Mig-25 kits

Ranger626

I'm starting my research for a future build of a 1/48 Mig-25 PD/PDS.    I would value some advice or opinions on which kit to use:   ICM or Kittyhawk?   I have a 2013  Brit Modeller message string started by Ya-Gabor about the Kittyhawk kit and it identifies many corrections that could be made.    Many of them are within my skill level, or use aftermarket parts, or I would be willing to ignore.    How does the ICM kit compare to Kittyhawk?   I 'think' it is more recent.    Is it more accurate or easier to build?    Which would you recommend?    I have searched for, bit not yet found any head-to-head comparison reviews to aid my kit choice decision.    

Haven't built the Kittyhawk kit so can't comment on it personally, but I've read some reviews that highlight a few issues with fit etc.

I built the ICM kit last year and I have to say it went together very well indeed. Lovely details and not a bad price. I'd maybe plop for an aftermarket seat just to add that extra bit of detail, avoiding any corrections etc needed for the Kittyhawk kit. So from my own experience I'd say you can't go far wrong with the ICM.

I have build 2 ICM kits, go for them!

For accuracy,

Ease of build,

Price,

Everything else

Apart for a two-seater PU/RU, where KittyHawk is the only option for now...

Do yourself a favour and get the ICM kit. I've started the KH kit and it is less accurate and a tricky build. The nose shape is off, the exhausts are the wrong ones (long ones of the recce types) and broken down into many parts, for the semi-active missiles the kit only provides the earlier R-40R missile (the improved R-40RD was a more common fit for this variant), there is no intake trunking and the wing leading edge is not correct for the fighter variant (no kink).

The fuselage is broken down into many parts which only fit together with great care and it is really advisable to reinforce all joints as KH only provides small ledges which are expected to handle the forces of the heavy components.

The ICM kit on the other hand avoids all those mistakes and is much easier to build (just take care to align the internal bulkheads correctly as this could cause misalignment of the fuselage components later).

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1

I've built the 1/48 ICM PD and RBT versions great kits and great value for money. Revell also reboxed the RBT kit but beware as I think the also released a rebox (possibly Italeri) 1/48 Mig-25PD years ago which is not the same kit.