 cwts

8. CMP 8 Cwts

9. Ford WOT 1 & Wot 1A

10.CMP 15 Cwts

He also edited some of the Bellona booklets . . .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BELLONA-BRITISH-LIGHT-MILITARY-TRUCKS-1939-1945-MIKE-CONNIFORD-Paperback-1976/283979361931?hash=item421e7d2e8b:g:0FkAAOSw2WBfNwJc

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bellona-Military-Vehicle-Data-Number-Four-Good-Condition-Book-ISBN/132656401839?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D225075%26meid%3D455ed5d9d0ef4a4384832351bea9548a%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D12%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D283979361931%26itm%3D132656401839%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DDefaultOrganic&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109

Ian

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

the photo shows the inside of the cupola of a caravan at RAF Lasham

and this link has a lot of info on caravans as used by the 8th AF

http://axis-and-allies-paintworks.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?718

spacer.png

Edited by southern comfort
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1