RAF ground support

Hi Chaps,

I wanted to join this GB with a Classic Airframes Avro Anso to mirror the Airfix Anson I made for the 40th Anniversary back in 1980. Unfortunatly I have not been able to source one and my only elegable Spitfire was built in the Spitfire GB so decided I would not be able to join this GB. However I have found this in the stash which should qualify. It seems every other entry so far is an aircraft so this should add to the variety. 

To furthur complicate matters I am in the process of moving from Thailand back to the UK so have only a few tools and litte paint. Still with a deadline in October I'm sure I can get something done even if its not quickly. Heres a picture of the box. Kit markings will be used.

20200721_164314

Here's my Spitfire at Hawkenge from earlier in the year. The Albion will add to the scene when it all gets reunited in England.

IMG_5694

Cheers

Colin

• Like 11

That looks like a great kit, I will follow with interest.

I was tempted by this in the model shop recently but I have been trying to standardise on 1/72 for aircraft and 1/35 for armour so it didnt really fall in either camp...

As a result I will live vicariously through your build! 😁

I've been working on this over the last few days. Only a few minutes at a time but it's slowly coming together. The fit of the parts is excellent and assembly very straightforward. I built the full engine although non will be seen on the final model but it helps with alignment. The instructions would have you fit the engine block before the accessories. I decided to build the whole engine then add it to the chassis. I'm sure this was easier as alignment is very important. 

For a challenge I was trying to build it without filler but unfortunately the seams on the tank sides are too big. I tried trimming the flange on the lower section but this just moved the problem to the join at the front top. Finally I succumbed and used filler on this seam.

To make later painting easier I omitted the valve gear from the rear section. I'll add it later after painting. I don't know why the distinctive 'trumpets' are missing from the booms. Looks like having to search the parts  bin again! 

Picturesin a moment. ..

Colin 

• Like 2

Be aware of the Airfix colour callouts. They tell you that the interior of the rear area of the tank, inside the doors should be painted Humbrol 86 Light Olive. In reality, the colour should be white, as all other RAF refuelers were painted.

50164975846_5623fa81df_b.jpg

49935397382_b84fca5ca1_b.jpg

50165240672_deee16ff1d_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

In reality, the colour should be white, as all other RAF refuelers were painted.

Makes sense, the erks' first job of the day was to run up the engines to warm them then top-up the fuel tanks, you wouldn't want to be fumbling around the dim back of a bowser in the dark :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Hi Chaps,

Thanks for the notes and pictures above, especially relating to the colour scheme.

Here are the pictures for my second post above.

Basic assembly almost complete. Note the gap in the side of the tank!

20200726_162911

A bit more progress with the cab and tank subassemblies almost done.

20200727_125323

I'm living in a hotel room now as all my stuff including paint have been shipped to UK. Hopefully Ill be getting some paint on this before the end of August.

Colin

• Like 8